GDT: Opening Night: Carolina vs Minnesota, 7pm

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The word on the broadcast was that Darling was underrrated around the league as a puckhandler because the Blackhawks' system basically forbids the goalie from handling the puck. Our coaching staff has had to beg Darling to play the puck because of the way he's been conditioned, but they knew he was good at it.

That's some quality spin right there. He looked plenty competent though so it might actuslly be true. I know several Blackhawks fans claimed he was brutal as well. Fake news could be coming from either side so who knows? Obviously as the year plays out we will see.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I thought Darling looked pretty good in that regard too. He moves well when he gets up on his feet and he made a couple nice plays with the puck on his stick in addition to the routine ones. There was one spot, I think on a PK, where it had to be really tempting to clear it toward the corner of the d-zone, but it would've required some lift. He did the safe, smart thing and wrapped it around the boards. Another spot where he set it for a d-man behind the net then made a little kind of fake-out movement to shield off a forechecker, giving the d-man an extra half second to grab it and get moving without being hassled. It was a small thing, but struck me as being particularly smart and instinctive - but also maybe when you're 6-6 and 240 pounds you're not too afraid to step in front of somebody in that situation.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
The word on the broadcast was that Darling was underrrated around the league as a puckhandler because the Blackhawks' system basically forbids the goalie from handling the puck. Our coaching staff has had to beg Darling to play the puck because of the way he's been conditioned, but they knew he was good at it.

That's some quality spin right there. He looked plenty competent though so it might actuslly be true. I know several Blackhawks fans claimed he was brutal as well. Fake news could be coming from either side so who knows? Obviously as the year plays out we will see.

Interesting, so I'm not a complete idiot. I didn't think he was brutal in Chicago, he just looked indecisive, which makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad