OPPF Draft 2021 - Draft Thread

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
The Regina Pats are proud to select, from Floral, Saskatchewan, «Mr. Hockey», Gordie Howe.

upload_2021-10-4_16-45-55.png

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think this is second time I've picked this person in a OPPF draft

Dominik Hasek, G

3b5a49e51febf6489a064b1616686580.jpg

The Regina Pats are proud to select, from Floral, Saskatchewan, «Mr. Hockey», Gordie Howe.

View attachment 468103

I thought maybe this would finally be the year that the "Big 4" would go 1-4 in this particular draft. So close.

Though if I was taking a non Big-4 player over Orr or Howe in this format, it would definitely be Hasek.

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I thought maybe this would finally be the year that the "Big 4" would go 1-4 in this particular draft. So close.

Though if I was taking a non Big-4 player over Orr or Howe in this format, it would definitely be Hasek.

What can I say I'm a born again goalie truther

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'll pick the competitor who best fits in with the Team Name...

Hoping to H.T.F.U. and Thrive with Five:

Denis-Potvin-New-York-Islanders-Upcoming-Public-Signing-Toronto-Sport-Card-Expo.png

Denis Potvin- D- New York Islanders

@Dirt 101 is the best I can do, unless someone has a back-channel that they can PM me...

Obvious pick

Best D by far from weak franchises. I hoped he'd make it to me but knew it was impossible.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Laval selects the hardest defenseman Gretzky says he'd ever faced, the 5-time IIHF Best defenseman, 3-time Golden Stick winner, 1987 Canada Cup all-star, 1981 Canada Cup champion and longterm captain of the Soviet national team: Slava Fetisov!

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Laval selects the hardest defenseman Gretzky says he'd ever faced, the 5-time IIHF Best defenseman, 3-time Golden Stick winner, 1987 Canada Cup all-star, 1981 Canada Cup champion and longterm captain of the Soviet national team: Slava Fetisov!

Wow very surprising, I was sure you were going another way.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Looking at the previous draft of this type, maybe not the most strategic pick, but I wanted him in the Redux draft anyway

Bobby Hull who epitomizes cool like Crockett and Tubbs

iu

In terms of road even strength scoring, my pet stat of choice at the moment, Bobby Hull sees a more usual drop than the foundational players I have been targeting but still very good especially for his time (so Gordie Howe and some other notables of that time see larger drops in the sixties).

NHL Stats

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Looking at the previous draft of this type, maybe not the most strategic pick, but I wanted him in the Redux draft anyway

Bobby Hull who epitomizes cool like Crockett and Tubbs

In terms of road even strength scoring, my pet stat of choice at the moment, Bobby Hull sees a more usual drop than the foundational players I have been targeting but still very good especially for his time (so Gordie Howe and some other notables of that time see larger drops in the sixties).

NHL Stats
Big ol' Ooof.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm going to go with 2 players that aren't the best on the board, but will give me a lot of options and flexibility going forward...

Martin Brodeur, G (New Jersey)
cut.jpg

and

Mark Messier, C (Edmonton)
Messier.jpg

So much for me drafting Brodeur 3 years in a row!

It was definitely nice securing a good goalie without having to save an O6 pick for him. Makes Hasek and Brodeur especially valuable here IMO.

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

It was definitely nice securing a good goalie without having to save an O6 pick for him. Makes Hasek and Brodeur especially valuable here IMO.

As soon as I saw I was picking last, Brodeur was my primary target. His draft position keeps rising each year, and I think it's justified for the reasons you said.

As for the Messier pick, there were several ways I could've gone there. Ovechkin was one of them, but I had him last year and also started off with a goalie as my second pick, so I wanted to change it up. I'll hold off on commenting further until a few more picks are made.

@zffssk Crosby - Ovechkin on the same squad is pretty funny!

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

That's why unless I was super eager to get a big 4 member I would take Hasek ahead of Orr and Howe without blinking.

Howe has a tremendous advantage over Orr from a metagaming perspective as we're not even likely to draft another RW listed from Detroit. So if you want to build around RW and don't mind not tapping into the other positions you pickup from Detroit I can see it.

But Orr is a lot harder for me to personally justify when you look at their list of elligibles.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That's why unless I was super eager to get a big 4 member I would take Hasek ahead of Orr and Howe without blinking.

Howe has a tremendous advantage over Orr from a metagaming perspective as we're not even likely to draft another RW listed from Detroit. So if you want to build around RW and don't mind not tapping into the other positions you pickup from Detroit I can see it.

But Orr is a lot harder for me to personally justify when you look at their list of elligibles.

I'd still probably draft Orr #3, but that is the big debate in the OPPF draft

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Sorry for the wait partners, I will take Jaromir Jagr, another superweapon (and generally cool guy).

Jagr sees the typical (or maybe slightly more than typical) large drop you'd expect from high scoring forwards between home and road, but since he was such a lethal scorer in general and wasn't as surpressed as other star forwards of the time due to his build and team role (for the most part), he still leads the even strength road points category in his prime.

iu

NHL Stats

Will message @Dirt 101 but also tagging him here

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Jagr was the other guy I was considering when I took Messier, but passed for the same reason as Ovechkin...I went with wing-goalie to start off last year's draft and wanted to change it up.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Laval cannot pass up the opportunity to form a competitive advantage top pairing, so drafts 10-time 1st team all-star, 6-time champion defenseman Doug Harvey.

I wouldn't make this pick here in a vacuum, but to unite an impactful Rocket duo:

Fetisov - Harvey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA