OT: OT: Lets Go Cardinals! (All Baseball Talk Here) Part 2

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am not an expert on event space subsidies or incentivess. Most of my work was in rural communities, and I've since shifted to workforce development/talent attraction (I get bored easily and switch career tracks) So take this with a big grain of salt.

A lot of the studies I've read ignore or underplay the intangible benefits of these deals. Having a sporting team makes you a "real" city. That in turn attracts residents and businesses. The economic effect of that cannot be quantified easily.

Also like everything in business, it's a negotiation. There are winners and losers. The winners generally have the better representation , which billionaire sport team owners can more easily afford. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do any deal, just better deals.
The big difference between those studies and this situation is the stadium is already built. Which makes this worse. What real gain is there for the city?

The cardinals are an entrenched organization that will draw fans regardless of what they do. This also means there would be no incentive for them to move. The Cardinals are also making money hand over fist, so they really don’t have a good case IMO for needing assistance.

There is also a supposedly growing decline in younger people being interested in pro sports. So whether sports are an actual draw for migratory populations is probably on the decline. There is also significant migration to smaller sized cities that don’t boast robust pro sports collections.

Collectively this all suggests to me that any ask by DeWitt for these projects is not a great nor needed investment by the city.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The big difference between those studies and this situation is the stadium is already built. Which makes this worse. What real gain is there for the city?

The cardinals are an entrenched organization that will draw fans regardless of what they do. This also means there would be no incentive for them to move. The Cardinals are also making money hand over fist, so they really don’t have a good case IMO for needing assistance.

There is also a supposedly growing decline in younger people being interested in pro sports. So whether sports are an actual draw for migratory populations is probably on the decline. There is also significant migration to smaller sized cities that don’t boast robust pro sports collections.

Collectively this all suggests to me that any ask by DeWitt for these projects is not a great nor needed investment by the city.

Well with a updated stadium big events are more likely to choose your stadium for events. Think the Kiel center and the renovation. We got the all star game, they even let us host the cup finals again. Also yes I know it's not the Kiel anymore but f*** that stupid new name I can't remember.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am not an expert on event space subsidies or incentivess. Most of my work was in rural communities, and I've since shifted to workforce development/talent attraction (I get bored easily and switch career tracks) So take this with a big grain of salt.

A lot of the studies I've read ignore or underplay the intangible benefits of these deals. Having a sporting team makes you a "real" city. That in turn attracts residents and businesses. The economic effect of that cannot be quantified easily.

Also like everything in business, it's a negotiation. There are winners and losers. The winners generally have the better representation , which billionaire sport team owners can more easily afford. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do any deal, just better deals.
these intangible benefits are how leagues and teams keep extorting money out of cities. it preys on the insecurity of the populace and the cynical suspicion that elected leaders are worried about bing blamed for team leaving town.

Reactions: Xerloris

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Few more weeks of this and Busch will be at under 30k during the weekdays

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
looks like a 5year contract extension is incoming for Marmol!

GLpoKbYWEAAIHLq

Reactions: Fez Whatley

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Not trading Goldschmidt at the deadline last season was such a missed opportunity. And obviously still way too early on Walker, but if he busts, we are in trouble.

re: Goldy, I agree major missed opportunity. At least they haven't extended him, yet.

I wonder if the Cardinals would hire Pujols to fix Walker's swing / approach. His regression is alarming.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
marmol deserves this as does bowtie boy. shame the fans will pay for the sins of these clowns.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The really troubling thing is they’re doing this while getting some pretty good pitching (for the most part). Part of the risk of making a 36 and 33 year old the lynchpins of your offense is that the cliff might come sooner than you want it too.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Over the last half dozen years or more, what can we say this front office is good at? They aren't a top 10 team in drafting/developing or trading, and they don't spend the payroll they have effectively. The Goldy and Arenada trades were huge wins in terms of what we got vs what we gave up, but we've been coasting off those trades rather than capitalizing off of them for so long that we're now clearly seeing how little additional value has been brought into the organization in years.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Well the pitching has been fine. But the hitting is horrible. Don't know what the hitting coach is doing but they need to turn it around.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Gorman and Goldy both homering is huge. Hopefully this gets the team going. Seemed dead in the water most of the night but found a way to win.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's absolutely insane that we spend the 3rd most on starting pitching. The figure in the article is misleading because it's using the creative accounting on Ohtani, instead of his contractural value. And it really sums up the issue for the organization, for too long we suck at developing talent. We've had too many top prospects flop at the majors or pitchers that just never make it, forcing us to pay crazy money to crappy vets.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Matz is Kapanen
seems like good guy, has lots of talent, does some really good things, but makes “that” mistake that costs the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad