Confirmed with Link: Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
$750K per year isn't a huge discount if you're giving him an additional 2-3 years worth of guaranteed salaries on the back end. Don't pretend this is a back-diving deal like Keith/Hossa/Pronger/etc.

Yeah but they can still either trade him or put him on LTIR towards the end ...since the NHL standards for that are down to allergies.

It was a great sign. Had to keep him there, to keep competing for the cup.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
He gets 6 years x 7 million if he hits the free agent market.

With the lower cap hit and increase to the salary cap next year they more or less keep him at the same price. I'm ok with it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Perfectly fine with it and he could have gotten $6.5 easily. His game will age gracefully imo. He's proven himself as core.

Yup. Figured longer term like 5-6yrs could get him below $6M but this is a looong deal and I'm fine with it. He'll play out his career on this contract and probably be a huge part of Caps marketing. This is a potential Captain contract and a banner on the front door that states "TOP FREE AGENTS WELCOME".

And in 8 years this number will seem very low. 8 years ago the salary cap was almost 17M less than it is now.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Eight years is obscene. A lot of posters had the "we'll deal with the back half of his contract when we get there" approach with Orpik's contract as well, and guess what, we're in the back half. STOP SIGNING PLAYERS UNTIL THEY'RE THIRTY NINE.

AAV is tolerable, but doesn't leave a ton of room to maneuver. Orpik's contract still has to go if they want to address the 2nd pairing.

Cheer up man I know you are kind of a glass half empty person :).

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
fwiw

According to CapFriendly, Oshie’s deal includes a no trade clause in all eight years of the contract: A 15-team no trade list in the first four years of the contract and a 10-team no trade list in the final four years.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Very long but love TJ and we can let him age into Justin Williams.

I'd really like it if the Captain and coach were moved out.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Strategic what-what?

Strategic foresight. The ability to say 4 years from now (if applicable), "Okay, we're moving in the wrong direction. Need to rebuild. TJ's still playing well, his salary's down to $4.5m, and there's 20 teams we can talk to about moving him. Let's make a deal."

They softened the backend substantially, about as much as you can within the rules, is my point. If he's still potting 20 and a versatile, all-situations guy, moving him wouldn't have to be so hard. You might have to eat a little, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Strategic foresight. The ability to say 4 years from now (if applicable), "Okay, we're moving in the wrong direction. Need to rebuild. TJ's still playing well, his salary's down to $4.5m, and there's 20 teams we can talk to about moving him. Let's make a deal."

They softened the backend substantially, about as much as you can within the rules, is my point. If he's still potting 20 and a versatile, all-situations guy, moving him wouldn't have to be so hard. You might have to eat a little, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Langway's point is that the Caps brass doesn't do that whole "strategic foresight" thing. :laugh:

Limited NTCs are pretty standard operating procedure for the Caps, but then they allow all of their players to ride out until the end of the contract anyway.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I can see Oshie being able to slide down to the 3rd line winger with his skill set as he ages. Always something good to try and factor looking at a player's skill set overall if it will age ok.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I can see Oshie being able to slide down to the 3rd line winger with his skill set as he ages. Always something good to try and factor looking at a player's skill set overall if it will age ok.

I wanted to see him carry the 3rd scoring line this year, AKA BEFORE he got a massive contract. If he could carry a scoring line on his own, I'd be much more comfortable giving this kind of money and term to him. Paying this much for the third wheel on the top line and a PP1 gunner seems like a big premium.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Perfectly fine with it and he could have gotten $6.5 easily. His game will age gracefully imo. He's proven himself as core.

My sentiment exactly. His game is not predicated on speed or quickness. He's also a hard worker. The salary cap will likely be higher on the back half and the team in rebuild mode with more space. He would be a great guy to have in that scenario.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oshie seems like a good ambassador of the game, well liked and respected by all. Heck, he is practically Mr. USA. Definitely good insurance if we ever need a new face of the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad