Confirmed with Link: Oshie stays with caps (8 years, 5.75 mil aav)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
AAV is good, term is crazy.

I suppose it's a justifiable gamble if you believe that the Caps will be in contention in the near future.... the lesser evil of losing Oshie for nothing.

I'm not feeling optimistic about the Caps' direction, so... whatever. Cross fingers for Oshie to stay healthy. They more or less dodged a bullet with Orpik, maybe Oshie will tone it down and figure out how to stay effective longer.

Oshie seems like a really good guy -- at the very least, in this sense it will be pleasant to watch him on the team. Hopefully not a hospice kind of pleasant, lol.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so heres the question then: do you take this deal and maybe have trouble at end of deal or you say no to this deal and he signs somewhere else?

dont forget about caps fans who dont know much about hockey but like tj oshie

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You said it. I didn't.

Fans of the team and players -- who don't consider themselves armchair GM's who think they know more than everyone else -- all seem to be happy to see Oshie back, and at less than 6m a season.

You feel otherwise. That's fine.

You know it's entirely possible to both be a fan and try to have a knowledgeable opinion on the construction of the roster, right? You know it's possible to be a fan of a player and realize that player is no longer an ideal fit for your team, right? I'm a huge Alzner fan (his jersey is my go to for games), but I realize the Capitals are better off without him at this juncture. I own a signed Joel Ward jersey from his time with the Caps, but I wasn't going to object to GMBM opting to go with Oshie and Williams over bringing back Ward. Likewise, I'm a fan of Oshie. But I can also recognize that his contract is not going to be beneficial to the team for most of its term.

It's entirely possible to separate the emotional aspects of being a hockey fan from the rational ones. If you're not here to discuss the finer points of hockey and roster construction, I question why you'd participate in HFBoards.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
By the time this contract is really bad, we'll be in a full rebuild. If we maintain some level of competitiveness for a coupla years, it's probably worth it from our management's POV. Happy to see TJ stay.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You know it's entirely possible to both be a fan and try to have a knowledgeable opinion on the construction of the roster, right? You know it's possible to be a fan of a player and realize that player is no longer an ideal fit for your team, right? I'm a huge Alzner fan (his jersey is my go to for games), but I realize the Capitals are better off without him at this juncture. I own a signed Joel Ward jersey from his time with the Caps, but I wasn't going to object to GMBM opting to go with Oshie and Williams over bringing back Ward. Likewise, I'm a fan of Oshie. But I can also recognize that his contract is not going to be beneficial to the team for most of its term.

It's entirely possible to separate the emotional aspects of being a hockey fan from the rational ones. If you're not here to discuss the finer points of hockey and roster construction, I question why you'd participate in HFBoards.

Eye Roll.

Please stop acting so insulted. I can just as easily scoff at your "horror" at the deal, as you can scoff at me for calling you out for it.

I think your brow beating concern about this deal is....dramatic. You think I'm ignoring your rights as a fan. Both are part of the conversation.

Isn't that the very premise "why you'd of participate in HF Boards"?:sarcasm:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The good thing about Oshie is as he ages they can easily move him to a shutdown 3C where he could rely on his faceoffs and smarts rather than skills and where he'd still provide Jordan Staal/David Backes like value.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I'm not happy with the 8 years, at all. Having old guys making bank really hurts your team, as you just can't shift them. Orpik was probably good 8 years ago...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
so heres the question then: do you take this deal and maybe have trouble at end of deal or you say no to this deal and he signs somewhere else?

dont forget about caps fans who dont know much about hockey but like tj oshie

Say no and try to sign Justin Williams for 2 years. Similar overall production and better 5v5 production, and it's not like Mr. Game 7 is lacking the intangibles Oshie is given credit for either.

This saves money against the cap for this season to either lock up the RFAs long term or to be able to actually upgrade the top 4 on D.

Instead it's going to be tough to lock in Orlov and Kuznetsov long term while also having anything left over for a top 4 D upgrade. Oshie's a fine player but he also had the highest shooting percentage of any player over the past 8 seasons IIRC. I highly doubt he'd be considered this valuable if he only shot 13% like he did the season before.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
and if ovechkin gets back to his normal high scoring self?

People are not seeing this for what it really means, imo, which is that Ovechkin is gone in four years when his contract is up. Let's face it...if we don't win a Cup by then he's going somewhere else, maybe in the NHL. If we win a Cup before his contract expires he may just retire from the NHL and play in Russia.

Then Oshie then becomes the face of the Caps, maybe the Captain, or at least the veteran anchoring the core, and Ovechkin's $9.5M goes back into the player pool making Oshie's contract much easier to swallow on the back half.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
By the time this contract is really bad, we'll be in a full rebuild. If we maintain some level of competitiveness for a coupla years, it's probably worth it from our management's POV. Happy to see TJ stay.

That's my take. Bad term but who cares? The core only has a few good years left anyway.

Maybe they should offer Williams $1.25x8.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sign Williams

Forget signing a 4D ... let the kids and Orpik fill the gap

and if it looks reasonable, sign a 4D at the deadline

I was thinking the same thing. Let Connolly go, sign a few kids from Hershey and let the D go for a while. See what the kids can do. Maybe one of them rolls into the top 4 w Carlson. If not, address as the season goes. Or deal Orpik in a Laich type deal. You will probably see some LTIR use this season too

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I was thinking the same thing. Let Connolly go, sign a few kids from Hershey and let the D go for a while. See what the kids can do. Maybe one of them rolls into the top 4 w Carlson. If not, address as the season goes. Or deal Orpik in a Laich type deal. You will probably see some LTIR use this season too

I'm on board with this approach as well. There also comes a point where recognizing that the team may have too many similar style LWs in MAJO, Burakovsky and Vrana and need to move one. I'm high on Burakovsky so it should come down to MAJO or Vrana.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Skating and injury are the looming concerns here. This seems like a classic "spectrum" deal: good contract for 2-3 years, OK contract for 2-3 years, albatross contract for 2-3 years.

For a team that proclaims it "realizes" the game is getting faster, it is important to note that we are heavily locked in on three slower top 6 forwards and just lost our most mobile defenseman.

It's a rock and a hard place off-season as expected. Losing Oshie would have been brutal, keeping him at this term seems to signal the org is not planning as if their window has slammed shut.

Five-year "soft" window incoming, followed by a rebuild, is what I expect. Of course, much like the spectrum contract above, things can change one way or another in a hurry.

I'll hope for the best, and expect the worst, as always...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->