Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LV: NLCS Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Everyone loves Maddon's chill bro vibe but they overlook that his management of the pen in the post season has been criminal

And is there a reason Kris Bryant hasn't played this post season?

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Cubs need to fire the hitting coach and bring someone in that can work on pitch recognition and get each hitter to develop a swing simply to spoil bad pitches. As is we have Rizzo, Zobrist (declining skills), and to some degree Bryant, but the rest of the hitters swing at pitches that are unhittable like they are trying to put them into play. The team is even terrible when ahead in the count, swinging at picther's strikes that will only result in an out.
100% on Maddon

Davis is your best high leverage pitcher and you bring in Lackey who hasn't been very good all year and doesn't normally come out of the pen.

From his bullpen usage, to his lineups, to his refusal to flat out send Rizzo, Maddon is f***ing up big time. I'm still perplexed at hwo he can leave La Stella and Happ to rot on the bench when he's more than willing to play Schwarber, a guy who shouldn't have started ONCE these entire playoffs, a lot of time.

We need La Stella's bat in the lineup. He's one of the few guys that will make a pitcher work. And for the love of christ can our pitchers quit nibbling at the corners (until Turner comes up)? Turner is about the only guy who's hit in non-hitter friendly counts. Challenge these guys early and make them swing the bat.

This is going to be a sweep (not an overraction...I thought there was a good chance coming in with the pen and Maddon managing like a buffoon).

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I had Dodgers and Red Sox in the World Series earlier this year in a bet so at least one team is looking good for me as of now. :laugh:

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Dolt Maddon must have mistaken Lackey for Chapman. Why didn't Lackey tell him: "No habla español! f*** off!"

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Cubs need to fire the hitting coach and bring someone in that can work on pitch recognition and get each hitter to develop a swing simply to spoil bad pitches. As is we have Rizzo, Zobrist (declining skills), and to some degree Bryant, but the rest of the hitters swing at pitches that are unhittable like they are trying to put them into play. The team is even terrible when ahead in the count, swinging at picther's strikes that will only result in an out.

Davis is your best high leverage pitcher and you bring in Lackey who hasn't been very good all year and doesn't normally come out of the pen.

From his bullpen usage, to his lineups, to his refusal to flat out send Rizzo, Maddon is ****ing up big time. I'm still perplexed at hwo he can leave La Stella and Happ to rot on the bench when he's more than willing to play Schwarber, a guy who shouldn't have started ONCE these entire playoffs, a lot of time.

We need La Stella's bat in the lineup. He's one of the few guys that will make a pitcher work. And for the love of christ can our pitchers quit nibbling at the corners (until Turner comes up)? Turner is about the only guy who's hit in non-hitter friendly counts. Challenge these guys early and make them swing the bat.

This is going to be a sweep (not an overraction...I thought there was a good chance coming in with the pen and Maddon managing like a buffoon).

A hitting coach is about the most useless position on a major-league staff.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

zac

Apr 29, 2009
A hitting coach is about the most useless position on a major-league staff.

Glad you aren't making decisions for this team (although I'd rather have anyone than Maddon as a manager right about now).

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Glad you aren't making decisions for this team (although I'd rather have anyone than Maddon as a manager right about now).

That's a dumb, meaningless quip. The big leagues isn't where they learn pitch recognition and plate discipline. If you think a hitting coach is an important, difference making position at the MLB level then that's f***ing funny.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
“Javy, you’re not supposed to swing at pitches over your head.”

“Got it coach.”

*swings at pitch in the dirt

Ridiculous.

It's not about telling, rather it's talking and TRAINING guys what to swing at. Preferably I don't think they should actually be swinging when practicing for this, rather the initiation of the swing. With our guys it starts with recognition. There are 3 kinds of pitches: hittable strikes, clear balls, and pitches you don't swing at while ahead but likely foul off on a 2 strike count. This team can't layoff #2 and seem to have no semblance of how to approach #3. When a pitcher throws a pitcher's strike on a hitters count you let it go as it is going to result in a miss or an out an inordinate number of times. On a two strike count you likely won't get a hit, but you should have a swing that allows you to make weak contact to spoil it off. Our hitters need someone that can get into their heads and come up with a training regimen to improve that. Moreover Mallee proved he was a complete imbecile in the "overhaul" of Heywards swing that did NOTHING to address the mechanical flaws in the first place. He still initiates with his hands starting back, has too long of a swing, and extends his arms prematurarely, leading to a lot fo weak contact.

Mallee is a buffoon.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i saw that late last nite. too bad and i wish the best for his family.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
What is with the Cubs big bats where the tend to disappear in the playoffs? I know it's more about pitching in the playoffs, but this has become a regular occurrence over the last 3 years. Kudos to them for managing to win a World Series through all these hitting droughts.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
What is with the Cubs big bats where the tend to disappear in the playoffs? I know it's more about pitching in the playoffs, but this has become a regular occurrence over the last 3 years. Kudos to them for managing to win a World Series through all these hitting droughts.

Bryant had a .923 OPS last year in the playoffs, Rizzo .866.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Bryant had a .923 OPS last year in the playoffs, Rizzo .866.

I wasn't trying to start a debate. Anyone with working eyeballs can tell these guys don't hit in the playoffs quite like they do in the summer. But yeah, they've had a few good runs here and there. The two guys you brought up:

Rizzo career regular season OPS .854. Career postseason OPS .739
Bryant career regular season OPS .915 Career postseason OPS .760

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I wasn't trying to start a debate. Anyone with working eyeballs can tell these guys don't hit in the playoffs quite like they do in the summer. But yeah, they've had a few good runs here and there. The two guys you brought up:

Rizzo career regular season OPS .854. Career postseason OPS .739
Bryant career regular season OPS .915 Career postseason OPS .760

Shocking that guys hit worse when facing the best pitching on the best teams in baseball. Also, sample size.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bryant's feet are moving all over the place and you can tell he is getting frustrated. I think we forget that this team is still really young.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I don't know why you're being so argumentative. But sure, yeah I would consider 7 hits in 2 games as borderline shocking, even against top notch pitchers.

Because you made a wrong statement that they've been bad every playoffs which isn't true. No one has said they are playing good in these playoffs. They clearly have been bad which is why the Cubs offense has been bad.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
For that being a close NLCS game, I found that game to be all sorts of boring given the circumstances. Part of that might be that I just didn't think they had a chance to win with that bullpen unless Lester went at least 7.... and it didn't take long that wasn't happening. Just seemed like the only way they could have won is if they put up at least 5-6 runs, and the bats looked terrible.

Here is to hoping to turning it around in Wrigley, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad