OPPF Draft 2021 - Draft Thread

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I believe it's after Sunday. Are we going to have a thread to discuss and then vote?
Since the Draft-Thread starter advised that we'd start voting on Sunday, I presumed that it would proceed like it did last year: i.e.: the Assassination Thread serves as the discussion thread. The fact that Voting has been declared open presumably marks the official end of add-drops (which means I can resume posting my "Now-and-Then" series to include teams that didn't have all their cards played this year).

I would have liked to have seen a more robust Assassination Thread this year- but if you haven't sent your Scouts out by now...
[There are worse things than not deploying Scouts, though. Not running a Training Camp, for instance.]

The one question left on-the-floor is: who'll collect the Votes?

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
What's up?
TDMM hasn't been on since the afternoon of November 8.
BenchBrawl's profile is set that I can't tell when he was last on (maybe he's using the 'mask-when-signed-in' option[?!])... but he hasn't posted since Friday, November 5(!)
The Beast hasn't posted since November 5, either(!!)

Not impossible that these participants are getting tolchocked by real-life concerns.

@Hawkey Town 18
@The Macho King
@tabness

We may have to find a way to soldier on without them...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
TDMM hasn't been on since the afternoon of November 8.
BenchBrawl's profile is set that I can't tell when he was last on (maybe he's using the 'mask-when-signed-in' option[?!])... but he hasn't posted since Friday, November 5(!)
The Beast hasn't posted since November 5, either(!!)

Not impossible that these participants are getting tolchocked by real-life concerns.

@Hawkey Town 18
@The Macho King
@tabness

We may have to find a way to soldier on without them...
I would rather we do it right than fast. Teams are complete so there isn't a ton of value lost by waiting at the moment.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Hi, I hurt my shoulder in a way that made typing just painful enough to where I didn't want to do it when I didn't have to.

I'll be around more this coming week.

@Habsfan18 are you able to tally regular season voting?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Hi, I hurt my shoulder in a way that made typing just painful enough to where I didn't want to do it when I didn't have to.

I'll be around more this coming week.

@Habsfan18 are you able to tally regular season voting?

I won’t be able to this time, sorry guys. Hopefully someone else is available to do it.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Drop the 1984 Canada Cup MVP and dynasty core player IN A BOTTOM-6 role for a lasidaisical player who makes Phil Kessel (undrafted - me bad) look like a hard worker.

That line doesn't cut it as a checking line anyway, so I went offense. Major upgrade in goals and on the PP and adds a one-timer to top unit. When Kovalchuk was finally given a chance on a good team in the playoffs, he dominated and got an average team to the finals before a shoulder injury limited his effectiveness in the finals.

I hve to replace Gare as well.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for tallying the votes @Theokritos !

What will the playoff format be? There was a lot of tough choices for me in regular season voting, plenty of potential for post season upsets if the right arguments/matchups come about.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Thanks for tallying the votes @Theokritos What will the playoff format be?
I'm only seeing one possibility that reasonably allows complete participation:

Play-In Round:
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

Quarterfinals
Winner of 7 vs 10 versus 1
4 versus 5

Winner of 8 vs 9 versus 2
3 versus 6

Semifinals
7/10 vs 1 winner versus 4 vs 5 winner
8/9 vs 2 winner versus 3 vs 6 winner

Final
Two remaining teams

The only other viable alternative is to go "Ming-the-Merciless" and chop the bottom two teams before setting the brackets. I don't know what the tallies were, but I'm thinking that the space between 8 & 9 (and perhaps even 10) in the balloting might be close enough that doing that would be a little harsh.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sorry to disappear, everyone.

The draft was really fun
I really love this format. Wish my team got more love.

Also... just a general point of where the "fun" is in these things for me. The draft is amazing. Assassinations are a lot of fun. The playoff format feels... I don't like it.

To make the NHL point, in this format the President's Trophy team wins the "Cup" 80+% of the time I'd imagine, and if they don't, the next strongest team likely does. It feels very rote and not very interesting. Real playoffs have an element of randomness to them, and that's missing. I'd almost either rather end it with the voting or do something more dynamic (vote total results in a percentage and we roll a 100 sided die to see who wins over 7 games or something).

Just some thoughts. Especially in something like OPPF - which isn't the flagship - I think we should try to spice up the parts of the event which are not terribly interesting.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I really love this format. Wish my team got more love.

Also... just a general point of where the "fun" is in these things for me. The draft is amazing. Assassinations are a lot of fun. The playoff format feels... I don't like it.

To make the NHL point, in this format the President's Trophy team wins the "Cup" 80+% of the time I'd imagine, and if they don't, the next strongest team likely does. It feels very rote and not very interesting. Real playoffs have an element of randomness to them, and that's missing. I'd almost either rather end it with the voting or do something more dynamic (vote total results in a percentage and we roll a 100 sided die to see who wins over 7 games or something).

Just some thoughts. Especially in something like OPPF - which isn't the flagship - I think we should try to spice up the parts of the event which are not terribly interesting.

I think this draft is one case where playoff could really have shaken things up.

I'll be honest - the top 5 or so teams were all great and all flawed in enough ways that they probably could have gone in any order

As for my team - I think I'm as worthy #1 in the regular season as any of those top teams, but in the playoffs, I'd certainly be worried about facing a team with a really strong 2nd line to go against my 2nd pairing.

----
Edit:. I get your point that the typical playoff format does become repetitive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad