Speculation: Oshie factor?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I was just wondering while reading our trade thread would there be problem if we had Oshie in our team. Like everybody are searching Oshie type of player on our team at TDL.

Just making a little poll which team would you rather prefer, ofc this is meaningless now (Oshie is gone blaa blaa), but still it shows some truth about this current team what we really need.

So crucify if need, but I just want to know how we fix our top6 problem.

Current team

Code:
Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Berglund - Steen - Backes
Fabbri - Stastny - Brouwer
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves

With Oshie in

Code:
Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Steen - Backes - Oshie
Berglund - Stastny - Fabbri
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Even though Oshie > Brouwer, I for some reason like our lines better without him. Mainly due to the top 6.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We would have to speculate that Oshie completely gave up on Hitch and would not play his part. There's evidence to support this. Like the comment of pretty much only wanting to play with Backes. I think when people say locker room cancer they think no one likes him. I think everyone liked him but if you have a top guy that's butting heads with the coach, it's a problem....even if the guy is liked. At the end of the day, the coach is the coach, the players need to follow him.

So while Oshie is much more talented then Brouwer, Brouwer does his job and I rarely see him "quite" on a play. Also I think his defensive game is better. That doesn't offset the offensive drop though........

On paper we are a worse team, and to the eye test we are too. Maybe there is substance to the locker room presence Brouwer brings. He never seems to get down. That can have a positive effect that keeps the boys going.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm going to change the question a little to something that is at least worth discussing (in my opinion).

If the Blues add a forward as a rental, should they be pursuing an "Oshei-type" player? If you could mail order a rental forward for an appropriate price, what would you want?

I'd prefer a player with significant playoff experience/success who is a 20+ goal scorer maybe in the latter half of his career. A guy that has a gear he can raise his game to but maybe having a bit of a disappointing season with the day to day grind (which is a sign of age) but willing to go to battle in the playoffs. Able to play the physical style without wilting.

I'd like a guy who can help maintain possession, but the Blues biggest need is someone that can convert possession into scoring chances, and can finish his share of those.

For the sake of argument I'll leave off naming anyone specific. Its possible this guy doesn't exist, or would be too valuable. I think Oshie lacks some of what I would be hoping to get from a rental.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Just say it....Loui Eriksson

Honestly, don't know if he fits that mold. Lehterasenkshow has scouted him much more than I have. If he's that type of player, probably a good move. But I don't think he's viewed as a pure rental, as whatever team acquires may want to re-sign him. So the cost may be more than I'm comfortable with.

I think most of the guys that fit my description are already playing for contenders and not available.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Honestly, don't know if he fits that mold. Lehterasenkshow has scouted him much more than I have. If he's that type of player, probably a good move. But I don't think he's viewed as a pure rental, as whatever team acquires may want to re-sign him. So the cost may be more than I'm comfortable with.

I think most of the guys that fit my description are already playing for contenders and not available.

I wouldn't move for the guy, too costly.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Brouwer goess to the "dirty" areas of the ice including the front of the net, something this team was lacking. He's just the kind of player Army was looking for. A little havoc in front of the net creates openings for the other guys so even if Troy doesn't get a point, he's contributing. Oshie played on the outside more often and the Blues have plenty of guys who can do that. Of course the talent level isn't the same, that's why the Caps had to add a pick and prospect to the deal, it's the playing style that the Blues wanted to get.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I think Copley could be a pleasant surprise in this deal. We may look back on it and realize how well it worked out.

Even if Copley ends up as a good goalie, it wasn't an area of need. We already had Husso and Binnington. I get that Army needed to get another AHL goalie since Climie left, but he could have signed someone and traded for a better pick or prospect.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
The poll is sorta confusing lol. You ask with or without, and then give yes or no answers, when it could be yes to with or yes to without, or vice versa

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Even if Copley ends up as a good goalie, it wasn't an area of need. We already had Husso and Binnington. I get that Army needed to get another AHL goalie since Climie left, but he could have signed someone and traded for a better pick or prospect.

But that gives the Blues flexibility to flip one of those goalie prospects for something else or an additional chip. I realize that goalie prospects don't carry the same weight as a forward or defenseman, but, some teams are looking for young goalies to bring up.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The poll is sorta confusing lol. You ask with or without, and then give yes or no answers, when it could be yes to with or yes to without, or vice versa

I noticed myself when I open this thread. Sorry if that was too messy and hard to understand.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Oshie had his issues, I think maybe we could have gotten more for him, time will tell with Copley. Brower will have to show me something in the playoffs.

This I do know Oshie was overrated here in St louis. He could make a highlight real play one night and totally float the next two. It seemed that he lost a little of his hitting last year IMO, which was a big part of his game. Then there was the locker room issues, some with hitch [mod]

My final thought is IF he was still on this team Fabbri would not have made the team out of camp and I 100% think Fabbri is a better player, between Jayden and Robby, Oshie was expendable.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Oshie had his issues, I think maybe we could have gotten more for him, time will tell with Copley. Brower will have to show me something in the playoffs.

This I do know Oshie was overrated here in St louis. He could make a highlight real play one night and totally float the next two. It seemed that he lost a little of his hitting last year IMO, which was a big part of his game. Then there was the locker room issues, some with hitch [mod]

My final thought is IF he was still on this team Fabbri would not have made the team out of camp and I 100% think Fabbri is a better player, between Jayden and Robby, Oshie was expendable.

Why would Fabbri have not made the team out of camp if Oshie was here instead of Brouwer?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Why would Fabbri have not made the team out of camp if Oshie was here instead of Brouwer?

IMO Hitch would have wanted Size, we would be pretty small with schwartz, Osh and Fabbri. Those three along with how soft Backes has played, teams like the Kings would destroy us. Just my opinion

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
oshie is a joke of a player and this team is much better off without him.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
As a Blue's fan, I respect what Oshie did for the team, but I don't really miss him and I think this year's team is more balanced and resilient. We've seen this team struggle at times and have seen a lot of come from behind wins. This team doesn't quit when they get behind early and fights to come back. I didn't see that as much in past seasons. Brouwer has been good in filling the role he is expected to play. He can't fill the same role that Oshie was expected to play, but Brouwer does what he is expected to do. I like what this year's team is doing, every game is exciting.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think the resiliency talk is somewhat overblown. There was talk of the team being a lot more resilient last year (relative to previous versions) as well. Assuming for the sake of argument that there is some tangible change in team attitude, I'd still argue that it's a pretty gross oversimplification to chalk that up as a "plus" in Brouwer's tally sheet.

Even if you feel like this team is better than last year's version, that isn't an argument for this team being better off with Brouwer than Oshie. The goaltending has been playing out of its mind. Parayko and Fabbri have had seasons well above what might have conservatively been projected. There are a lot of confounding variables here that have absolutely nothing to do with either Brouwer or Oshie.

Outside of the ever elusive "impact center", I'd say most people who think we have any sort of shot in the playoffs would say that our biggest depth chart hole at the moment is at RW behind Tarasenko.

With that in mind, if someone wants to make the argument that this team is better off with the RWer who is on pace for 15 goals and 31 points over the guy who has already surpassed both those numbers through 56 games played, the I'd like to hear that case.

I haven't heard a compelling one to that effect yet.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm more baffled still want to argue.

At the end of the day, keeping Oshie wouldn't have increased my confidence in playoff success. What Oshie is doing with an immensely better offense is irrelevant in Stl. The only issue is the return, and until evidence surfaces that better assets were available. It's just pointless bickering

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm more baffled still want to argue.

At the end of the day, keeping Oshie wouldn't have increased my confidence in playoff success. What Oshie is doing with an immensely better offense is irrelevant in Stl. The only issue is the return, and until evidence surfaces that better assets were available. It's just pointless bickering
Not sure what this has to do with anything. It's not like he's on pace for career highs in offensive production in Washington.

We know what Oshie was here. His role (and also linemates) probably wasn't going to change if he stayed. He's not old enough to be in decline. I'm not sure why we need to take anything that's happening in Washington into account when we clearly know what he was here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad