Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIV: Cubs clinch the NL Central!

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sliding into first is rarely a good idea. That was a circumstance where it wasn't a good idea.

Not that it matters with a three run bomb coming shortly there after!

And back to back jacks!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
At this point, I don't know what to even call Baez.

He's a great 2B ... can be a good glove calibre SS if he stops with the carelessness.

At the plate, he's infuriating. Great and awful at the same time.

Considering he'll probably end up with 25+ HRs, 75 RBIs, .270 BA, .310 OBP, we shouldn't be complaining.

However, if Javy can just be a little more disciplined at the plate, he can be a perennial All Star at either SS or 2B.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
At this point, I don't know what to even call Baez.

He's a great 2B ... can be a good glove calibre SS if he stops with the carelessness.

At the plate, he's infuriating. Great and awful at the same time.

Considering he'll probably end up with 25+ HRs, 75 RBIs, .270 BA, .310 OBP, we shouldn't be complaining.

However, if Javy can just be a little more disciplined at the plate, he can be a perennial All Star at either SS or 2B.

I fully believe that Javy would be a very good defensive SS with a consistent role there. His wRC+ for this season is currently at 100 and his OPS is .810. (his stats for the 2nd half have been even more impressive).

I'm a big fan of Baez but I'm not sure he will ever be the all star type. Best case I think is if he lays off some of the truly terrible pitches he swings at and solidifies his defense at SS, he could be a 3-4 win player every year which is hugely valuable.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Eloy and Collins heading up to AA to play out the last few weeks of the year.

Collins has been HOT in August.

and i like to add this...... article.
White Sox prospect Jimenez rises to Double-A
Slugging catcher Collins also promoted to Birmingham
By Daniel Kramer / MLB.com | 12:21 PM ET

Two more top White Sox prospects are advancing through the club's farm system, as outfielder Eloy Jimenez and catcher Zack Collins were promoted to Double-A Birmingham on Tuesday.

Jimenez, acquired in the Jose Quintana trade with the Cubs, is the club's No. 2 prospect and No. 7 overall in the Majors. Collins is Chicago's No. 10 prospect,

Jimenez, 20, raked for Class A Advanced Winstom Salem. In 29 games, he hit eight homers and drove in 26 over 110 at-bats, while hitting .345 with a .682 slugging percentage. On Monday, he was named the Carolina League Player of the Week for his performance from Aug. 7-13, and was named the White Sox Minor League Co-Player of the Month for July.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound, right-handed-hitting Jimenez first took center stage with an impressive showing in the 2016 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, then later that year was named the Midwest League MVP, posting a league-best .532 slugging while belting 14 homers with 81 RBIs.

Scouts have marveled at Jimenez's impressive bat speed his ability to spray the ball to all fields. While with the Cubs, he drew comparisons to Jorge Soler.

Collins, 22, has been on a strong streak since participating in the 2017 Futures Game last month, working his average up to .223 to go with 17 homers and 48 RBIs. The White Sox first-round Draft pick in '16, Collins has largely been behind the plate for his Minor League career, but his bat also profiles at first base.

Daniel Kramer is a reporter for MLB.com based in Denver. Follow him on Twitter at @DKramer_. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/24857...rospect-eloy-jimenez-to-aa/?topicid=151437456

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Eloy homers in his first AA at-bat for Birmingham. Then he doubles in his 2nd at-bat. I called for this trade a couple months before it happened, but it's still hard to believe any team would let him go.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Eloy homers in his first AA at-bat for Birmingham. Then he doubles in his 2nd at-bat. I called for this trade a couple months before it happened, but it's still hard to believe any team would let him go.

excellent on both counts, yours and the nite that eloy is having.

i was not sold on eloy, but i am being a convert.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Oops, it was actually 6-1. Bleh, that's just terrible. Can't do that against teams like the Reds. They better hope they still pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad