OT: Olympic Stadium to get new roof

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
You need a major tenant like Cirque du Soleil to put on a major new production every year for 3 or 4 months.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Renovate the entire stadium you say? Well, at the point just build a new one, in a better location.

The only reason why we're keeping it is due to nostalgia - which is wrong, considering it will continue cost hundreds of millions to continuously repair, maintain, and power it throughout its continued existence. There's no future for it.

That's what I said. Hang on to the former glory of Montreal when the city was actually a big deal. If its destroyed its like putting the final nail in the coffin of the city as a big time player in NA. For now the Big O can be pointed to and be like remember we had the Olympics here, Montreal was big time.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
That's what I said. Hang on to the former glory of Montreal when the city was actually a big deal. If its destroyed its like putting the final nail in the coffin of the city as a big time player in NA. For now the Big O can be pointed to and be like remember we had the Olympics here, Montreal was big time.

You listen to a lot of Quebec City radio to come up with that discourse?

Reactions: TRG and le_sean

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017

Big time player for what exactly?

The problem with Montreal and the reason why it has remained stagnant not just in business, but in sports, and many other facets of society, is because it hangs onto the past too often. To succeed and remain relevant with the times, you have to adapt and innovate.

Again, nostalgia is not a justifiable argument to literally waste hundreds of millions.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

It’s repeatedly listed as one of the best cities in North America and nowhere in the reasoning is the “Olympic Stadium from 1976”

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
It's ugly as hell inside though.
Hmmmmm. Le Stade Olympic was completed in 1976 so it's 42 years old and if Montreal gets the transfer of the Tampa Bay Rays franchise, Montreal won't play there again, only for exhibition games by the Blue Jays. Blow the stadium up!

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
They keep saying how it would be too expensive to demolish but then every few years they are spending hundreds of millions a year on reno programs to keep it (barely) functioning. Surely a long term demolition program being amortized over a decades or two would come to less? That's a long time but at least at the end of that the reclaimed land could be back in productive use. With the current plan we will pay a lot, get nothing useful and still be stuck with it in 20 years (paying more than ever for maintenance as condition deteriorates).

These well fed looking guys running its administrative crown corporation are very good at convincing the government to keep giving them cash money with stuff like this phony tourism numbers.

Reactions: lo striver

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
They keep saying how it would be too expensive to demolish but then every few years they are spending hundreds of millions a year on reno programs to keep it (barely) functioning. Surely a long term demolition program being amortized over a decades or two would come to less? That's a long time but at least at the end of that the reclaimed land could be back in productive use. With the current plan we will pay a lot, get nothing useful and still be stuck with it in 20 years (paying more than ever for maintenance as condition deteriorates).

These well fed looking guys running its administrative crown corporation are very good at convincing the government to keep giving them cash money with stuff like this phony tourism numbers.

There was a film company a couple years ago who were willing to blow up the Big Owe and pay for it. I think it was Denis Coderre who told them no.

Instead, we are investing a billion dollars to keep a building that isn't used much running.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the problem is the Metro station underneath the stadium. And let's not forget how soft the land there was to begin with. Before the stadium that plot of land was a golf course that was flooded a lot of the time. They had to pour an insane amount of concrete when they built the stadium and it's had subsidence issues from Day One because of the shaky ground it's built on.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I think the problem is the Metro station underneath the stadium. And let's not forget how soft the land there was to begin with. Before the stadium that plot of land was a golf course that was flooded a lot of the time. They had to pour an insane amount of concrete when they built the stadium and it's had subsidence issues from Day One because of the shaky ground it's built on.
That's correct, they can't just implode it, it has to be taken apart piece by piece.

Welcome! I wanna know how someone from New West has a Laurentide avatar. :thumbu:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That's correct, they can't just implode it, it has to be taken apart piece by piece.

Welcome! I wanna know how someone from New West has a Laurentide avatar. :thumbu:

Montreal born-n-bred. Moved to the Evil Empire (Toronto) as a kid, went back to the 514 for university, moved to the West Coast in the fall of 92 and have been here ever since. Never drank Laurentide except when attending games at the Forum. I liked it better than Export or Brador.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Brador was something else. 6.2% alcohol which in those days was unheard of in a domestic beer. Got waisted on too many nights drinking that at the Black Cat.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Bruins fans used to come by the busload when the Bruins would play the Habs on a Saturday night. They'd take up almost an entire section of the corner blues and would get trashed on "Bray-dough-ah" before fighting amongst themselves after one of them made a pass at another one's girlfriend.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
They should use that 1 billion for something else...I don't know like demolishing that crap and building a stadium downtown.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I fear that as long as City Hall can be convinced that it has to keep the Big O functioning there will never be the will or the cash to fund any other sort of stadium elsewhere in the city. As long as the Big O keeps draining money out of government nothing is going toward Bronfman's group to help bring the Expos back.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
How much money does it actually generate? Like is the budget numbers available? Does this thing even break even or something?

I know most will say it generates nothing but I know that isn't true. There's some events for sure.

I don't mind the stadium but they have to make a hard push for it to sustain itself.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Blow that f***ing thing up and he done with it. It's just Delaying the inevitable on a building no one is, and will be using. I don't give a shit if there's a subway station under, blownthat f***er up too and fix it later. repairing the station would be cheaper that breaking up the stadium - oh! Idea! Let's make the station underneath less shit while we're at it. Wait no, by the time the repairs are done they'll have invented Star Trek teleportation by then

Oh who am I kidding, it's Quebec, of course they'll keep around, just like throwing money in a campfire....

f*** this, I'm going to Shanghai Monday on a train going at 400kmph, enjoy your stadium and it's roof no one gives a shit about

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Blow that ****ing thing up and he done with it. It's just Delaying the inevitable on a building no one is, and will be using. I don't give a **** if there's a subway station under, blownthat ****er up too and fix it later. repairing the station would be cheaper that breaking up the stadium - oh! Idea! Let's make the station underneath less **** while we're at it. Wait no, by the time the repairs are done they'll have invented Star Trek teleportation by then

Oh who am I kidding, it's Quebec, of course they'll keep around, just like throwing money in a campfire....

**** this, I'm going to Shanghai Monday on a train going at 400kmph, enjoy your stadium and it's roof no one gives a **** about
I'd love a ride on the G7.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
An open air 35,000 seat stadium in Griffintown would be awesome.

Friday night baseball game in July when it’s 25 degrees. Just a short walk from downtown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad