OT: Olympic Stadium to get new roof

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
A new roof for the Big O has been talked for years but finally (or unfortunately) Quebec appears to be moving forward with actual plans and options.

Quebec OKs new roof for Big O

While a fixed roof seems to be the choice, portions could be removable if such option is ultimately chosen. This opens the possibility to host a future Winter Classic. Would be pretty epic to host a +60 000 crowd for the Habs but overall feel we will continue pouring public funds into something that isn't expected to provide positive ROI. How do you feel about the future of this unavoidable monument of Montreal landscape?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
New Arena in quebec 400 millions. Truck load of complains.
New roof in Montreal 250 millions. Not too many complains if at all.

I don't even care anymore at this point this is just funny. I hope for this price we will have a real top of the line roof this time.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

I don't even care anymore at this point this is just funny. I hope for this price we will have a real top of the line roof this time.

Citizens of Quebec City are crying about it on the radio. :laugh:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
How much do you think tearing down apart the stadium is going to cost?

Blowing it up not an option

The estimated cost of dismantling the stadium ranges between $500 million and $700 million. Blowing up the stadium and trucking away the concrete and steel isn't an option, he said.
"We cannot implode it. We would have to take a lot of precautions," he said, explaining that it would need to be taken down "block by block" given the nature of the structure, the nearby buildings and two Metro stations.

Dismantling Montreal's Olympic Stadium would be 'foolish,' says man in charge

More than half of a new Stadium...

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Free. Give everyone a sledgehammer and giddy up.

How much will it cost to upkeep an empty building? They have to add more than a new roof if they want to do anything with it.

I like the Olympic Stadium. Its a unique architecture.
I am from Longueuil and on Chemin Chambly looking North, you can see the Big O standing at the end of the streets across the St-Laurent.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like the Olympic Stadium. Its a unique architecture.
I am from Longueuil and on Chemin Chambly looking North, you can see the Big O standing at the end of the streets across the St-Laurent.

Yes it is iconic and I have fond memories of going to games when I was younger. But what can you honestly do with a 55,000 seat stadium? It’s too big for a non existant baseball team. It’s far too big for a soccer team that already has a stadium. The only option is completely gutting it and rebuilding the inside for a market or something of the sort which will also have ridiculous costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterNoItAll

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
In Quebec they have a brand new large arena. My dad goes to a concert a while back and guess which arena it was in? The old one. What a waste of tax payers dollars :laugh: And fyi the acoustics in the old arena were putrid. Ruined the concert.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

100 times this. Seriously all the money that the Quebec government and city of Montreal has spent on that white elephant plus multiple roof repairs could have built 3 stadiums. I'll be there cheering the day they finally take a wrecking ball to that albatross.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yes it is iconic and I have fond memories of going to games when I was younger. But what can you honestly do with a 55,000 seat stadium? It’s too big for a non existant baseball team. It’s far too big for a soccer team that already has a stadium. The only option is completely gutting it and rebuilding the inside for a market or something of the sort which will also have ridiculous costs.

I doubt any major reconfiguration is planned. People talk about hosting events like they used during winter but just how many can you have? Occasional Salon de l'Auto, major CFL/Soccer game, Winter Classic game what else? Due to poor acoustics I can't see many music concerts wanting to set foot there especially when Bell Center is a much better venue even with less capacity. A rave party where people go get high at best...

Probably can't even monetize naming rights much due to poor branding/history.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
It is a beautiful and iconic building....my mother used to live in the Olympic village too, great place (expensive....)

Really too bad there really is no use for it in Montreal. And that roof was always a mistake though that design is what makes it such an iconic looking structure.

There is no easy or cheap solution. We pay another 25yrs an extra tax on cigs? Hum....

Reactions: Pickles

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Old Mosaic stadium is being demolished with heavy equiptment in Regina right now at a cost of 2 million dollars, Hamilton-based company Budget Demolition is doing the demo. It would not cost 100 million to take down the big owe.

Reactions: MisterNoItAll

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Blowing it up will cost a lot of money, and will impact tourism greatly. We hate it for many justified reasons but it's a pretty big landmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad