OT: OT thread number 11 | No More Bad News PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

For sure, looks like a great venue. Will wait till the F1 chaos is over though. ;)

Going to a show on Oct 14 when driving to our home in AZ. Rooms on the strip are upwards of 1000-1300. One night booking on a Saturday which is always a disaster. Took a room in a budget hotel - Homes2Suites east of the Venetian that is a 40 minute walk back and it was still 400 USD. f***ing stupid right now.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
Very... very OT... but i think there's some good sturdy Ukrainians that must at least lurk this board - I was told tonight my last name is not really my last name, when my great-great G emigrated he used an alias to escape... his criminal past lol - I was told my real last name but it just came across as Dobreya? Dubreva? He said it like Dobroya - Not like it matters, just curious - could that be a ukrainian surname? i've been looking but can't find anything definitive - guess i could hit reddit but i don't want to

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1696178050688.png

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A couple were killed by a Grizzly bear in Banff. Rare event but Bears are very hungry this year, limited berry crop and its thought this was a hungry bear. Bear also attacked first responders to the scene.

Tragic incident and the worst of its kind here for decades. RIP to these hikers.

Aggressive Bear was put down.

The couple were very knowledgeable and I'm sure all precautions were taken. Its not a good time to be in the back country. The Berry frost of the crop was reported in the spring. hardly any berries for the bears.

One wonders if trout stocking of some waterways should recur just to give Bears something to eat within the parks. They're not getting enough and are more and more desperate.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

snag

Feb 22, 2014

Been paying 6.5 cents this whole way through and for the longest time didn't know what the hullaballoo was about. I mean, I thought everyone with any smarts would been locked in. I actually used to flip back and forth....and will be doing so again after my solar is installed (ditching my 6.5cents to hopefully go net zero since in 2025 my rate goes bye bye and solar payments would be the same as I am paying now).

The whole fixed rate credit qualification is so ridiculous. I mean, you are selling your service and billing the people regardless. Like that is the actual point there?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A couple were killed by a Grizzly bear in Banff. Rare event but Bears are very hungry this year, limited berry crop and its thought this was a hungry bear. Bear also attacked first responders to the scene.

Tragic incident and the worst of its kind here for decades. RIP to these hikers.

Aggressive Bear was put down.

The couple were very knowledgeable and I'm sure all precautions were taken. Its not a good time to be in the back country. The Berry frost of the crop was reported in the spring. hardly any berries for the bears.

One wonders if trout stocking of some waterways should recur just to give Bears something to eat within the parks. They're not getting enough and are more and more desperate.
The drought is just kicking the shit out of every living thing making food scarce.

It's a very tragic thing to happen. We're in their territory and domain and become part of the food chain when we go into the woods or into the water. All bets are off encountering predatory wildlife whether it's on land or in the ocean...look at Steve Irwin. Extremely knowledgable scientist and although he wasn't killed by a predatory fish, it was a sting rays tail when he got too close to one and it whipped it's tail at him piercing his heart. They are generally considered gentle creatures so you never know what wildlife you will encounter or can predict how it will behave around you.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The drought is just kicking the shit out of every living thing making food scarce.

It's a very tragic thing to happen. We're in their territory and domain and become part of the food chain when we go into the woods or into the water. All bets are off encountering predatory wildlife whether it's on land or in the ocean...look at Steve Irwin. Extremely knowledgable scientist and although he wasn't killed by a predatory fish, it was a sting rays tail when he got too close to one and it whipped it's tail at him piercing his heart. They are generally considered gentle creatures so you never know what wildlife you will encounter or can predict how it will behave around you.
You just never know when its your time. As a hiker and somebody that has been in backwoods a lot my one main fear has been Grizzlies, Bears, Cougars. Been attacked by a bear before (while in tent) and I've been stalked by a Cougar. Both terrible experiences. Fortunately I've not run into a Grizzly. Seen them at distance and prefer to keep it that way.

The couple were in a really remote area. Its outfitter type country on front range of Banff where no roads even go too close to. They must have hiked in quite a ways or some kind of back road I don't know of. But unlikely there was anybody anywhere around to be of assistance. As much as I love the outdoors we don't do that, and I wouldn't do that with my wife. We go more on used trails closer to some kind of help if need be.

Just tragic. Can't even fathom what ordeal this couple went through. Grizzlies don't often kill but when they do its <no word for it>.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
You just never know when its your time. As a hiker and somebody that has been in backwoods a lot my one main fear has been Grizzlies, Bears, Cougars. Been attacked by a bear before (while in tent) and I've been stalked by a Cougar. Both terrible experiences. Fortunately I've not run into a Grizzly. Seen them at distance and prefer to keep it that way.

The couple were in a really remote area. Its outfitter type country on front range of Banff where no roads even go too close to. They must have hiked in quite a ways or some kind of back road I don't know of. But unlikely there was anybody anywhere around to be of assistance. As much as I love the outdoors we don't do that, and I wouldn't do that with my wife. We go more on used trails closer to some kind of help if need be.

Just tragic. Can't even fathom what ordeal this couple went through. Grizzlies don't often kill but when they do its <no word for it>.
I couldnt imagine the sheer panic and terror of first seeing it then being charged. I just hope it was over for them and their dog quickly with little suffering and pain.

I grew up in the country where there was the odd report of a bear but I remember being about 13 on my bike and being (possibly) pack hunted by about 4 or 5 coyotes. My dog was with me and was staying unusually close as she liked to explore, then I looked in one field to my right and seen two pairs of ears poking out of the wheat crop on my left. I looked to my right in a canola crop and seen at least two more and they were moving through the crops toward us. They were probably more interested in my dog than me but thank God I was very close to the lane going to our farm's yard. Still an unnerving feeling.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I couldnt imagine the sheer panic and terror of first seeing it then being charged. I just hope it was over for them and their dog quickly with little suffering and pain.

I grew up in the country where there was the odd report of a bear but I remember being about 13 on my bike and being (possibly) pack hunted by about 4 or 5 coyotes. My dog was with me and was staying unusually close as she liked to explore, then I looked in one field to my right and seen two pairs of ears poking out of the wheat crop on my left. I looked to my right in a canola crop and seen at least two more and they were moving through the crops toward us. They were probably more interested in my dog than me but thank God I was very close to the lane going to our farm's yard. Still an unnerving feeling.
I've read all the Bear attack books including by Stephen Herrero. Some of the attacks are so horrific in that they don't end quickly. Thats the terrible thing. Particularly if theres a cub around the Bear will first maim and disable, then check on cubs, then come back. Many a bear attack people have thought thats the end, and the bear just keeps coming back until somebody either helps and intervenes, somebody somehow manages to get away. One of the top experts on this attack surmised that probably the dog was attacked first, that the dog attempted to shoo the Grizzly away but then as dogs do they will retreat back to their owners in the case of a Grizzly. Dogs can scare a bear at times. Not much chance of that with a Griz. Dogs don't seem to distinguish this well enough.

So the dog would have brought the Griz back, and then the owners tried to save the dog and succumbed. Its thought thats how this occurred.

People are told to NEVER have their dog in back country or on trails. For this kind of reason. Its the one mistake these people made.

Yeah. In the Coyotes case it was the dog they were looking for. Terrible stuff. Glad you made it safely.

Myself I was stalked by a Cougar on a morning hike, alone, on Vancouver Island. It was silly and impulsive but I started hiking before dawn, made every mistake in the book being alone on a trail I hadn't been on before, and tbh not too aware there would be Cougars around. In this case it was one Cougar and it stalked me for miles. Frightening. Was happy to get back at the trailhead. Went back to the campground and never told my wife about it till much later. Felt really stupid though.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Blue Jays.....thud!

Nice planning of the pitching rotation. Their best pitcher 16 game winner never gets off the bench.

I guess their strategy of lets get rid of hitting for defense failed.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Blue Jays.....thud!

Nice planning of the pitching rotation. Their best pitcher 16 game winner never gets off the bench.

I guess their strategy of lets get rid of hitting for defense failed.
Didn’t matter who you were gonna use as a pitcher with this offense.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly I saw this coming. Such a dangerous spot. Love how they consider it a market crosswalk when the signs are literally just there right at the crosswalk. Look at the picture the sign is literally after the crosswalk on the one side. Be very interesting how quickly they rectify this problem now, but I'm sure it isn't the only spot in Edmonton with these issues.

On a side note they really do need to make it illegal to have headphones on and or talking/texting on a phone while crossing a street. Just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you should be careless and just assume you'll be okay.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly I saw this coming. Such a dangerous spot. Love how they consider it a market crosswalk when the signs are literally just there right at the crosswalk. Look at the picture the sign is literally after the crosswalk on the one side. Be very interesting how quickly they rectify this problem now, but I'm sure it isn't the only spot in Edmonton with these issues.

On a side note they really do need to make it illegal to have headphones on and or talking/texting on a phone while crossing a street. Just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you should be careless and just assume you'll be okay.

I always thought a “marked” crosswalk had painted lines on the road indicating where pedestrians would be crossing the street in addition to a sign and or flashing lights. It was a poor picture in that article but I saw nothing indicating it was a marked crosswalk.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I always thought a “marked” crosswalk had painted lines on the road indicating where pedestrians would be crossing the street in addition to a sign and or flashing lights. It was a poor picture in that article but I saw nothing indicating it was a marked crosswalk.
There is literally just a white sign. They've had so many issues in residential areas around there that they've spent a pile of money on different lines and signs, but off a major road to just have that is dumb

Doesn't help that people are often doing 80km/h there. Which is funny the last few years they had speed traps all the time. Now that there is way more development and safety concerns they haven't had any that I saw.

But hey they do have photo radar on henday and 34st at 2am when there is barely any traffic

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For sure its not ideal situation when there are not properly marked or painted crosswalks but hold the phone on lighted flashing crosswalk or such. Many areas in the city went without this for decades, all the while wanting changes. For instance it wasn't till recently that 16ave going from Millwoods to Laurel across 34st was lighted intersection The 18ave crosssing very busy with cars and pedestrians is still only stop sign controlled. People have been requesting lights there for 40yrs.

The subdivision above is BRAND NEW. Its been typical of city policy right or wrong to develop infrastructure like crossing lights and controlled intersections and even widened roadways AFTER subdivision development. For instance 34st wasn't even paved, it was gravel past 23AVE for around 20yrs after Southwood development.

I'm all for improvements but City needs to either rethink entirely how it operates and when it puts infrastructure but also to be consistent with that from one neighborhood to the next.

Heres another. The city for decades has been building out Neighborhoods East and West of 17th street all the way from 23ave to Whitemud. They also built a Rec Center there, they're building highschools there. All this on a 2 lane road that can't handle the traffic. Traffic backs up 4-5 lights which of course are also not coordinated lights. The City is FINALLY starting widening of this main road to 4 lanes. This decades after Henday was built and 17th street was made into a main thoroughfare.

Its a joke but this is what the city does.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There is literally just a white sign. They've had so many issues in residential areas around there that they've spent a pile of money on different lines and signs, but off a major road to just have that is dumb

Doesn't help that people are often doing 80km/h there. Which is funny the last few years they had speed traps all the time. Now that there is way more development and safety concerns they haven't had any that I saw.

But hey they do have photo radar on henday and 34st at 2am when there is barely any traffic
34st doesn't even connect with Henday. Are you speaking of a different point? Theres only a narrow bridge above Henday at 34st and without access. Just a flyover. I've never seen radar stationed there and if it was it would impede 34th street traffic on the narrow laneway bridge crossing. I've seen radar setup at 50th street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad