GDT: Other Games Around The League 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That assumes that Arizona continues it's suckage. Right now the same amount of points that separate the Sharks from the Kings, separates the Yotes from the Sharks.

It's best take the Yotes seriously as that team has hung onto a seeded playoff position in the standings longer than the Sharks at this point. The Ducks less than the Sharks.

Well, first of all...no. The 5 points that separates the Sharks and Kings is not the same amount of points as the 7 points that separates the Sharks and Coyotes. Two, even if they were the same, there's a difference in the quality of the teams. The gap is closer between the Sharks and Kings as opposed to the Sharks and Coyotes because the Coyotes are not a good team. It doesn't matter how long one was in the playoff position. The Sharks had a significant injury kill their consistency. Since that injury got healthy, they're a vastly better team and put that noticeable gap between them and the Coyotes and it will only get larger. Just look at their GA number compared to the playoff teams. That's your indicator that they're not really a threat.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That assumes that Arizona continues it's suckage. Right now the same amount of points that separate the Sharks from the Kings, separates the Yotes from the Sharks.

It's best take the Yotes seriously as that team has hung onto a seeded playoff position in the standings longer than the Sharks at this point. The Ducks less than the Sharks.

the difference is the yotes are a terrible team.

Wow, first time I've seen that rule, and first I've even heard of it actually. Wild player on a clear breakway, Chicago net empty, player hauled down from behind, for what would normally have been a penalty shot. However, since the net was empty, they just gave him an automatic goal on the penalty instead. I completely understand that rule, but this is the first time I've ever actually seen it occur.

logan had one the last season.

[NHL]733579[/NHL]

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
logan had one the last season.

Thanks. Didn't remember that. In my defense, the way the team was going turned me off really early last year. Probably the least I watched of the team in a season since the (not even remotely) fondly remembered Al Sims era. He was the guy who famously said, as the team was playing spectacularly badly: "You fans are being too nice, you should boo us".. Because yeah, encouraging your fans to boo you when you're playing terribly is really the bestest of plans to motivate your hockey team and enhance the hockey watching experience....

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Thanks. Didn't remember that. In my defense, the way the team was going turned me off really early last year. Probably the least I watched of the team in a season since the (not even remotely) fondly remembered Al Sims era. He was the guy who famously said, as the team was playing spectacularly badly: "You fans are being too nice, you should boo us".. Because yeah, encouraging your fans to boo you when you're playing terribly is really the bestest of plans to motivate your hockey team and enhance the hockey watching experience....

that was january though and the team was in playoff position

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You know he was given the vote of confidence to be the coach for a few years with that team. To basically tell the GM that a handful of players need to go now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I feel bad for Todd. When Mike Babcock was debating leaving Detroit, Don Cherry said don't go to a rebuilding team, it'll break your heart and keep you up nights. It's what happened to Don Cherry after he left Boston. Obviously Todd is dealing with some of that right now.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I feel bad for Todd. When Mike Babcock was debating leaving Detroit, Don Cherry said don't go to a rebuilding team, it'll break your heart and keep you up nights. It's what happened to Don Cherry after he left Boston. Obviously Todd is dealing with some of that right now.

It is hard to feel bad for him though. He knew exactly what he was getting into. He went to a team that has has 4 1st overall picks in the last 6 years. They do have new management which should help but that change is not going to happen overnight. A lot of their players have matured in a losing culture and their hearts are just not in it.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm jumping on the not feeling bad for him bandwagon as well. Everyone knows that the current rebuild of the Oilers is going to take a few seasons, and that's assuming Chiarelli knows what he's doing, which is a "big if," of course.

I'm guessing he was under the impression he could change things and honestly watching them their effort is way better. But they are still kids that never learned those little tricks that make you more successful. Who is showing them offseason prep? Game day prep? Those on ice tricks to give you an edge?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not me, he ****ing quit

Sure, the team quit on him first, but in a HC that's just unacceptable garbage

I'm happy to see him rot in oil country

He quit like Harbaugh quit. Someone above him didn't want him around anymore, he knew it, and stepped out before it came to blows and he ends up out of the job anyway.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It is hard to feel bad for him though. He knew exactly what he was getting into. He went to a team that has has 4 1st overall picks in the last 6 years. They do have new management which should help but that change is not going to happen overnight. A lot of their players have matured in a losing culture and their hearts are just not in it.

I honestly don't really feel bad for him. I don't think he knew what he was getting into though. Todd's only experiences as a coach of any kind in the NHL was part of teams with elite players playing in their prime. Thornton, Pavelski, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Marleau, Boyle etc. He went to a team that has all the potential you could want and none of it has been realized. The culture isn't good either obviously, but he wasn't the one turning prospects into elite players. He got handed them with Detroit and San Jose.

Not me, he ****ing quit

Sure, the team quit on him first, but in a HC that's just unacceptable garbage

I'm happy to see him rot in oil country

This is a valid and fair point.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm guessing he was under the impression he could change things and honestly watching them their effort is way better. But they are still kids that never learned those little tricks that make you more successful. Who is showing them offseason prep? Game day prep? Those on ice tricks to give you an edge?

McDavid is their most mature player. At 18. Hall, RNH and Eberle have been around long enough to no longer get the "kid" excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad