GDT: Opening Night: Carolina vs Minnesota, 7pm

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Lindholm looked solid I thought but man he needs to work on his shot, either in terms of mechanics or just where he chooses to shoot. Missing wide on the far side like he did in the third period leads to the puknrimming around out of the zone and a chance the other way. Not saying no one should ever try that just that it seems he goes there pretty regularly and it's not working out great

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
How did Kuokkanen look?

Like an NHLer. Anyone with eyes and half a brain can see that he is gonna be a good hockeyman in this league.

Lindholm looked solid I thought but man he needs to work on his shot, either in terms of mechanics or just where he chooses to shoot. Missing wide on the far side like he did in the third period leads to the puknrimming around out of the zone and a chance the other way. Not saying no one should ever try that just that it seems he goes there pretty regularly and it's not working out great

I ranted a lot last season about his shot. The wide misses are his signature. It is frustrating to see a player who has literally everything else going for them, except that and it's a big that. He improved some towards the middle/end of last season though so I hope that translates into this season.

Last edited:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
He doesn't miss the net that often. He shoots high stickside and hits the goalies shoulder or the knob of the goalstick and Forslund gets the call wrong constantly. It's so stupid that this has become a thing because people apparently can't watch replays.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If Lindholm stays playing with Aho a full season, he's going to get his scoring chances so he better be able to cash in. Still, if he can get 15G and 40 assists, that would be huge for this team.

His overall game is so much better than it was 2 years ago and like Kev said, the fact that he's got as many points in this 1 game this year than he's had, I think in his last 2 October's combined, maybe we are in for a much better season from him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No doubt about it, Hanifin was disappointing last night, at least in the 1st 1/2 of the game. Even on a couple of plays they didn't score on, like the save on Eriksson-Ek, he was out of position. He just looks like he fell asleep or misjudged Stewart's speed on the breakaway. That Staal break-away I put more on TVR than I do Hanifin though. Not sure what he was thinking when 3 forwards were caught deep, the Wild with the puck and numbers. Hanifin could have played it better, but I can't imagine any defenseman is thinking TVR is going to rush forward at the puck in that situation. I thought Hanifin was much better the 2nd half.

Pesce, struggled until they changed the pairings as well. That 1st goal was all on him as he got out-muscled on the board and then was lazy getting back into the play. Once he saw Zucker was by him and going to be wide open, Pesce skated hard to catch him, but it was too late.

That last play in regulation was about as poorly officiated as you can get. Yeah, I get that they swallow the whistle, but how on earth is the crosschecking, tackling and mugging that Staal gave to Kruger not a penalty? And how is what Dumba did not considered goaltender interference. Oh well, in the end it doesn't matter since the loser point went to a team in the West.

Sloppy and not well executed game, but that's not too unexpected given it's their 1st game. A bit of a character builder though and hopefully they can take out of this confidence in that they know they can come back from adversity and win.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oh, one other thing. I also thought Darling didn't play that Staal goal very well, probably the only one where I'd say he has some fault. He was really deep in the net and this board would have crucified Ward if he had done the same. Gave Eric a LOT of net to shoot at.

Darling is going to HAVE to expect more high quality scoring chances on the Canes. Peter's likes his defensemen to keep a tight gap in the neutral zone which does limit overall scoring chances for the other team and does allow the Canes to generate more chances, but with tight gaps like that, it can lead to more break-aways or odd man rushes when even the simplest of mistakes occurs.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks that Lindholm could eventually be the best player on this team? he's big, strong, great release, and is a great passer. solid at the dot and above average defensively. Thoughts??

I saw him out there bulldogging people last night. Pushing them around and using his body every chance he got.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Man this team plays good entertaining hockey. Other than Skinner being bad I thought everyone was playing pretty well. And Kuokkanen absolutely looks like an NHLer, something I didn't expect to see this season. A very smart player like Aho who noticed in the 3rd that it's not preseason anymore and started to play.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Agreed, I'd love to see him shoot near side sometimes or go five hole.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
RE Hanifin. I think he just wasn't mentally up to speed early in the game he got caught out of position and flat footed a lot and he wasn't even pinching at the time.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Based on this game I'd like to see Hanifin with Faulk next game and the following lines:

Aho - Rask - Lindholm
Teräväinen - Staal - Kuokkanen
Skinner - Ryan - Williams

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Based on this game I'd like to see Hanifin with Faulk next game and the following lines:

Aho - Rask - Lindholm
Teräväinen - Staal - Kuokkanen
Skinner - Ryan - Williams

I don't think Peter's would put Kuokkanen (or Necas) on a line that would be facing tougher match-ups like that. Along with Kruger's line, Jordan's line will be facing the toughest match-ups and I wouldn't want to see Kuokkanen put into that situation right now.

Maybe for part of a game it will work, but I can't see that working long term, especially against a team like Columbus which is very deep.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The thing that bugged me about the breakaway goal is that you have to know he's going low stick side. That's how he's scored probably 80% of his goals of that variety his entire career. This is not a guy who's going to come in and deke, he's gonna wind up from 20 feet out and try to rip it. Get out there and cut down the angle.

Otherwise I thought Darling was pretty solid. He kept our tails in the game at 3-1 at a couple spots where it could've easily become 4-1 and that would've been the game had that happened.

Too many defensive lapses overall but considering the long layoff I get it. But Hanifin needs to get his crap together. It's eye-opening watching Fleury come in and look like a brick wall the first 20 minutes of his NHL career and Hanifin's still getting lost in space. He's either overthinking or he has no hockey sense whatsoever.

Speaking of Fleury, I'm having a hard time even thinking of him as a rookie at this point. He looks fantastic. I'm sure some of that is matchups being on the third pair, but still. If he has a Slavin/Pesce-like rookie season I won't be shocked at all.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The thing that bugged me about the breakaway goal is that you have to know he's going low stick side. That's how he's scored probably 80% of his goals of that variety his entire career. This is not a guy who's going to come in and deke, he's gonna wind up from 20 feet out and try to rip it. Get out there and cut down the angle.

Otherwise I thought Darling was pretty solid. He kept our tails in the game at 3-1 at a couple spots where it could've easily become 4-1 and that would've been the game had that happened.

Too many defensive lapses overall but considering the long layoff I get it. But Hanifin needs to get his crap together. It's eye-opening watching Fleury come in and look like a brick wall the first 20 minutes of his NHL career and Hanifin's still getting lost in space. He's either overthinking or he has no hockey sense whatsoever.

Speaking of Fleury, I'm having a hard time even thinking of him as a rookie at this point. He looks fantastic. I'm sure some of that is matchups being on the third pair, but still. If he has a Slavin/Pesce-like rookie season I won't be shocked at all.

I think Fleury will be another development success story. RF & Co. obviously have a recipe for success.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I too found myself wondering how a Teravainen / Staal / Kuokkanen line would fare last night. Teravainen and Kuokkanen seem like an interesting fit as wingers, but they would need someone like Staal to draw a lot of attention in front of the net, throw his weight around a little bit. I really like how Kuokkanen manages zone entries, and he has excellent vision for passing. we know that Teravainen is very skilled, has a decent shot, and is great at handling hot passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad