Origins of Hockey - A Cornucopia from the 16th~19th Centuries in the US & Canada

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Man that is early isnt it?. And very colorful indeed. Written by people who loved words & knew how to use them with tremendous elan, flourish..... I went to that site you linked (are you a subscriber I assume?) & quite the depth of historical newspapers & publications huh? Spend hours, years getting lost in there & all at the touch of ones fingertips. Digitized. Amazing resource & still being added to. :)

Just when there was a possibility of getting caught up.

Reactions: Killion

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
The first indoor hockey games played in Washington at the Convention Hall Skating Rink in 1896.

img

Evening Star, 10 Jan 1896, Fri, Page 10

img

img

Evening Star, 24 Feb 1896, Mon, Page 10

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
As far south as Charlotte in 1886? Wow, that is some find. Must have been an unusually cold winter there, I would suspect?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As far south as Charlotte in 1886? Wow, that is some find. Must have been an unusually cold winter there, I would suspect?

Apparently some very strange weather in 1885, 1886 & in particular the following winter 1886/87 with extreme conditions (super hot summers, early winters) right across the US... really bad from the mid-west on out with a huge loss of livestock so severe that it changed how ranchers ran their operations, doing away with open-range grazing. Put a lot of them out of business and a huge crisis... a lot of loss of human life, people getting lost within feet of their doors in blizzard-whiteout conditions & freezing to death & so on.... then of course April 17, 1897... Farm near Aurora Texas.... beautiful spring evening around dusk... Alien craft took out much of a farmers barn not 60' from his porch as he, the wife & his two sons were reclining after a fine repast.... killing the lone occupant upon impact...more to that story of course but..... So, yes Kyle... the life of the old colonists, homesteaders & ranchers wasnt an easy one between the extreme conditions, being attacked by Kamikaze Aliens who fortunately, lousy pilots.... but they did have hockey. Thank God for that eh?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Tom Griffith was captain of one side and Charley Snider was captain of the other. We have never yet found out which side we were on; all we know is that we watched for a chance to sweep down upon the ball and knock it into the next township.

:laugh:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Apparently some very strange weather in 1885, 1886 & in particular the following winter 1886/87 with extreme conditions (super hot summers, early winters) right across the US... really bad from the mid-west on out with a huge loss of livestock so severe that it changed how ranchers ran their operations, doing away with open-range grazing. Put a lot of them out of business and a huge crisis... a lot of loss of human life, people getting lost within feet of their doors in blizzard-whiteout conditions & freezing to death & so on.... then of course April 17, 1897... Farm near Aurora Texas.... beautiful spring evening around dusk... Alien craft took out much of a farmers barn not 60' from his porch as he, the wife & his two sons were reclining after a fine repast.... killing the lone occupant upon impact...more to that story of course but..... So, yes Kyle... the life of the old colonists, homesteaders & ranchers wasnt an easy one between the extreme conditions, being attacked by Kamikaze Aliens who fortunately, lousy pilots.... but they did have hockey. Thank God for that eh?

Heh, I'm probably less surprised about aliens touching down in the American southwest 50 years before Roswell than I am about hearing of hockey played on frozen ponds in North Carolina.

Reactions: Killion

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
James, incredible!!!. A scheduled game between defined teams, advertised in a newspaper that predates Montreal and James Creighton, March, 1875. Question of the similaritiesb between lacrosse on ice and hockey.

The Americans certainly were early. I researched that particular game in 2011. They published the names of the players the following day. We have instances of teams around New York playing Baseball on Skates and Lacrosse on Skates with defined teams, advertised in newspapers dating back to at least the early 1860s.
I believe that in Montreal 1871 is the first date with Lacrosse on Skates with identified players and teams. England of course had ice hockey earlier than 1871 with defined teams, names of players, and the game being advertised in the newspapers.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Americans certainly were early. I researched that particular game in 2011. They published the names of the players the following day. We have instances of teams around New York playing Baseball on Skates and Lacrosse on Skates with defined teams, advertised in newspapers dating back to at least the early 1860s.
I believe that in Montreal 1871 is the first date with Lacrosse on Skates with identified players and teams. England of course had ice hockey earlier than 1871 with defined teams, names of players, and the game being advertised in the newspapers.

These were clearly defined as members of the Knickerbocker and Manhatten Lacrosse Clubs in the blurb.

England from what I have seen were named - listing of players on a side, without membership. Not quite the same.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
These were clearly defined as members of the Knickerbocker and Manhatten Lacrosse Clubs in the blurb.

England from what I have seen were named - listing of players on a side, without membership. Not quite the same.

Lacrosse on skates on the other hand is not ice hockey. Not true when it comes to membership. London Skating Club played the game way back in the 1840s for example.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Claim was never made that it was.

London Skating Club, against who in a select or best against best format.

Who in the United States or Canada did that before 1875 when it came to hockey?
Canadian and American hockey clubs, against who in a select or best against best format?

In England it was common to select the best players from a town in order to challenge
other towns, mostly for bragging rights, but also for symbolic prizes, like barrels of whiskey,
dinners and so forth. You also had clubs like the Elsham Club and Brigg Club doing the same thing.

We've had this discussion before, no need to repeat all of it again.
England formed hockey and Canadians perfected it.
We can thank the British for many of the sports, not to mention the language. :thumbu:

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
An excerpt out of the book Impressions of America During the Years 1833, 1834, and 1835 published in 1836 where it mentions "Bandy and Skating" in Boston.

"About five miles from the city are a couple of delightful pieces of water, called Jamaica and Fresh-ponds; each bordered by wood, lawn, and meadow, naturally disposed in the most attractive manner. At the lastnamed pond,-which sounds unworthily on my ear when applied to a piece of water covering a surface of two hundred acres,—I passed an afternoon during the period of my first visit here.We sailed about, exploring every harbour of the little sea, caught our fish for dinner, and by the hotel were furnished with a well-broiled chicken and a good glass of Champagne, with ice worthy of being dissolved in such liquor. I fell premeditatedly in love with the place; and D–, who was on the look-out for a location, and something hard to please withal, already selected a site for building: but, alas! even Paradise, before the mission of St. Patrick, had serpents; and the delightful copses and rich meadows of Fresh-pond are, it appears, the haunts especially favoured by the incarnation of all Egyptian plagues, musquitoes.During the winter this is a great resort of the lovers of bandy and skating; and from this ample reservoir is taken that transparent ice which gladdens the eyes and which gladdens the eyes and cools the throat of the dust-dried traveller throughout this part of the State."
Impressions of America During the Years 1833, 1834, and 1835

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadiens1958

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad