Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XL: Bring on the Cactus League already

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
can't believe Dexter Fowler is still out there.

I don't care about the compensation pick we get back if the Orioles or whoever signs him...not sure I want Heyward in center out of the gate, and the depth Fowler brings to this outfield is huge as Soler and Schwarber don't provide the greatest defense out there...

Would love to see Fowler and Heyward out there to be honest..

I still think there a good chance at bringing Jackson back, and that could definitely help late in the game. I would definitely be for that scenario. I have read that Soler has dropped some weight though and looks a little more mobile out there in RF. Schwarber is a solid athlete for a big guy and I think he will continue to improve in LF. At the very least I think he will become competent out there.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
You think Toronto sports fans are sick of seeing Chicago as their opponent? Bulls just laid a smack-down on the Raptors for the 8th straight time and historically own them as well. Blackhawks have been killing the Leafs for a long time as well!

So sick of the Bulls

Think the Raps have led at half in 6 of the 8 too...just awful.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Nets did that recently with Prokorov, but the Sox have been doing it for years.

Robbie Alomar twice
Sandy Alomar
Manny Rameriz
Ken Griffey Jr
Jimmy Rollins
Jose Canseco
Andruw Jones
Omar Vizquel

It's a Sox tradition.

Bo Jackson?:yo:

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
The offense still is going to suck. They are woefully short on hitting to be contenders. It will be a disappointing season no matter who is the manager.

Not necessarily true: Eaton and Cabrera had good seasons. Awful starts across the board especially with these dudes hurt badly.

The Toddfather and Abreu are beasts.

Their catching combo is underrated as together they should be around 3 WAR.

Lawrie fits in well at 2b and is a good hitter (for a 2b). Very good defensively.

The Sox will be around 81-86 wins IMO barring enormous setbacks (either way.)

Their pitching staff will do work, especially if they can get Danks out of that rotation.

LaRoche at DH had an outlier season and will likely rebound to being a competent part of the lineup, and kill RHP as he always has. Dunn did the same thing.

Avi (**** me for liking the guy) looks like a lost cause but may get a shot in RF unfortunately... Only 24 but... puke.
Saladino , meh. Career minor leaguer that fluked for a little bit in the majors.

Those are the scary parts of our lineup.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Sox. Frazier is a big upgrade. Lawrie is a decent one. You would hope there would be some bounce back in Cabrera and Eaton (brutal early).

If the Sox can get average offense, they should at least be in the mix (.500 or better).

I hate Garcia though and think he's a lost cause. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It would be nice if LaRoche could bounce back, but we all thought that for a few years about Dunn. I don't expect much. I just hope they move on quickly if he's not producing.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
LaRoche wasn't that good to begin with.

I think defense is more of a concern than offense at this point.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
The offense still is going to suck. They are woefully short on hitting to be contenders. It will be a disappointing season no matter who is the manager.

Looks like they half assed it again. They needed Cespedes, Upton, etc but once again failed. Just another middling team in perpetual purgatory.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Looks like they half assed it again. They needed Cespedes, Upton, etc but once again failed. Just another middling team in perpetual purgatory.

Tigers way overpaid, and Cespedes & Gordon stayed put. And now Fowler finally got paid, he's not worth losing the pick anyway. Wouldn't say they "half assed" it, there just wasn't that much available.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Dan Bernstein ‏@dan_bernstein · 16m16 minutes ago

Sources tell me the #WhiteSox made a "firm, serious offer" to Dexter Fowler, but he opted for more money, not budging from his demands.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
Dan Bernstein ‏@dan_bernstein · 16m16 minutes ago

Sources tell me the #WhiteSox made a "firm, serious offer" to Dexter Fowler, but he opted for more money, not budging from his demands.

Lol Bernstein. Not sure if I believe much of anything he says.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi · 3m3 minutes ago

#Cubs trade Chris Coghlan to #Athletics for RHP Aaron Brooks.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Gotta believe they'll go out an get Jackson now.

Baez fills that super utility role, so Coghlan was expendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad