Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVI: Bulls Draft Lottery Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yup. Bama syndrome will happen again if Wisconsin, Oklahoma, or Clemson lose.
Sounds like everyone is in agreement that the SEC and ACC winner will get a place in the playoffs. Miami's SOS will be stronger than Bama if they beat Clemson (possibly #1 this week) WITH an ACC Championship. It's going to come down to the Big 12 and B1G championship for Bama.

I think Bama's resume is comparable to OSU or TCU even without a conference championship.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'll be happy if Bama is out, but I'm just fully expecting them to be given a way in.
I'm hoping Bama is out too. It will make for a wide open playoffs. IF Bucky wins impressively next week, I think they will be ranked #1 after being undefeated. If they lose, they are out even with 1 loss. That's rough.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Jul 4, 2017
I like Porter, but I'm hesitant about investing into a 6'10" player with back problems. He's going to have to prove he is healthy. I think it's Bagley or Doncic for the top pick. All things equal, teams will take the long athletic skilled 6'11" wing number 1. Not saying Doncic can't be, but it's how the NBA has historically drafted.

Bamba and Ayton haven't been as impressive. They have plenty of potential, but their basketball IQ is somewhat lacking ... especially Bamba. Colin Sexton and Trae Young are interesting, but when you are 6'3" and 6'2" respectively, it will be held against you.
Yeah chronic back problems could be a concern but I also believe MPJ may have the highest upside of all prospects. Have to see how he plays when/if he gets back this season.

He's never had any major injuries before so it's not an Embiid or Oden situation. The initial recovery time for MPJs injury is about 2-3 weeks but since he's an athlete it may take 5-6, I'm not sure what this 3-4 month recovery time is.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yeah chronic back problems could be a concern but I also believe MPJ may have the highest upside of all prospects. Have to see how he plays when/if he gets back this season.

He's never had any major injuries before so it's not an Embiid or Oden situation. The initial recovery time for MPJs injury is about 2-3 weeks but since he's an athlete it may take 5-6, I'm not sure what this 3-4 month recovery time is.
I agree. MPJ probably has the highest upside, but it is still a risk for a Bulls franchise that desperately needs a guarantee. Marvin Bagley probably gives it to them from a risk / reward perspective. The Bulls have less room for risk.

Ultimately, I think the Bulls will have a top 3 pick regardless. They will either get Doncic, Porter, or Bagley. That's not too bad. I suspect Bamba, Ayton, Williams, Young, Sexton, and Bridges will be picked sometime right after.

Reactions: Rooh

Rooh

Jul 4, 2017
Watching Duke - Florida and Bagley is just dominant. He reminds me of Ben Simmons without the passing but better rebounding and athleticism.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Watching Duke - Florida and Bagley is just dominant. He reminds me of Ben Simmons without the passing but better rebounding and athleticism.
If you are a NBA fan, go watch old school videos of Amare Stoudemire before he got injured (when the Suns were good and Nash was winning his MVPs). Stoudemire didn't have any shooting range, but he was so quick off the floor ... he just rebounded and scored / dunked all the time. Bagley plays more defense and has a higher basketball IQ than Stoudemire ... but a similar game right now. Hopefully, his shooting gets better.

Rooh

Jul 4, 2017
If you are a NBA fan, go watch old school videos of Amare Stoudemire before he got injured (when the Suns were good and Nash was winning his MVPs). Stoudemire didn't have any shooting range, but he was so quick off the floor ... he just rebounded and scored / dunked all the time. Bagley plays more defense and has a higher basketball IQ than Stoudemire ... but a similar game right now. Hopefully, his shooting gets better.
Stoudemire definitely comes to mind, also plays like a mix of Barkley/Rodman with that rebounding and motor. He is one of the best rebounding prospects I've seen.

His FT/shot keeps getting better with each game 8-9 from the line tonight.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Stoudemire definitely comes to mind, also plays like a mix of Barkley/Rodman with that rebounding and motor. He is one of the best rebounding prospects I've seen.

His FT/shot keeps getting better with each game 8-9 from the line tonight.
Yep ... this is why Bagley is a perfect fit with Markannen. Markannen can space the floor for Bagley. They could be a great front court duo.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I like Bagley, but I just don’t see the fiery competitor yet. He seems very mellow. He is only 18 and in his first college season though.

He’s immensely talented and seems to be a smart player on the floor, but something about him even while watching him dominate irks me. It’s so easy for him right now. He’s so much bigger and faster than everyone else.

Rooh

Jul 4, 2017
I like Bagley, but I just don’t see the fiery competitor yet. He seems very mellow. He is only 18 and in his first college season though.

He’s immensely talented and seems to be a smart player on the floor, but something about him even while watching him dominate irks me. It’s so easy for him right now. He’s so much bigger and faster than everyone else.
He's dominating games mostly with his athleticism and motor right now which is wild, he still needs to continue adding skill but it's quite similar to Westbrook, Durant, Giannis, Rose..etc, he is just so athletically gifted there's not much the other team can do. Now you hope he can continue improving on skills like shooting, ball handling and passing.

He's still very much a raw player and it's crazy he's avg about 27/13 not including the game where he hurt his eye early on.

He really is a confusing player, don't think I've seen a player that's quite like him he dominates in a strange way. His physical attributes and coordination are just allowing him to finish near the rim at an elite level right now and move more fluid than any big I've ever seen. He just keeps going and going he played damn near the whole game, 39 mins and played all 20 mins in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
next year is deep with Wings. This year you could be looking at a guy that can try to stop Embid... Ayton seems like a fit next to Markkanen, Doncic is the #1 guy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
next year is deep with Wings. This year you could be looking at a guy that can try to stop Embid... Ayton seems like a fit next to Markkanen, Doncic is the #1 guy.
Ayton looks the part physically, but he hasn't looked as dominant as Bagley. Arizona looks awful. Bagley is the most dominant college player. At 6'11" and a huge wingspan, Bagley can play point center ... which would be a scary match up scenario.

I wasn't impressed by Bagley at first, but when you keep watching ... he is an athletic freak with high basketball IQ. If he figures out how to shoot (which is possible), Bagley will be unstoppable. He's also a great passer and rebounds like Rodman.

Embiid will be impossible to stop. However, if Bagley develops a jumper, how will Embiid stop him? He's that scary. Two different skill sets.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
To respond to earlier posts... Alabama likely gets in if Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses. I have a tough time seeing Ohio State getting in over them. And rightfully so. Losing by 31 to Iowa is not simply that just simply be forgiven - and I think that will be the committee’s talking point if that ends up being the scenario.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
This may sound crazy, but CFB committee has always valued wins more than losses. Ohio State has a bad loss. BAD. But Alabama has legit played nobody and their best win lost to Troy. They played one meaningful game and looked terrible and lost. The score didn’t do that game justice, they had no offense. I dislike Urban Meyer, but I think Ohio State, even with two losses, has a better case.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
To respond to earlier posts... Alabama likely gets in if Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses. I have a tough time seeing Ohio State getting in over them. And rightfully so. Losing by 31 to Iowa is not simply that just simply be forgiven - and I think that will be the committee’s talking point if that ends up being the scenario.
This may sound crazy, but CFB committee has always valued wins more than losses. Ohio State has a bad loss. BAD. But Alabama has legit played nobody and their best win lost to Troy. They played one meaningful game and looked terrible and lost. The score didn’t do that game justice, they had no offense. I dislike Urban Meyer, but I think Ohio State, even with two losses, has a better case.
I like to see both Saban and Meyer get shut out. So for one day, I'll be a cheesehead ... then take a long shower. I'd like to see Miami, Georgia, Bucky, and Okie in the Final Four. That would make for a wide open / fun playoff.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I think a UGA/Oklahoma matchup is the one I’d like to see the most out of any potential games.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I like to see both Saban and Meyer get shut out. So for one day, I'll be a cheesehead ... then take a long shower. I'd like to see Miami, Georgia, Bucky, and Okie in the Final Four. That would make for a wide open / fun playoff.

Man, that’d be something. Wisconsin and Oklahoma winning wouldn’t surprise me, but Miami and Georgia definitely would. It’s college football, though, so who knows what’ll happen.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Reports out now that aTm is having an emergency regents meeting. I'm sure it's to discuss Jimbo Fisher's buyout at F$U. Sounds like the Fisher to aTm is a real possibility. That would leave the F$U program open. Does Frost take the Neb or FSU job? Does Mike Leach look at Nebraska (former WSU AD is now in Lincoln), FSU, or Tennessee? We know Malzahn wants to go back home to Arkansas. Does he leave Auburn on the brink of a championship run? Where does Lane Kiffin figure in all this? This is going to be fun.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Man, that’d be something. Wisconsin and Oklahoma winning wouldn’t surprise me, but Miami and Georgia definitely would. It’s college football, though, so who knows what’ll happen.
Could you imagine Richt's Miami against Georgia? Georgia fired Mark Richt two years ago.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I hope Tennessee falls on their face after what happened yesterday. Even if they have a good hire, I hope he flops.
You can blame it all on the Haslams. Yes ... the same Haslams who owns the Browns. Now they want to destroy TWO football programs. My 100% guess: they ask Peyton Manning to fix the PR mess. They go after David Cutcliffe of Dook (ex Tenn OC and friends with the Manning family). If Cut declines, Manning might tab his ex teammate, Tee Martin (OC at USC). Of course, there's always Lane Kiffin.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You guys been seeing this cubs trade rumor stuff? O’s calling about Baez/ Almora I guess. It’s all rumors at this point but I’m bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad