Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XL: Bring on the Cactus League already

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Originally Posted by qwertyu1
I'm comparing hitting stats from that season, which are actually very close considering Kittle's advantage in HR's and RBI's with many fewer at bats.

Rbi's :laugh:

And no- That doesn't transcend eras because if the hitting aspect is skewed due to different eras, the war will change as a result.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/war/

The goal of WAR is to provide a holistic metric of player value that allows for comparisons across team, league, year, and era and a framework for player evaluation. While there will likely be improvements to the process by which we calculate the inputs of WAR, the basic idea is something fans and analysts have desired for decades. WAR estimates a player’s total value and allows us to make comparisons among players with vastly different skill sets. Who is better, a slugging first baseman or a superlative defensive shortstop? WAR gives you a method for answering that question.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois

I'm with you on that, RBI's are stupid. Most people are too simple to realize that W's, L's, and RBI's are 100 percent irrelevant by themselves (W's and L's are always irrelevant, no matter what)

However 9 HR's more than Bryant with 40 less at bats, and only a .040 less OPS.

And still- it can't make up the difference of how a player in a different era hitting wise would hit today.

35 HR's is crazy back then.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Um not really, when you consider he had 40 less at bats and 9 more HR's. HR's are infinitely more valuable than any other type of contribution on offense.

Bryant had a marginally better season

OPS isn't a cumulative stat like WAR, you don't get more for having more at bats.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
This argument is so silly, just look at their wRC+ and wOBA compared to the rest of the league in their given year

Bryant - wRC+ 18th, 19th
Kittle - wRC+ 48th, 39th

That's a different tier of player

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
OPS isn't a cumulative stat like WAR, you don't get more for having more at bats.

I know that.

However, you'd have to consider he would have at least 3 more HR's or so.

So would you take those 12 HR's over Bryant, or take him getting on base more often with the .021 better batting average and .051 better OBP?

I personally would, but that absolutely is not a slam dunk.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Getting back to things that might actually matter, you know, the future....

Lots of rumblings on Twitter of a potential Castro Gardner trade.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Avy Garcia on trade block

Doubt he will get anything great for Sox if they do move him. Though maybe him + other assets could get them a 3B upgrade or something

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
No to Gardner/Castro trade unless the Cubs get something else in return. I like Eovaldi's arm, and working with Arrieta/Lester and Bosio would do wonders for him.

-----

Bulls lost to a better team in GSW, but damn it, I'm laughing at those who are already claiming this Warriors team one of the GOAT's of all times. What hype. There good but not GOAT GOOD, at least not yet.

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
...Bulls lost to a better team in GSW, but damn it, I'm laughing at those who are already claiming this Warriors team one of the GOAT's of all times. What hype. There good but not GOAT GOOD, at least not yet.
Agreed. It's the same with LeBron. Since Jordan retired from the Bulls, James has won 2 rings, while 3 better players have won 14, yet he's better than them. :laugh:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Agreed. It's the same with LeBron. Since Jordan retired from the Bulls, James has won 2 rings, while 3 better players have won 14, yet he's better than them. :laugh:

Great point, because most championships equals best player, which is why Jordan isn't a top-10 player of all time (he's not even as good as Robert Horry), Steve Kerr is better than Shaq, Derek Fisher's better than Magic. Superb analysis.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Hawkman, why would you change your name? Fenway has been that for like 15 years across various boards, you're really not clever copying him.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Looks like Iowa is going to come away with the win, luckily they played a terrible team, but I suppose that summarizes a majority of their schedule. Seriously drives me nuts listening to Iowa fans, and all they can bring up is their wins against Wisconsin and Northwestern. Wisconsin's best win this year is against Illinois, that's sad. Northwestern had a decent win at the beginning of the year against Stanford, but then went on to lose to Michigan and Iowa consecutively by a combined score of 78-10. But, a win is a win is a win, right? Illini in a close one with Minnesota right now, good game.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Looks like Iowa is going to come away with the win, luckily they played a terrible team, but I suppose that summarizes a majority of their schedule. Seriously drives me nuts listening to Iowa fans, and all they can bring up is their wins against Wisconsin and Northwestern. Wisconsin's best win this year is against Illinois, that's sad. Northwestern had a decent win at the beginning of the year against Stanford, but then went on to lose to Michigan and Iowa consecutively by a combined score of 78-10. But, a win is a win is a win, right? Illini in a close one with Minnesota right now, good game.

To be fair, Michigan may be the best team in the Big 10.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Wow, Florida will a very close call against FAU. Goodness they made that way more difficult on themselves than they probably wanted. Also, Citadel (lol) with the upset against South Carolina today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad