Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Hypothetically:

If Montreal win the lottery, Mete becomes much more expendable imo.

If we can get another 1st from the Pacioretty trade. Let’s assume 15 ovr, does Mete and that pick do it? Maybe with Mccarron or similar prospect added?

I’m thinking Pacioretty is going to Florida btw, just my gut

If Montreal wins the lotto and decides to go after ROR to fix their center position, I fully expect that top 3 pick coming back. Just look at who is making the trade. Dahlin is of course out of the question, but if Buffalo could draft twice in the top 4 and gets back a good defensive prospect I'm all for helping a division rival with a 1c.

Bigboi123

Apr 15, 2018
Kitchener ON
:sabres
Jeff Skinner
2019 1st round pick (CAR)
2019 2nd round pick (CAR)
2020 1st round pick (CAR)
2020 2nd round pick (CAR)

:canes

Ryan O'Reilly
Johan Larsson
Jake McCabe

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Keep slogging away with Rask & Staal as your top 2 options. I'm sure Peters or whatever warm body is the HC next season will be able to ice a competitive lineup with those two options.

Because "slogging away with Rask and Staal" means the only option is a terrible trade. Yeah, that's the way it works.

Reactions: bluedevil58

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
How has Zadorov been playing for the Avs.....honest assessment (not the HF board buildup my team's players one ). What defensive pairing do you see him maxing out at.

Factor in my Avalanche bias, but Zadorov reminds me a ton of Chris Pronger - his size, his ability to use his reach to protect the puck, his massive hits, his smooth skating - if he can continue to iron out the boneheaded plays and defensive misreads (which he got better at as the season went on) and continue asserting his offense (which he also did as the season went on) then he is absolutely on the cusp of being a top pairing guy. I’d say he already is. And his playing style just gets more fun to watch all the time, he really can change the flow of a game with his physical presence.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
If the Blues can't land Tavares perhaps they'll be looking at ROR ?

They certainly have the assets to get it done and ROR would fit in age-wise with the rest of their core.

Pretty good replacement for Stastny and they love their 2-way guys.
They might have interest, but it's tough to find a deal that Buffalo would accept that wouldn't open a gaping hole elsewhere in the Blues current lineup. Some GMs would do a trade like that anyway just to get a guy they covet or because they think the "value" is there, but that's never really been Armstrong's MO.

Armstrong is stubborn and Buffalo has zero internal motivation to move ROR, so I'd be very surprised if a deal materialized that moved ROR to the Blues.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Keep slogging away with Rask & Staal as your top 2 options. I'm sure Peters or whatever warm body is the HC next season will be able to ice a competitive lineup with those two options.

...and what precisely does that have to do with throwing in multiple high picks for questionable "value added" in the form of guys we neither want, nor have any use for?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I wouldn't be opposed to an O'Reilly for Hanifan + 2nd (hypothetical) ......I also would be alright with keeping O'Reilly. So it must be close value. I think a lot depends on how the draft lottery plays out for us.
ROR + B Prospect + Buffalo 32OA

For

Hanafin + Carolina 11OA(After Lottery set)

I think it is a fair deal for a B prospect if you like Bailey/Fasching/Baptiste or McCabe

Carolina can still get a 1st round player who drops out of the 1st round and ROR is definitely worth more than Hanifin so trading 21 spots in the draft makes up for the difference.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
ROR + B Prospect + Buffalo 32OA

For

Hanafin + Carolina 11OA(After Lottery set)

I think it is a fair deal for a B prospect if you like Bailey/Fasching/Baptiste or McCabe

Carolina can still get a 1st round player who drops out of the 1st round and ROR is definitely worth more than Hanifin so trading 21 spots in the draft makes up for the difference.

You'll probably get a lot of differing opinions on this from Canes fans, but this is the type of deal I could see the Canes doing. The "B prospect" has little to no value though as the Canes system is very full of B/B+ prospects. I say this knowing very little about those players, just going off of your description of them being a "B prospect".

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You'll probably get a lot of differing opinions on this from Canes fans, but this is the type of deal I could see the Canes doing. The "B prospect" has little to no value though as the Canes system is very full of B/B+ prospects. I say this knowing very little about those players, just going off of your description of them being a "B prospect".
Just take out the B Prospect

ROR + 32nd

for

Hanifin + 11 OA

Being a sabres fan its tough to move on from ROR but getting Hanifin and moving up 21 spots is solid.

Carolina is stacked on defense and could afford to lose Hanifin for ROR and still have talent in the pipeline. moving up 21 spots makes the difference in value for ROR and Hanifin. I think it is a win win for both teams

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I've been thinking of a more constructive trade from St Louis as Parayko for ROR really doesn't make sense given the holes it creates. I'm thinking this at least mends the holes created. This also gives Toronto another NHL ready RH defenseman with some offense to their game.

ROR, Zaitsev, Nielsen
for
Parayko, Sobotka, Schmaltz
No thanks. Rather keep parayko

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Just take out the B Prospect

ROR + 32nd

for

Hanifin + 11 OA

Being a sabres fan its tough to move on from ROR but getting Hanifin and moving up 21 spots is solid.

Carolina is stacked on defense and could afford to lose Hanifin for ROR and still have talent in the pipeline. moving up 21 spots makes the difference in value for ROR and Hanifin. I think it is a win win for both teams

Nope. Take out the #11 pick and add the Canes 2nd. ROR doesn’t pull Hanifin PLUS a #10 pick. The difference between Stepan (who got a top-10 pick) and ROR isn’t Hanifin.

ROR
For
Hanifin + #42 Overall

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Montreal wins the lotto and decides to go after ROR to fix their center position, I fully expect that top 3 pick coming back. Just look at who is making the trade. Dahlin is of course out of the question, but if Buffalo could draft twice in the top 4 and gets back a good defensive prospect I'm all for helping a division rival with a 1c.

In your dreams

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

If I had to make an ROR deal, though I remain totally opposed to acquiring ROR and think anything we trade for him is wasted assets, this is pretty close...

though I'd prefer to either drop the #32 and B spec for a better spec or drop the Canes 1st for a lower value asset in a ROR-only deal.

If the Sabres goal is acquiring Hanifin as opposed to moving ROR, I'd much rather target Mittelstadt as the centerpiece of the return.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If I had to make an ROR deal, though I remain totally opposed to acquiring ROR and think anything we trade for him is wasted assets, this is pretty close...

though I'd prefer to either drop the #32 and B spec for a better spec or drop the Canes 1st for a lower value asset in a ROR-only deal.

If the Sabres goal is acquiring Hanifin as opposed to moving ROR, I'd much rather target Mittelstadt as the centerpiece of the return.

The Canes greatest asset this offseason. will be the $25 million in Cap they have. They are much better off trying to trade Faulk, Skinner, Lindholm, etc. and replace them with UFAs while keeping young potential studs like Hanifin. Faulk or Skinner can be replaced by Mike Green and JVR. Hanifin’s #1D potential is nearly impossible to replace outside of the Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad