Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He was NHL drafted from his Finnish team the Pelicans Jr. so the CHL-NHL agreement does not apply to him. His is eligible to play AHL.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
He was NHL drafted from his Finnish team the Pelicans Jr. so the CHL-NHL agreement does not apply to him. His is eligible to play AHL.
I understand that agreement part but as we see with most players, they stay in their respective junior team until their 21 year. Saves Minnesota financially too.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Nobody is saying for sure he is not back. Just that it is less likely because of all the options. There was no rush for Min to sign him (I believe they had another 3 years of rights,) and yet they did.

Reactions: yessir29292

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Nobody is saying for sure he is not back. Just that it is less likely because of all the options. There was no rush for Min to sign him (I believe they had another 3 years of rights,) and yet they did.
I guess we are of different mindsets as I believe they didnt being him to the OHL with the intention of it being only 1 year. I expect he will be back after doing a couple games with Minnesota to start the year

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They brought him to get him comfortable on the smaller ice, where he can use his size more effectively. If they think that he needs to now play against bigger bodies to continue his development, they will move him. Plans change all the time.

Reactions: yessir29292

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
They brought him to get him comfortable on the smaller ice, where he can use his size more effectively. If they think that he needs to now play against bigger bodies to continue his development, they will move him. Plans change all the time.
Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Oshawa cracks the CHL top 10 for the 1st time this year.
Screenshot_20240319_123026_X.jpg

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He goes to Wild camp and lights it up. I think he’ll be back, too, just not forsure.
At most he would get his 9 games and be sent back.
They aren't going to burn a year on his ELC being a team that's going to be going through a massive restructure and wont win for a couple years.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
At most he would get his 9 games and be sent back.
They aren't going to burn a year on his ELC being a team that's going to be going through a massive restructure and wont win for a couple years.
He can play in the A, though. If they decide that’s best for development it wouldn’t shock me

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Min Wild fan podcaster? Based on that tweet he also doesn’t seem to understand the Import agreement in the OHL
There is no Import Agreement in the OHL. The agreement is that if a player is drafted by an NHL team before they play in the Canadian Hockey League they can play in the AHL when they are 18 or 19. If an Import plays for a CHL team prior to be drafted into the NHL they cannot be play in the AHL at 18 or 19. The only exception is if a player is only loaned to a Major Junior team by a team in Europe. Kumpulainen is AHL eligible because he was drafted by a NHL team before he played in Oshawa.

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He can play in the A, though. If they decide that’s best for development it wouldn’t shock me
He is not AHL ready sorry to say.
It wouldn't be best for his development to play 6 minutes a game in the AHL.

The height makes is deceiving but he needs to be bigger and stronger to hang in the A and that is why you rarely see see kids under 20-21 in the A.
This will come with time as he is very talented but the smart choice is to let him grow into his body and be bigger, faster and stronger and finish out his OHL stint.

You also have a pro coach in Laxdal so Minny knows he is in good hands there on a team thats going to be very good again next year.
Doesnt make much sense to me to see him not in a gens jersey.

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
. . . and that is why you rarely see see kids under 20-21 in the A.
You rarely see players under 20 in the AHL because they are rarely allowed. If they came through the CHL, they must have played 4 years in the CHL before being eligible (see Shane Wright as the most recent example), or have been drafted by the NHL before playing in the CHL (as in RK's situation), or be coming from the US directly (i.e. USHL).

Not many players meet any of those criteria, and as a result, there are not many players under 20 in the AHL -- no other reason.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
You rarely see players under 20 in the AHL because they are rarely allowed. If they came through the CHL, they must have played 4 years in the CHL before being eligible (see Shane Wright as the most recent example), or have been drafted by the NHL before playing in the CHL (as in RK's situation), or be coming from the US directly (i.e. USHL).

Not many players meet any of those criteria, and as a result, there are not many players under 20 in the AHL -- no other reason.
These rules are in place to protect them.
A bunch of 165LB kids that are 5"8 would have a pretty difficult time in the AHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The height makes is deceiving but he needs to be bigger and stronger to hang in the A and that is why you rarely see see kids under 20-21 in the A.
This will come with time as he is very talented but the smart choice is to let him grow into his body and be bigger, faster and stronger and finish out his OHL stint.

You also have a pro coach in Laxdal so Minny knows he is in good hands there on a team thats going to be very good again next year.

The one caveat is how he performs in Minny camp. If Minnesota feels it would be advantageous to keep access to the player, they would send him to the AHL where they’d be able to access the player during the season if they need. If they don’t feel they require access tot he player, they can send him back to Junior and leave him for the entire year. Of course, they do not have access to the player when reassigned to Junior. A lot of that may have to do with how their offseason progresses with signings and depth chart in the organization.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Per GU.

North Bay beat Mississauga 5-4. Both teams have 1 game left.

Oshawa: 87 pts, Sunday 6pm vs Sudbury
North Bay: 85 pts, Sunday 2pm vs Peterborough

Both have 38 ROW, so if they end up tied in points, North Bay would win the tiebreaker. So #Gens need 1 pt vs SBY or PBO to beat NB

squireprods

May 8, 2023
Great race to the season end by the Gens. Needed a W or OTL, and they got a solid W. Looking their best heading into the post-season. Loving the 1st round matchup with Barrie. Onward and upwards!

Last edited:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Congrats on winning the east. Oshawa has looked very good over the past couple months, and made some solid moves leading up to the deadline.

Caught the end of the game vs Sudbury today. Hopefully Punnett is okay, but that looked awful after he tried to beat out an icing. Just a fluke injury.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Congrats on winning the east. Oshawa has looked very good over the past couple months, and made some solid moves leading up to the deadline.

Caught the end of the game vs Sudbury today. Hopefully Punnett is okay, but that looked awful after he tried to beat out an icing. Just a fluke injury.
same. hoping it's just a charlie horse or a stinger.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

This is how I feel as well. He likely could play in the AHL next year but he will be in a bottom 6 role most likely, not much special teams. In Oshawa he will get to continue developing his skill and get a lot of opportunity. The team will be a championship caliber team as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad