Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIV: Cubs clinch the NL Central!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Sox only needed 3 more losses for that #1 pick. The game that sticks in my head the most was the game Carson Fulmer came out after 1 out in the 1st with the blister. The bullpen had to go 8 2/3 innings and they won a low scoring game against of the of the best offenses in baseball that day in the Astros.
and it was those kind of games that i cherish the most, esp when i was young. great baseball time at the park.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
What an awesome week for sports. Bhawks opener Thursday vs. Stanley cup champs followed by Cubs vs Nationals Friday. Then on Saturday Panarin vs. Bhawks and Cubs vs Nationals game #2, woot woot!!!

Reactions: Illinihockey

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
One of those killed in the Vegas shooting was Christina Duarte, sister of white sox prospect Mikey Duarte. His girlfriend was shot in the face and she's currently in critical condition. Prayers go out to him and all the families who are effected by this awful shooting.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
What an awesome week for sports. Bhawks opener Thursday vs. Stanley cup champs followed by Cubs vs Nationals Friday. Then on Saturday Panarin vs. Bhawks and Cubs vs Nationals game #2, woot woot!!!
You forgot about the game of the week - IU vs Charleston Southern :sarcasm:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
These hoodies that say “WE’RE GONNA WIN!” are so cringe worthy.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Any word on Cubs game 1 starter?

Most likely will by Kyle in G1, Lester in G2, Arrieta in G3 and Q in G4, with Mad Max looking like he won't start till G3. Arrieta .v. Max in G3 with both pitchers coming off hammy injuries, could make for an interesting game, to say the least.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Man I usually love the wild card games but the one last night I could just not get into, man was it slow.

Reactions: RayP

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Damn, would've loved to see the Yankees lose and then New Yorkers moan on an on about how "unfair" a one-game playoff is after a 162-game season merely because they lost.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Damn, would've loved to see the Yankees lose and then New Yorkers moan on an on about how "unfair" a one-game playoff is after a 162-game season merely because they lost.

It's truly the dumbest thing in sports playoffs, IMO, though. Especially after a 162 game season. They should do a 3 game series, first to two wins. Give both teams a home game, and the better record of the two gets a 2nd one.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The problem is that baseball, more so than any other sport, relies on consistency and keeping up routines. Having a three game series before the start of the rest of the playoffs would arguably ice the other teams, which is something that I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible. Heck, I think that the delay already is too long for most teams. Couple that with the MLB's postseason schedule already bleeding into November (something that I think should be avoided at all costs), that's just asking for trouble in cold weather cities that don't have domes.

The only way I would conceivably consider having a three game series would be if they did something along the lines of having the first two games be a doubleheader, then playing a third game (if needed) immediately the day after that, and then playing their NLDS/ALDS opponent the very next day after that. That'd be awfully brutal for a wild card team, though. I'd be more okay with that, though. And heck, for ease of scheduling and travel, have the first wild card host all three games.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's truly the dumbest thing in sports playoffs, IMO, though. Especially after a 162 game season. They should do a 3 game series, first to two wins. Give both teams a home game, and the better record of the two gets a 2nd one.

I think they should do a 3 gamer but start it with a double header the first day.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The one game playoff is a gimmick, but it's a pretty good one. I don't mind it. I like that it puts a significant incentive on winning the division.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm fine with the system as it is. The last thing they need to do is further expand the playoffs and season. If a team doesn't want their 162 game season to come down to 1 game, then they should win their division.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't get the need to make the playoffs as fair as possible, if we cared about fairness we would just have every team play every team the same number of times and crown the champ after 162 games. If we want things to be totally fair then why not make the wildcard games 7 game series or the DS 7 game series?

I want the playoffs to be as fun and exciting as possible and generally these wildcard games are very fun and exciting. If you don't want to play in them win your division. If you do play in them then you still have a game to prove you deserve a full series.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The problem is that baseball, more so than any other sport, relies on consistency and keeping up routines. Having a three game series before the start of the rest of the playoffs would arguably ice the other teams, which is something that I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible. Heck, I think that the delay already is too long for most teams. Couple that with the MLB's postseason schedule already bleeding into November (something that I think should be avoided at all costs), that's just asking for trouble in cold weather cities that don't have domes.

The only way I would conceivably consider having a three game series would be if they did something along the lines of having the first two games be a doubleheader, then playing a third game (if needed) immediately the day after that, and then playing their NLDS/ALDS opponent the very next day after that. That'd be awfully brutal for a wild card team, though. I'd be more okay with that, though. And heck, for ease of scheduling and travel, have the first wild card host all three games.

I think they should do a 3 gamer but start it with a double header the first day.

I like the idea of a 3 gamer with a double-header on day 1. Then do a third game the next day, if necessary. That would be cool.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
To be honest, I think that MLB should try to shorten the season. Considering that too many teams sellout or come close to selling out all 81 home games, they're not backing down from the 162-game schedule, so that's a non-starter.

Instead, I would prefer that they actually scheduled doubleheaders. If averaged so much as a single doubleheader every two weeks, you could decrease the schedule by about two weeks. If that's too much, average a doubleheader every month, and bam. Still a week taken off the schedule. That'd eliminate the possibility of the World Series ending in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad