Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LV: NLCS Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't know why you're being so argumentative. But sure, yeah I would consider 7 hits in 2 games as borderline shocking, even against top notch pitchers.

I think the best answer in sample size. Obviously, pitching gets better, which is automatically going to make the averages lower. But Rizzo especially is just a very streaky hitter, and he's already been through a couple ups and downs. He started off his playoff career very poorly, got hot, and now appears to be cooling off again. But, when every game is scrutinized and you're paying attention to every at-bat so much, it just seems out of the norm, but it's really just the ebbs and flows of these guys, which also happens in the summer months, but they have more time to recover.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
For that being a close NLCS game, I found that game to be all sorts of boring given the circumstances. Part of that might be that I just didn't think they had a chance to win with that bullpen unless Lester went at least 7.... and it didn't take long that wasn't happening. Just seemed like the only way they could have won is if they put up at least 5-6 runs, and the bats looked terrible.

Here is to hoping to turning it around in Wrigley, though.

Honestly, I thought the same. But I was starting to think they had a chance if they took it to extras, because Jansen was done at that point. It may not have changed much, but I liked their chances better at that point than I did a few innings earlier.

Reactions: RayP

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Because you made a wrong statement that they've been bad every playoffs which isn't true. No one has said they are playing good in these playoffs. They clearly have been bad which is why the Cubs offense has been bad.

So basically you agree with me, but are crabby and decided to argue for no reason, eh? Ok man. I hope your day gets better.

Reactions: TorMenT and RayP

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think the best answer in sample size. Obviously, pitching gets better, which is automatically going to make the averages lower. But Rizzo especially is just a very streaky hitter, and he's already been through a couple ups and downs. He started off his playoff career very poorly, got hot, and now appears to be cooling off again. But, when every game is scrutinized and you're paying attention to every at-bat so much, it just seems out of the norm, but it's really just the ebbs and flows of these guys, which also happens in the summer months, but they have more time to recover.

That's definitely a good point. Of course, they have had 7 playoff series across the last 3 years. It's a larger sample size than most MLB players have at this point, but yeah, still small.

Also what BK said earlier makes sense. These guys are young. It's weird thinking Kris Bryant is still only 25 after all he's accomplished.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
What is with the Cubs big bats where the tend to disappear in the playoffs? I know it's more about pitching in the playoffs, but this has become a regular occurrence over the last 3 years. Kudos to them for managing to win a World Series through all these hitting droughts.

Playoff pitching is a lot better than regular season pitching. Look at how a ton of really good hitters are doing this postseason...

Harper - Regular season wRC+ of 156, post-season of 73
Murphy - Regular season wRC+ of 136, post-season of 94
Rendon - Regular season wRC+ of 142, post-season of 98
Goldschmidt - Regular season wRC+ of 142, post-season of 93
Martinez - Regular season wRC+ of 166, post-season of 81
Judge - Regular season wRC+ of 173, post-season of 47
Ramirez - Regular season wRC+ of 148, post-season of -25
Lindor - Regular season wRC+ of 118, post-season of 22
Sanchez - Regular season wRC+ of 130, post-season of 45

Are there some exceptions? Definitely. But it's much harder to hit well in the post-season.

Reactions: Illinihockey

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
That's definitely a good point. Of course, they have had 7 playoff series across the last 3 years. It's a larger sample size than most MLB players have at this point, but yeah, still small.

Also what BK said earlier makes sense. These guys are young. It's weird thinking Kris Bryant is still only 25 after all he's accomplished.

For sure. And, to a certain extent, I think it's a mental thing as this point as well. But, that can change very quickly.

To be honest here, I know losing this series is going to be tough (sorry, just don't see things changing enough to turn this around), but I am pretty damn happy with how this year has gone. Hell, at one point, I seriously questioned if they were even going to make the playoffs. But, they battled through some very questionable pitching and a strong performances from the Cards and Brewers, and then took down a Nats squad that I would have viewed as the favorite. The problem is that they can get away with their pitching issues in the regular season, but it was bound to catch up to them at some point.

3 straight years in the NLCS, and a good run this year, even if it doesn't end the way we all hoped. Can't be too upset. Just have to hope they can keep Davis, CJ continues to progress, Justin Wilson figures his crap out, and they find some other pitching remedies. And hopefully a disappointing end to the season makes they "hungry" again, if you believe in that kind of stuff.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Cubs were shut out by Kershaw and Hill in back to back games last year and still won the series. Yes things look bleak right now but they looked bleak last year too and they came back from it. You just can't count this team and these guys out, I think they will figure it out and win at least a couple games.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
For sure. And, to a certain extent, I think it's a mental thing as this point as well. But, that can change very quickly.

To be honest here, I know losing this series is going to be tough (sorry, just don't see things changing enough to turn this around), but I am pretty damn happy with how this year has gone. Hell, at one point, I seriously questioned if they were even going to make the playoffs. But, they battled through some very questionable pitching and a strong performances from the Cards and Brewers, and then took down a Nats squad that I would have viewed as the favorite. The problem is that they can get away with their pitching issues in the regular season, but it was bound to catch up to them at some point.

3 straight years in the NLCS, and a good run this year, even if it doesn't end the way we all hoped. Can't be too upset. Just have to hope they can keep Davis, CJ continues to progress, Justin Wilson figures his crap out, and they find some other pitching remedies. And hopefully a disappointing end to the season makes they "hungry" again, if you believe in that kind of stuff.

No matter what, you guys have had it good the last 3 years. And that will surely continue in to the future.

But don't give up yet. Yeah it doesn't look good. But remember, they were down 2-1 last year to LA and had come off two dismal offensive performances (similar to games 1 and 2 this year if I remember right). They found a way last year. It's still possible. Need a big win tomorrow.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Cubs were shut out by Kershaw and Hill in back to back games last year and still won the series. Yes things look bleak right now but they looked bleak last year too and they came back from it. You just can't count this team and these guys out, I think they will figure it out and win at least a couple games.

I think they will take a game in Chicago, but it's hard to have any faith in them to come back in the series at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if their bats came alive again, but I have absolutely zero faith in their bullpen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad