Other AZ Sports Thread 7: Sun Devils, Suns, Lumberjacks, Cardinals, Dbacks, Rattlers, Wildcats, etc.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well. The D'Backs were really exposed by the Rangers over that World Series. We're definitely a team that needs some more maturity and strategic thinking. Last night's game was a stark illustration of youthful impatience at the plate, the risk of the "sacrifice mentality" where you mortgage an out to move a runner over and then run out of available outs to get that runner home, and unbalanced aggression. I feel bad for Alek Thomas because his error in the outfield is going to be seen as a turning point for the Rangers, but really the game was lost a lot earlier on, IMO.

Arizona sports being what they are, I wish I could say that the D'Backs will be in better shape for a deep run next season, but with a team this dependent on momentum and chaos, who knows... but it was nice while it lasted. Just don't let it be another 20+ years between playoff runs, guys.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Well. The D'Backs were really exposed by the Rangers over that World Series. We're definitely a team that needs some more maturity and strategic thinking. Last night's game was a stark illustration of youthful impatience at the plate, the risk of the "sacrifice mentality" where you mortgage an out to move a runner over and then run out of available outs to get that runner home, and unbalanced aggression. I feel bad for Alek Thomas because his error in the outfield is going to be seen as a turning point for the Rangers, but really the game was lost a lot earlier on, IMO.

Arizona sports being what they are, I wish I could say that the D'Backs will be in better shape for a deep run next season, but with a team this dependent on momentum and chaos, who knows... but it was nice while it lasted. Just don't let it be another 20+ years between playoff runs, guys.

Dbacks we're 21st in team payroll. If it doesn't go up, then the owner is not trying to build on their success. Money isn't everything (Hi Mets!), but it's an indicator of owner commitment.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They'd all rather have an indoor football team in their venue than an NHL team? Ok.

Right now they'd accept anything they can get. Rattlers get the scraps at Footprint anyway so it works for both sides.

Meruelo indicated he wanted to own more pro sports teams other than the Coyotes for TED. Maybe he buys the Rattlers in 3-5 years and pulls them out of Glendale if he gets his arena done??.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Naych_PHX

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Right now they'd accept anything they can get. Rattlers get the scraps at Footprint anyway so it works for both sides.

Meruelo indicated he wanted to own more pro sports teams other than the Coyotes for TED. Maybe he buys the Rattlers in 3-5 years and pulls them out of Glendale if he gets his arena done??.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I were Meruelo, I'd be looking seriously at building a soccer facility at whatever location he's planning and then forcing his way into the MLS discussion. It would be a great fit for his corporate strategy, his diversity programs, and his Latino outreach.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Phoenix just won a penalty shootout against Charleston to win the USL soccer championship. Weirdest 5-round shootout I've seen in 30 years of watching soccer:

Phoenix: miss-miss-make-make-make
Charleston: make-make-miss-miss-miss

Reactions: Summer Rose

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thought I saw that YouTube TV is blacking out 3tv now. They want that suns money. It's just going to be a rotating fight between providers and tv channels at this point it seems like.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Thought I saw that YouTube TV is blacking out 3tv now. They want that suns money. It's just going to be a rotating fight between providers and tv channels at this point it seems like.

Yep. From what I understand, ALL of the local affiliate stations are clamoring to renegotiate their contracts with streamers like YTTV, Hulu w/Live, Fubo, Sling, et al. because they feel like they're missing out on profits. Unlike cable, apparently the streamers negotiate directly with the national networks and not the affiliates, and the local stations (which have independent ownership - 3TV is owned by Gray Television, for instance) get the short end of the stick. Eventually, I'm guessing that streamers are going to be legislated to be more like cable TV, which will end up evaporating most if not all of their ROI.

The ideal situation would be an a la carte carriage service, where you could pay for the 10 or so channels you actually watch - but none of the big entertainment corporations would ever do that.

Sucks for Suns' fans, but as they told us Mutts followers - "Just get an antenna!" :laugh:

Reactions: Matias Maccete

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yep. From what I understand, ALL of the local affiliate stations are clamoring to renegotiate their contracts with streamers like YTTV, Hulu w/Live, Fubo, Sling, et al. because they feel like they're missing out on profits. Unlike cable, apparently the streamers negotiate directly with the national networks and not the affiliates, and the local stations (which have independent ownership - 3TV is owned by Gray Television, for instance) get the short end of the stick. Eventually, I'm guessing that streamers are going to be legislated to be more like cable TV, which will end up evaporating most if not all of their ROI.

The ideal situation would be an a la carte carriage service, where you could pay for the 10 or so channels you actually watch - but none of the big entertainment corporations would ever do that.

Sucks for Suns' fans, but as they told us Mutts followers - "Just get an antenna!" :laugh:
At least Ishiba offered them (antennas)

To coin a term from someone else…. “those asshats haven’t yet.” :D

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dbacks Diamondbacks have new uniforms starting next season

I liked the sand color, so my very first reaction was kinda eh, especially the white one, also not a big fan of just the chest logo like that, but the longer I look at them the more I like them. The white is also an off-white, and I love off-white/cream/sand colored jerseys so that's a big win for me.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Dbacks Diamondbacks have new uniforms starting next season

I liked the sand color, so my very first reaction was kinda eh, especially the white one, also not a big fan of just the chest logo like that, but the longer I look at them the more I like them. The white is also an off-white, and I love off-white/cream/sand colored jerseys so that's a big win for me.
Figures... the players said, "We love the purple, let's bring that back," so the team decided to go with... more teal with the red.

Reactions: SniperHF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad