Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIV: Cubs clinch the NL Central!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think the NL is a lot more wide open than the pundits think. It seems like they are heavily favoring one of the Dodgers or the Nationals, well more the Nationals from what I've seen.

Then again, the playoffs are random by nature. So, like, that pretty much means nothing, haha.

I feel like at least nationally people are just blowing off that Scherzer might not pitch in this series like its not a big deal.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
as much as i hate dislike the sCrubs, i can cheer for Q to have success. even if it mean that they will win another WS ring. Q was a quiet soldier .... even after he was traded, not a single harsh word against the sox org.

Typical:rolleyes:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think the NL is a lot more wide open than the pundits think. It seems like they are heavily favoring one of the Dodgers or the Nationals, well more the Nationals from what I've seen.

Then again, the playoffs are random by nature. So, like, that pretty much means nothing, haha.

I think the Cubs/Nats series is a tossup, and I will favor the winner in the NLCS.

That said, I think the Tribe are heavy favorites right now to win it all. They look like the best team in the last 5-10 years. But baseball is weird. The best team doesn't always win. It will be fun seeing how it all plays out.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
On paper I think the Dodgers and Nats are better than the Cubs but I just can't trust them. I say Cubs beat Nats, Dbacks beat the Dodgers and Cubs lose to the Tribe in the rematch.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I feel like at least nationally people are just blowing off that Scherzer might not pitch in this series like its not a big deal.

Agreed. He's critical to their success and his confidence and coolness under pressure stands out on a team full of hot heads and emotional basket cases. I mean, they still have Murphy though, but the soft underbelly of that team is their temperament and that starts with Dusty Baker.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Tribe beat Yankees
Astros beat Red Sox
Astros beat Tribe

Cubs beat Nats
Dodgers beat D Backs (this is a close series)
Cubs beat Dodgers

Cubs beat Astros in 6.

:thumbu:

Reactions: ColdSteel2

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I think the Cubs/Nats series is a tossup, and I will favor the winner in the NLCS.

That said, I think the Tribe are heavy favorites right now to win it all. They look like the best team in the last 5-10 years. But baseball is weird. The best team doesn't always win. It will be fun seeing how it all plays out.
FWIW 538's ELO rankings put the top teams in the last decade in the following order...

2009 Yankees (33 all time) - 103 wins, WS title
2007 Red Sox (66 all time) - 96 wins, WS title
2016 Cubs (70 all time) - 103 wins, WS title

Right now the Indians ended up with 102 wins. I think they are definitely up there with some of the best teams we have seen in recent history. For my money right now I think it is probably last year's Cubs team, the wire to wire dominance was just so impressive. Even if the Indians win it this year it would be tough to unseat them in my mind, but it also depends on how they do it. If they march through the playoffs they definitely have to be considered.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
as much as i hate dislike the sCrubs, i can cheer for Q to have success. even if it mean that they will win another WS ring. Q was a quiet soldier .... even after he was traded, not a single harsh word against the sox org.

Come on now, if you are going to "try" and insult the Cubs could you at least put some thought into it and come up with something better than "sCrubs?" That insult no longer applies. Step up your troll job, my friend.

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Come on now, if you are going to "try" and insult the Cubs could you at least put some thought into it and come up with something better than "sCrubs?" That insult no longer applies. Step up your troll job, my friend.

Calls the Cubs "scrubs" when the team he rooted for finished almost 30 games under .500. :laugh:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
On paper I think the Dodgers and Nats are better than the Cubs but I just can't trust them. I say Cubs beat Nats, Dbacks beat the Dodgers and Cubs lose to the Tribe in the rematch.

I'm not so sure the Dodgers/Nationals are better "on paper" than the Cubs. Sure their records would say otherwise but I don't know despite their seasons, neither team feels like a lock to win their first round match, especially the Nationals who has Dusty Baker as manager. I think there is a legitimate chance that both Nationals and Dodgers are knocked out of the playoffs early.

I think Cleveland wins it this year but it would not surprise me if Houston shocks them in the ALCS.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I would get an irrational amount of joy in seeing the Cubs close out the series vs Dusty in Wrigley.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Are the Dodgers actually favored? I was under the impression that given the second half of the season, the Diamondbacks had improved to at least a push versus the Dodgers, if not favored.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Are the Dodgers actually favored? I was under the impression that given the second half of the season, the Diamondbacks had improved to at least a push versus the Dodgers, if not favored.

I just assumed so due to home field advantage + the fact Greinke and Ray had to pitch in the WC game.

According to the google, the Dodgers opened the series as favorites at -123. Not sure where it's at currently, though.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just assumed so due to home field advantage + the fact Greinke and Ray had to pitch in the WC game.

According to the google, the Dodgers opened the series as favorites at -123. Not sure where it's at currently, though.
Where do you see -123? I see dodgers anywhere from -275 to -300 on sites.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Where do you see -123? I see dodgers anywhere from -275 to -300 on sites.

Was a Bleacher Report article that came out after Arizona beat Colorado. I was also referring to the series odds.... is that what you see as the series odds or just tonight’s game?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So was anyone else not surprised that Sale struggled yesterday? He's an awesome pitcher, but I always thought he might struggle in the postseason given his make up. The few "big" games the Sox had over the years he seemed to get hit up.

It's one game, but I could see him being an amazing pitcher who struggles in the postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad