Post-Game Talk: Orange County Duck, Freshly Choked, Foie Gras Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodforyoursoul

May 17, 2013
+1

something with those interviews hits me. im glad i wasnt the only one thinking Getzy's seemed more "meh" whereas Fowler and Maroon seemed downright devastated and at a loss for words.

He (Getz) May be thinking it's not his fault they lost, assuming the coaching issue is true.
A vet like him may see it differently than the younger guys.
That's me just throwing out a guess; trying to figure the psychology of it all. (When I play the losses don't sting as bad when others had bad games but I feel I did my part)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Seems like I'm the only one who ditched the Duck Trek logo and went with the bandwagon. I was a at a party and did not watch this game (ended up being a good thing) so I'm probably not as crushed as some but this still hurts. A lot.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Having supervised a number of highly competitive litigation attorneys, the way a person reacts publicly to defeat does not necessarily reflect upon how devastated they really are. Often I found myself having to keep the appearance of "ho hum", not showing too much emotion when someone lost a big case, in order to keep the attorney who lost and the whole program running forward on an even keel. Inside I was one upset puppy dog. Outside I was what some people here would call "meh". But that was part of my job.

After the emotions of the loss had finally died down, we would do an analysis of what went wrong. And that is exactly what the Ducks should do. First, wait for a bit, and then do an analysis so they know what to try to improve for next year.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
As others have said, not having a clear cut #1D is a problem that becomes more glaring as each playoff series passes. Keith is an absolute beast that we don't have any comparables for, and he is pretty much carrying the Hawks to another SC.

Hopefully Lindholm can eventually progress to that sort of level, but he definitely has a ways to go. It normally takes dmen a lot of time to hit their peak, and he's only 21 years old so it isn't really fair to expect him to carry the defense and shoulder the entire load. It's basically a pipe dream in today's NHL to acquire top level defenders, so we have to take the "wait and see" approach with our young core.

Ando

Keyboard Warrior
Oct 18, 2014
Central Coast, CA
Seems like I'm the only one who ditched the Duck Trek logo and went with the bandwagon. I was a at a party and did not watch this game (ended up being a good thing) so I'm probably not as crushed as some but this still hurts. A lot.

I was working (as I work ends), so I could only post and see the scores as well. It still hurts because it's over, but it's also a relief that it's over. Granted, I'd rather be heading into SC final, but there's nothing we can do to change that, that's just the way sports go. I honestly don't harbor much dislike towards the Hawks, but I'd rather see the Bolts win it all. That team is fun to watch and are easy to cheer for, plus Hawks fans are annoying as hell, so it'd be fun to see them taken down a notch.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
please give a recap if you can.

It was pretty short. As a disclaimer, I don't listen to Brewster so I have no perspective on his spin or lack thereof. But here's the CliffsNotes version...

He was asked where it went wrong for the Ducks. He said game 6. In game 6 only Cogs, Stoner and Thompson played like they wanted to end it that night. Everybody else, not so much.

As much as he said it pained him to say, he put the blame on Getzlaf mainly but also Perry. Said they didn't dig deep enough like Toews did. He then told a story of a conversation he once had with Scotty. He asked Scotty if once you got to the final four, was it more psychological? Was it about who wanted it more? The idea being that at that point, all 4 teams are usually pretty close in talent. Scotty said yes, it is about who wants it more. So, while being apologetic about it, he reiterated his belief that Getzlaf (and somewhat Perry) didn't want it bad enough.

He talked about how the first goal of game 7 was scored from the slot where he generalized and said all playoff games come down to defending your slot and getting into your opponent's. He mentioned the Ducks not doing that offensively and allowing the first game 7 goal from there.

He was asked if the team might go through some turnover due to the continued game 7 failures. He said BM has put together a very good team and he sees very little change coming and no big reaction due to the loss. He wasn't asked and didn't volunteer anything about BB.

That's what I remember off the top of my head.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I'm sure our guys "wanted it" just as much as the Hawks. The whole "lack of leadership" narrative gets tired after a while. Even seeing some people say Getz should be stripped of the "C", he should be traded, he didn't look like he cared after the game, etc. I mean WOW, people really don't understand how good we have it with our team to spew **** like that.

Only one squad can win the Stanley Cup; does every other team that loses in the playoffs have a leadership problem? It is probably more because of the way in which we lose, but as more information comes out injuries played a part as well for both Getzlaf and Lindholm. I know it gets people even more pissed because of the game 7 chokejobs, but to think the guys on the ice didn't give it their 100% effort is really dumb and shortsighted.

It comes down to the fact that we didn't execute as well as they did plus having a bad bit of luck, just like it does in any other game. Chicago have elite talent up and down the ice, and they showed it over a seven game span. Their best players came through when they needed them most, and ours didn't. Crawford was good enough to get his team through to the finals, Andersen gradually played worse as the series went on. Keith crapped all over us and showed why he is a perennial Norris candidate, Beauchemin flopped and looked every bit of his near 35 years. We hit what 4? posts in that triple overtime game that could have ended it at any point and put us up 2-0.

It stings like hell right now, but we'll all be back in a few months supporting the team like always and I'm sure we'll be glad to have Perry and Getzlaf on the roster in October.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
I'm sure our guys "wanted it" just as much as the Hawks. The whole "lack of leadership" narrative gets tired after a while. Even seeing some people say Getz should be stripped of the "C", he should be traded, he didn't look like he cared after the game, etc. I mean WOW, people really don't understand how good we have it with our team to spew **** like that.

Only one squad can win the Stanley Cup; does every other team that loses in the playoffs have a leadership problem? It is probably more because of the way in which we lose, but as more information comes out injuries played a part as well for both Getzlaf and Lindholm. I know it gets people even more pissed because of the game 7 chokejobs, but to think the guys on the ice didn't give it their 100% effort is really dumb and shortsighted.

It comes down to the fact that we didn't execute as well as they did plus having a bad bit of luck, just like it does in any other game. Chicago have elite talent up and down the ice, and they showed it over a seven game span. Their best players came through when they needed them most, and ours didn't. Crawford was good enough to get his team through to the finals, Andersen gradually played worse as the series went on. Keith crapped all over us and showed why he is a perennial Norris candidate, Beauchemin flopped and looked every bit of his near 35 years. We hit what 4? posts in that triple overtime game that could have ended it at any point and put us up 2-0.

It stings like hell right now, but we'll all be back in a few months supporting the team like always and I'm sure we'll be glad to have Perry and Getzlaf on the roster in October.

interesting points you made. and it does show that sometimes you'd rather be lucky than good, especially in these games.

i can remember myself screaming what luck chicago had in game 7 where every player had the puck bounce to them in the defensive zone and was able to pass it out with no effort. sure their positioning had something to do with it, but as luck would have it, there were no ducks within skating distance to cover. and just like that, it was an odd man rush.

the posts that were rang in game 2. true, a lucky bounce here or there, and we could have been up 2-0. same goes with game 4. with the ticky tack holding call against silf, if luck was on our side, they wouldnt have converted on the ensuing PP and they would have been finished.

but alas, sometimes the hockey gods and luck conspire against the Ducks. it can be argued that you make your own luck by being prepared, but come on, the gwg on game 2 was because the puck hit the butt of Andersen's stick and kruger was just sitting there uncovered for the easy rebound. an inch here or there and it would have been wide.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Lack of leadership is a lot more believable than lack of luck in six straight close out games including three game 7s at home.

"Wanting it" and working harder for it aren't the same thing.

mytduxfan*

Lack of leadership is a lot more believable than lack of luck in six straight close out games including three game 7s at home.

"Wanting it" and working harder for it aren't the same thing.

This. I disagree with those who put sole blame onto Getzlaf. Pretty much everyone was average at a time when we needed them to be good. I mean, where was Palms all playoffs, Silfverberg's production (particularly goals) dried up pretty quick, Kesler was far less effective in game 6 and 7, Bels wasn't doing much of anything, nor was Vatanen, and what the hell happened to Andersen? He got worse game-after-game until he was just any average GT.

IMO, there is only so much a captain can do. Getzlaf needed to be better on the ice, but I'm not blaming his poor performance for almost no one showing up when it counted, especially Andersen.

Anyway, CHI will regress next season. LA will hopefully be weaker too. Tbh, we'll probably be favourites in the West. IMO, next year is where our development says we really should win it all. If that doesn't happen, I say we won't be seeing another cup until Getzlaf and Perry are gone. We need our big guys to step up when it counts if we're going to win anything.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I can't believe nobody commented on this article by Stephens. I'm still picking myself up off the floor. He actually threw some blame out there and questioned the coaching. UFB :amazed:

Right now, Toews is the one setting the example. If he wants a Cup as the Ducks’ captain and leader, Getzlaf has to set a better one. A quiet Game 7 after a no-show Game 6 won’t cut it.

If the major pieces remain as anticipated, then do you dare make a change behind the bench? Who’s left to go get at this point?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ducks-663771-toews-game.html

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
A little off topic, and it's been talked about before... now it's a Sunbelt team with somewhat similar population trends as socal.

Pay attention Honda Center/Ducks... more and more teams are doing it. I know it won't ever completely solve the issue, but they need to do more for the big games. As I've said before, let them come during the regular season... playoffs need to be mostly our house.

"Lightning impose apparel, ticket restrictions on Blackhawks fans"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...fan-restrictions-spt-0603-20150602-story.html

Last edited:

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
A little off topic, and it's been talked about before... now it's a Sunbelt team with somewhat similar population trends as socal.

Pay attention Honda Center/Ducks... more and more teams are doing it. I know it won't ever completely solve the issue, but they need to do more for the big games. As I've said before, let them come during the regular season... playoffs need to be mostly our house.

"Lightning impose apparel, ticket restrictions on Blackhawks fans"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...fan-restrictions-spt-0603-20150602-story.html

I think it's sad when teams have to resort to that......

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I agree that its sad, but I'd rather be see/hear our fans more than the opposing team/s during the playoffs. I watch enough hockey to know that Honda Center is perhaps the most visitor "friendly" barn in the NHL.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't think it's sad at all, I endorse it. Sitting in an arena with a bunch of opposing fans sucks.

It won't change a damned thing at the Honda Center though. The majority of tickets are sold by Anaheim fans on the secondary market because the money is more important than the team.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
I don't think it's sad at all, I endorse it. Sitting in an arena with a bunch of opposing fans sucks.

It won't change a damned thing at the Honda Center though. The majority of tickets are sold by Anaheim fans on the secondary market because the money is more important than the team.

I'm convinced that at least 1/4 of the SSHs are just scalpers (or people who go to 5-10 games per season).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad