OT: Olympic Stadium to get new roof

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
New Arena in quebec 400 millions. Truck load of complains.
New roof in Montreal 250 millions. Not too many complains if at all.

I don't even care anymore at this point this is just funny. I hope for this price we will have a real top of the line roof this time.

Do you seriously think anyone in Montreal is happy about spending money on the Olympic Stadium?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Heathcliff: Hey Gertrude, did you hear they`re taliking about putting a new roof on the Big O?

Gertrude: Bunch o' birdbrains.

imagesz4gbuo13-jpg.83127

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Blowing it up will cost a lot of money, and will impact tourism greatly. We hate it for many justified reasons but it's a pretty big landmark.

It is? Who wants to go see that eye sour when visiting montreal? I mean old port, Mount Royal, downtown, the empty decrepit Olympic stadium? One of those things doesn't belong.

I don't believe this it will cost more to tear it down narrative. Just BS to suck more money out of us to keep it running for no reason at all.

You could probably build some great things there. Condo's, stores, industrial area, anything that would bring in more revenue than an empty Big O.

But if we tore it down we might forget the amazing expo 67 and Olympics that was over 50 years ago and the Expos who left over 20 years ago. I truly believe its because of expo 67 and Olympics and the memories of how great Montreal once was and how important it once was. Its like the Big O is the last vestige of a time gone by when Montreal was the center of Canada and a real player in North America. Destroying it would in a way acknowledge the downward trend this city has been on from its former glory days.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
It is? Who wants to go see that eye sour when visiting montreal? I mean old port, Mount Royal, downtown, the empty decrepit Olympic stadium? One of those things doesn't belong.

I don't believe this it will cost more to tear it down narrative. Just BS to suck more money out of us to keep it running for no reason at all.

You could probably build some great things there. Condo's, stores, industrial area, anything that would bring in more revenue than an empty Big O.

But if we tore it down we might forget the amazing expo 67 and Olympics that was over 50 years ago and the Expos who left over 20 years ago. I truly believe its because of expo 67 and Olympics and the memories of how great Montreal once was and how important it once was. Its like the Big O is the last vestige of a time gone by when Montreal was the center of Canada and a real player in North America. Destroying it would in a way acknowledge the downward trend this city has been on from its former glory days.

Spend a day around the Big O, it's always full of tourist taking picture, it is a landmark, it is popular.

Reactions: TRG

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

People do want to go see it. I’m not a resident of Montreal, so I probably just see it from a different view. But I do have family I often fly down to see, and it’s usually on the list of things family and friends have on the list.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I guess I learn something new, people actually want to see the big eyesore LOL.

Still think the land its on can be used for something better.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I guess I learn something new, people actually want to see the big eyesore LOL.

Still think the land its on can be used for something better.

I honestly think it's a beautiful and pretty impressive structure when you look at it from a distance :P

The inside is actually terrible tho

Reactions: TRG

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I honestly think it's a beautiful and pretty impressive structure when you look at it from a distance :P

The inside is actually terrible tho

We could invest some more millions to put it to the goût du jour and listen to the rest of the province whine about it.

Well maybe not because I'm not in Montreal anymore but whatever :laugh:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I like the Olympic Stadium. Its a unique architecture.
I am from Longueuil and on Chemin Chambly looking North, you can see the Big O standing at the end of the streets across the St-Laurent.
That's nice and all but as one of the experts said, if that icon does not do anything and does not make money there it ends up being useless.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
With a new roof, will the big O be sufficient for an MLB team?

After attending a few games at real baseball stadiums down South I have to say no. I'm sure any potential return will be conditional on Montreal getting one as well.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
With a new roof, will the big O be sufficient for an MLB team?

It was accepted as adequate for MLB in the mid sixties, but standards are higher now. There is a good chance it may not be accepted by MLB now.

"Manfred explained MLB would need a strong commitment from Montreal for a new stadium before the league could seriously consider relocating a team or expanding there."

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says if Montreal wants baseball back, the city needs a new stadium

... and if so, by spending $200M on it's new roof, that also means that amount less for a downtown adequate Expos building. It's just another nail in the coffin of reviving the Expos.

Last edited:

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
It was accepted as adequate for MLB in the mid sixties, but standards are higher now. There is a good chance it may not be accepted by MLB now.

"Manfred explained MLB would need a strong commitment from Montreal for a new stadium before the league could seriously consider relocating a team or expanding there."

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says if Montreal wants baseball back, the city needs a new stadium

... and if so, by spending $200M on it's new roof, that also means that amount less for a downtown adequate Expos building. It's just another nail in the coffin of reviving the Expos.

Basically either 200-250M roof for big O or 500M for a new stadium. What poor decision making. The big O is old, why continue to invest in it? We’ll have a new roof, but the inside is outdated. 250M on a 40 year old building. When we could use that towards a brand new stadium.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Rapport annuel 2016 - Parc olympique de Montréal

1,2M visits at the Olympic Park in 2016. 241 551 visits at the tower.

It’s not a justifiable argument though. Those 1.2M visitors don’t solely come to Montreal for the big O, it’s certainly not the main attraction. The 1.2M will simply be diverted to another landmark. 250M on a 40 year old structure is poor management. We can have a new state of the art stadium instead.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
$600M to get rid of it. Think about that.

kinda reminds me if you driving an old beater car. Just need to put a couple hundred bucks to get it going. The cost of a new car seems so high, so you just keep spending on the old beater.

Had a friend like that driving 15 year old car. 500 hundred here, 200 there, 300 here etc... car ended up dying and he had to get another car, wasted probably a good 2 or 3 grand on his hunk of junk when he would of been better off just getting rid of it and using that money towards the car he bought anyways.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
It’s not a justifiable argument though. Those 1.2M visitors don’t solely come to Montreal for the big O, it’s certainly not the main attraction. The 1.2M will simply be diverted to another landmark. 250M on a 40 year old structure is poor management. We can have a new state of the art stadium instead.

I just gave a number to "wow people still go see that big toilet bowl".

I'm sure there's a way to renovate the stadium, maybe revamp the whole f***ing thing and keep the tower.

Our problem is the same though: who's going to use it.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
I just gave a number to "wow people still go see that big toilet bowl".

I'm sure there's a way to renovate the stadium, maybe revamp the whole ****ing thing and keep the tower.

Our problem is the same though: who's going to use it.

Renovate the entire stadium you say? Well, at the point just build a new one, in a better location.

The only reason why we're keeping it is due to nostalgia - which is wrong, considering it will continue cost hundreds of millions to continuously repair, maintain, and power it throughout its continued existence. There's no future for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad