Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Where does CLE stand after making these trades? Can they compete against BOS?

I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I don't get to watch a ton of NBA these days.

But generally speaking, I kind of like these moves from the Cavs perspective. They clearly needed a change and needed to get better defensively and I think they did that. Hood is a nice young player who will be worth hanging on to if LeBron walks in free agency. And they held on to the Brooklyn pick which was smart.

The question is weather they can get all these pieces up to speed together in time for the playoffs, especially with Love out for awhile. I'm not sure how I would handicap it in the East, but I like the Cavs chances better now after the moves.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There was no way the Cavs were staying put. They'd even trade the Nets' pick if LeBron confirmed his intention to stay in Cleveland. Everything came to an end with that crazy team meeting where Kevin Love was blamed. Here are the leaks from the Athletic / ESPN:

* LeBron pretty much ripped every Cav executive. He can't stand Gilbert and does not get along with the new GM, Altman.

* LeBron wanted his previous GM, Griffin, to stay. Gilbert fired him.

* LeBron wanted Kyrie to stay. LeBron thought it could work out. However, Kyrie refused to ever set foot on the court again as LeBron's teammate. It was so bad that Kyrie threatened having knee surgery.

* Kevin Love is an outcast. He hangs with no one on the Cavs team. He's like Mirotic on the Bulls.

* LeBron did NOT want to play with Isaiah Thomas any further. There were times he refused to even move when Isaiah had the ball.

* DRose took time off to get married during the season. He's a joke.

* DWade, LeBron, and the overpaid Tristan Thompson are a faction in the locker room. Let's not forget the Kardashian or Gaby Union factor.

* Let's not forget JR Smith and his antics.

* Lue is just a figure head, not the coach.

This team had to be blown up. The Cavs at least give themselves a chance now. Let's see if they can somehow trade for Kemba Walker. That said, the road is all clear for LeBron and George to land in LA with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, and perhaps Randle.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
There was no way the Cavs were staying put. They'd even trade the Nets' pick if LeBron confirmed his intention to stay in Cleveland. Everything came to an end with that crazy team meeting where Kevin Love was blamed. Here are the leaks from the Athletic / ESPN:

* LeBron pretty much ripped every Cav executive. He can't stand Gilbert and does not get along with the new GM, Altman.

* LeBron wanted his previous GM, Griffin, to stay. Gilbert fired him.

* LeBron wanted Kyrie to stay. LeBron thought it could work out. However, Kyrie refused to ever set foot on the court again as LeBron's teammate. It was so bad that Kyrie threatened having knee surgery.

* Kevin Love is an outcast. He hangs with no one on the Cavs team. He's like Mirotic on the Bulls.

* LeBron did NOT want to play with Isaiah Thomas any further. There were times he refused to even move when Isaiah had the ball.

* DRose took time off to get married during the season. He's a joke.

* DWade, LeBron, and the overpaid Tristan Thompson are a faction in the locker room. Let's not forget the Kardashian or Gaby Union factor.

* Let's not forget JR Smith and his antics.

* Lue is just a figure head, not the coach.

This team had to be blown up. The Cavs at least give themselves a chance now. Let's see if they can somehow trade for Kemba Walker. That said, the road is all clear for LeBron and George to land in LA with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, and perhaps Randle.

great news..... you do not know how much i hate, despise LJ, rose and DW

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
great news..... you do not know how much i hate, despise LJ, rose and DW
Speaking of DRose, it sounds like the Wolves might sign him. Supposedly, Thibbs is interested in Noah if the Knicks buy him out. Maybe Thibbs might have interest in Asik if the Bulls bought him out. Thibbs is ridiculous.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Speaking of DRose, it sounds like the Wolves might sign him. Supposedly, Thibbs is interested in Noah if the Knicks buy him out. Maybe Thibbs might have interest in Asik if the Bulls bought him out. Thibbs is ridiculous.
i finally come back to being a fan of the nba and the bulls, and this trading deadline is soooo confusing.... ugh.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Only 2 first round picks were traded this year. Cleveland's one in the Thomas deal and the Pels first. Good job by the Bulls.

Holiday and Lopez still have great contracts for another year. They can be traded in the off season.

The Bulls biggest issues are:
* Losing enough to get a top 6-7 pick.
* Signing LaVine to a good deal.
* Getting rid of Felicio's contract.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Only 2 first round picks were traded this year. Cleveland's one in the Thomas deal and the Pels first. Good job by the Bulls.

Holiday and Lopez still have great contracts for another year. They can be traded in the off season.

The Bulls biggest issues are:
* Losing enough to get a top 6-7 pick.
* Signing LaVine to a good deal.
* Getting rid of Felicio's contract.
my #1 will be, for the person who is drafting for the bulls. don't screw this up.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That's a low risk punt. At least Vonleah has some skill ... unlike Felicio.
i am wondering with the trade with vonleah, and the other players they picked up. could vonleah end up as a SF and maybe develop there ??

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
i am wondering with the trade with vonleah, and the other players they picked up. could vonleah end up as a SF and maybe develop there ??
0% chance of that. The kid can't shoot. He's a rebounder and perhaps a defender. If lucky, Vonleh develops and becomes 8th/9th man in the rotation.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
read this morning that the bulls had a couple of teams approach them on a possible salary dump, apparently the price was good enuf.

good for the Bulls to stand straight on that !!!

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Lol @ Wolves what an embarrassing loss for them. Nice game from Lavine.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I like Lavine alot and he's exciting to watch, but he should not be getting that many shots off and Markkanen only 7. Bulls need to incorporate Lauri more in this offense not just him. He should arguably be the #1 option, at worst #2. I'll reserve complete judgement until I see Dunn out there with both of them, but when I see bench players getting more shots off... not good.

Terrible win btw. At least Lavine won't play tomorrow since it's a back to back (likely loss) but now they need the other tank teams to start winning. (Pelicans pick though officially in the lottery as of now :) keep losing NO!)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I like Lavine alot and he's exciting to watch, but he should not be getting that many shots off and Markkanen only 7. Bulls need to incorporate Lauri more in this offense not just him. He should arguably be the #1 option, at worst #2. I'll reserve complete judgement until I see Dunn out there with both of them, but when I see bench players getting more shots off... not good.

Terrible win btw. At least Lavine won't play tomorrow since it's a back to back (likely loss) but now they need the other tank teams to start winning. (Pelicans pick though officially in the lottery as of now :) keep losing NO!)
The entire Bulls organization wanted to win last night. They will be tanking going forward. There's a reason Dunn's been slow to get back in the court. I doubt he plays Monday.

Lavine shot a ton last night because it was a statement game. Everyone deferred to Zach. He even played 33 minutes. The Bulls are usually so strict about the 32 minute limit. With Dunn on the floor, he'll have the ball in his hands. He'll distribute. Unfortunately, Jerian Grant is a turnover machine under pressure. That's why Zach played PG in crunch time. No one else got a shot. That won't happen with Dunn. Lauri will get his shots. The pick and roll with Zach should be deadly.

The most important aspect of last night's game was crunch time. In the playoffs, teams win when your stars hit contested shots. Zach proved he can take a game over late. He also proved he can play decent defense when it matters. Lauri's proved he can hit big time shots and defend. Dunn loves crunch time on both ends of the floor. That's what is so promising about these 3. They do their best work when the stakes are highest.

However, I think it's obvious the Bulls miss an athletic long wing. One who can defend and shoot.

The Pels are in trouble. Mirotic is having problems going against starters. If he's not hitting 3s, he has issues. That's why numbers don't always tell the entire story. Let's hope the Pels end up #6 in the draft.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Jaren Jackson will be playing Purdue today. If Izzo is smart, he'll oppose Haas in the post and play him as long as he can instead of Ward. For the Jackson fans, this will be his moment. If Jackson dominates, his draft stock will soar. If he has a bad game, the questions will linger.

For the people who watched Bulls / Minnesota last night ... you saw the new NBA. Wings dominate more than the traditional big. Even Towns was shooting and defending on the perimeter. They get up and down on the floor. That is why people wonder about Ayton and Bamba. Their talents are obvious. However, they need to prove they can also play in space. Otherwise they just become rim protectors and dunkers. Effective but can be marginalized late in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad