OOT Scoreboard 2021-22 Stanley Cup playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lightning in 7
Carolina in 6
Minnesota in 6
Oilers in 6
The stage is really set for this to FINALLY be the year Toronto wins a series and if it's the Lightning they beat, the HYPE will be major. Just because it's the Lightning they're going up against, it almost seems like they might win this series, like some kind of destiny. That beating the back to back cup champion will be when they finally win a series.

It feels like Toronto might win this series, but can I really pick them? I'm not so sure. I don't think I can.

The Oilers SHOULD beat LA, like they really should. But their goalies? Mike Smith is a .950% bender over like the last 10 games and that seems to really be due to end any time now.

Can Edmonton really lose to a team coached by LOSER Todd MacLellan, that isn't stacked like most of his Sharks teams were? I don't think they WILL, but that doesn't mean I don't think they CAN.

Minnesota and St. Louis is about as even of a matchup as I can think of, because both teams have real goalie controversy potential. I would like to pick Minnesota here.

Carolina definitely in their series over Boston.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The stage is really set for this to FINALLY be the year Toronto wins a series and if it's the Lightning they beat, the HYPE will be major. Just because it's the Lightning they're going up against, it almost seems like they might win this series, like some kind of destiny. That beating the back to back cup champion will be when they finally win a series.

It feels like Toronto might win this series, but can I really pick them? I'm not so sure. I don't think I can.

The Oilers SHOULD beat LA, like they really should. But their goalies? Mike Smith is a .950% bender over like the last 10 games and that seems to really be due to end any time now.

Can Edmonton really lose to a team coached by LOSER Todd MacLellan, that isn't stacked like most of his Sharks teams were? I don't think they WILL, but that doesn't mean I don't think they CAN.

Minnesota and St. Louis is about as even of a matchup as I can think of, because both teams have real goalie controversy potential. I would like to pick Minnesota here.

Carolina definitely in their series over Boston.
Tampa and Toronto for me is both sides of … I will believe it when I see it. Meaning, Tampa is the 2 time defending Champ and while they haven’t been as dominate as prior seasons I still think they can turn it on and go on another long run. Toronto just the opposite in that despite the great regular season, they need to prove they can do it in the playoffs.

Some of these 1st round matchups will be dynamite due to the crazy playoff scheduling!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Carolina in 7 - Boston beat them the last two recent times they've played in the playoffs, but I really think Carolina should be able to win this. There might be a scare (which is why I went with them in 7), but I think they'll pull this one out.

Tampa Bay in 6 - Matthews and them are eventually gonna win a series. They're just going to. And it could very well be this one. They're due. But I can't bring myself to pick the Leafs to win a series at this point until they actually do. I picked them to beat Montreal last year and couldn't believe it. I wanna pick Toronto to upset, but my heart just won't allow it. If Toronto didn't disappoint so much, I'd pick them to win this series.

Minnesota in 7 - This one could really go either way.

LA in 6 - I think I could see Edmonton losing this series, but it's f***ing LOSER Todd McLellan behind the bench for LA. Hard to see him winning a series without a stacked roster like he had in San Jose or with McDavid like that one time in Edmonton. For f***s sake, if the only series win McDavid has as of the end of this Spring came with Todd McLOSER behind the bench, that would be pretty pathetic. This series has PATHETIC UPSET written all over it for Edmonton. It will also be cringy but funny to see Edmonton fans (and media) wonder if Todd McLellan should have ever even been fired in the first place? Edmonton has been much more disappointing (IMO) than Toronto in the playoffs, because they can't even get into the playoffs some year and then they lose the play-in round to CHICAGO of all f***ing teams 2 years ago. They get swept last year by Winnipeg, who turned around and got swept themselves in the next round. And I think it's too early to say either way about Jay Woodcroft being good or not, but the only thing that could potentially be worse than LOSER Todd is being LOSER Todd's protege, which is exactly what Jay Woodcroft is. The two were together for YEARS before Jay got promoted to AHL head coach in Edmonton. They go back to Detroit and San Jose together. That'll be an interesting storyline.

Rangers in 6 - Jarry or not, I just don't think Pittsburgh is getting out of this one alive. They COULD, I mean I COULD see them winning. It wouldn't be the biggest shocker of the playoffs, but I don't think they will.

Florida in 5 - Washington goalies (particularly Samsonov, who I bet starts game 1) are an embarrassment. For Florida to lose this series it would almost be up there with Tampa's loss to Columbus in 2019.

Colorado in 5 - It would be too easy to predict this to be a sweep, so I'm taking it to 5. For Colorado to lose this series (with no Saros for Nashville, no less) would be a bigger bust than Tampa losing to Columbus in 2019.

Calgary in 4 - BAD lame duck assistant coach that's a head coach in Dallas. I actually think Colorado is a better matchup for Dallas than Calgary. I'm flip-flopping on if I think this will be Calgary in 4 or 5. I could see Wedgewood getting the only win for Dallas and then having to hear about how Scott Wedgewood, a goalie we threw in the garbage for nothing had as many playoff wins this year as the Devils organization has had in the last 10 years.

Think Boston or Toronto could pull off the upset. And it would only be an upset for Toronto because they haven't won a round with their current team, not even the play-in round in the 2020 bubble playoffs. And because Tampa Bay has won back to back cups, that would almost add to it being even more of an upset if Toronto wins. I don't see Tampa threepeating or even coming out of the East, I just don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dialamo

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Boston, Pittsburgh (this is more a hope pick than a brain pick), Florida, Tampa in the East.

Colorado, St. Louis, Calgary, LA in the west.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boston, Pittsburgh (this is more a hope pick than a brain pick), Florida, Tampa in the East.

Colorado, St. Louis, Calgary, LA in the west.
Edmonton reeks of a disappointing first round exit, but against LA this year? If they didn't have the shit bad head coach they do in LA, I would think this definitely an Edmonton first round exit waiting to happen.

And with THOSE goalies? Mike Smith's .950% is really fixing to end soon enough.

Like I really wanna go back and change my prediction to LA now.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Edmonton reeks of a disappointing first round exit, but against LA this year? If they didn't have the shit bad head coach they do in LA, I would think this definitely an Edmonton first round exit waiting to happen.

And with THOSE goalies? Mike Smith's .950% is really fixing to end soon enough.

Like I really wanna go back and change my prediction to LA now.
There needs to be at least one absolutely hilarious upset each year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There needs to be at least one absolutely hilarious upset each year.
You've sold me.

I'm picking LA to win this series and that does have hilarious upset potential.

I wouldn't really consider Toronto over Tampa a hilarious upset. The only hilarious ones would probably Washington and Nashville. Even Dallas over Calgary wouldn't be hilarious, just because Dallas was in the SCF 2 years ago and Calgary hasn't really even won a round (did they in 2020? I forget?) in quite some time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Kings facing Darryl Sutter in round two almost feels like destiny or something that has to happen, so yeah LA is winning that series.

They SHOULDN'T win this series, but who really trusts Edmonton? I can't remember if I picked them to beat Winnipeg or not last year, but I definitely picked them to beat Chicago in the play-in round in 2020.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You've sold me.

I'm picking LA to win this series and that does have hilarious upset potential.

I wouldn't really consider Toronto over Tampa a hilarious upset. The only hilarious ones would probably Washington and Nashville. Even Dallas over Calgary wouldn't be hilarious, just because Dallas was in the SCF 2 years ago and Calgary hasn't really even won a round (did they in 2020? I forget?) in quite some time.
Toronto over Tampa technically isn’t an upset. Toronto is the higher seed. (Likewise Tampa winning isn’t that funny, it is just a good team beating another).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Toronto over Tampa technically isn’t an upset. Toronto is the higher seed. (Likewise Tampa winning isn’t that funny, it is just a good team beating another).
Yeah, they have the best player in the league (At least he was this year) and they're due for a series win.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah, they have the best player in the league (At least he was this year) and they're due for a series win.
I still have Tampa winning (in like 6 or 7), because I think they get a little dirty to turn it into a PP series which basically makes it Vas vs. Campbell.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I don't really have a bandwagon team this year. I'm just hoping for good series, and for the Rangers to lose as quickly and humiliatingly as possible.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
My terrible low effort guesses, I mean picks.

Bruins vs Hurricanes:
Wow, this is basically two very talented teams that finish less than a 100 year old man after he swallowed a bottle of anti-depressants. At the same time with Anderson out I’m not sure I like any of their goalies much at all.

Boston, has a masterful team defense that locks downs the neutral ice so teams can’t get anywhere but, surprise!, Carolina doesn’t care since they dump and chase.

Pick: Hurricanes, but they actually have to score some goals here somehow. (Just more than Boston luckily for them.)

Leafs vs Lightning:
Even if it would be fun for Toronto to shock the world here it’s tough not imagining Tampa eating Campbell alive as they run circles around them in their own zone.

The Leafs depth took a bit hit with Bunting being out, which says a lot about both his amazing season & their lack of depth.

Pick: Leafs, because why the hell not. They made an effort to get all more playoff-y & I want to see the world burn.

Blues vs Wild:
Here’s the complete opposite to Canes/Bruins, a series with two of the puck luckiest teams in the NHL. Pew! Pew!

Eh, I just don’t like the combination of questionable goaltending and terrible PK in the playoffs against a top power play so I’m picking an upset here.

Pick: Blues, though, yes, again, these are terrible picks and this one is particularly iffy.

Oilers vs Kings:
If the Oilers can’t beat this dumb team they should die of shame at some point. It’s of course entirely possible because they too are dumb team with bad 5v5 defense and scoring that can go shockingly cold.

I can’t pick the Kings, yuck. They can’t score at all. Even the terrible Oilers’ goalies should survive a team this bad at scoring goals.

Pick: Oilers, though god knows they don’t deserve it and are perennially a terrible pick.

I’m only posting these today because there’s some nice synergy here as there’s a real chance all of them are wrong.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Bruins vs Hurricanes:
Wow, this is basically two very talented teams that finish less than a 100 year old man after he swallowed a bottle of anti-depressants. At the same time with Anderson out I’m not sure I like any of their goalies much at all.

Boston, has a masterful team defense that locks downs the neutral ice so teams can’t get anywhere but, surprise!, Carolina, doesn’t care since they dump and chase.

Pick: Hurricanes, but they actually have to score some goals here somehow. (Just more than Boston luckily for them.)

Leafs vs Lightning:
Even if it would be fun for Toronto to shock the world here it’s tough not imagining Tampa eating Campbell alive as they run circles around them in their own zone.

The Leafs depth took a bit hit with Bunting being out, which says a lot about both his amazing season & their lack of depth.

Pick: Leafs, because why the hell not. They made an effort to get all more playoff-y & I want to see the world burn.

Blues vs Wild:
Here’s the complete opposite to Canes/Bruins, a series with two of the puck luckiest teams in the NHL. Pew! Pew!

Eh, I just don’t like the combination of questionable goaltending and terrible PK in the playoffs against a top power play so I’m picking an upset here.

Pick: Blues, though, yes, again, these are terrible picks and this one is particularly iffy.

Oilers vs Kings:
If the Oilers can’t beat this dumb team they should die of shame at some point. It’s of course entirely possible because as they too are dumb team with bad 5v5 defense and scoring that can go shockingly cold.

I can’t pick the Kings, yuck. They can’t score at all. Even the terrible Oilers’ goalies should survive a team this bad at scoring goals.

Pick: Oilers, though god knows they don’t deserve it and are perennially a terrible pick.

I’m only posting these because there’s some nice synergy here as there’s a real chance all of them are wrong.
props for your most creative non-family friendly metaphor yet. You have a future as a stand up comedian if nothing else.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh man, Andersen isn’t playing tonight? Shit, this could be a long series and possibly a Bruins victory if he don’t get back.

I’m not a fan of Raanta. He gives up a lot of weak goals and he’s a safe bet to be on the shelf.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Bruins vs Hurricanes:

Boston, has a masterful team defense that locks downs the neutral ice so teams can’t get anywhere but, surprise!, Carolina, doesn’t care since they dump and chase.

Leafs vs Lightning:

Blues vs Wild:

Oilers vs Kings:
If the Oilers can’t beat this dumb team they should die of shame at some point. It’s of course entirely possible because as they too are dumb team with bad 5v5 defense and scoring that can go shockingly cold.

I’m only posting these because there’s some nice synergy here as there’s a real chance all of them are wrong.
I really don’t want to pick the Kings to win this series, not with that jackass behind the bench. But I don’t think it’s outlandish to expect the protege of said jackass coach to be an even bigger jackass of a coach.

And he’s almost definitely gonna win the Jackass Adams award if it’s not Gallant. I’d have to assume the three finalists will be him, Gallant and Andrew Brunette. Brunette took over the Panthers after I think it was 7 games and they still won more games with him than all but maybe a couple other teams won the entire season.

Although I’m sure all the “John Hynes isn’t a great coach blah blah blah” people are gonna be upset when Hynes isn’t a finalist. And why would he be? They were expected to be in the playoffs or close enough to them by most people and they barely made it in with the last wild card spot. The Kings and Rangers weren’t expected to do shit.

Sorry to disappoint the cult of Hynes (not the poster of the same name) but you got a better chance of Scott Wedgewood winning a playoff game this year than Hynes getting named a Jackass Adams finalist.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I really don’t want to pick the Kings to win this series, not with that jackass behind the bench. But I don’t think it’s outlandish to expect the protege of said jackass coach to be an even bigger jackass of a coach.

And he’s almost definitely gonna win the Jackass Adams award if it’s not Gallant. I’d have to assume the three finalists will be him, Gallant and Andrew Brunette. Brunette took over the Panthers after I think it was 7 games and they still won more games with him than all but maybe a couple other teams won the entire season.

Although I’m sure all the “John Hynes isn’t a great coach blah blah blah” people are gonna be upset when Hynes isn’t a finalist. And why would he be? They were expected to be in the playoffs or close enough to them by most people and they barely made it in with the last wild card spot. The Kings and Rangers weren’t expected to do shit.

Sorry to disappoint the cult of Hynes (not the poster of the same name) but you got a better chance of Scott Wedgewood winning a playoff game this year than Hynes getting named a Jackass Adams finalist.
The award for the biggest jackass assistant to leave his jackass coach's staff and be an even bigger jackass should be named after Eric Mangini.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I don’t think there’s a cult of Hynes anywhere and I don’t know how many say “great” about him.

Personally I’m just weirded out that people are angry at the guy still. Even if you thought he was a bad coach he wasn’t going to fire himself.

He seems like an ok coach. The general view of him around the league is he’s that he’s a good coach. The Preds had fallen apart under Laviolette, who can be successful but is also a toxic weirdo. I have no desire to dig deeper than that, so I don’t have a in-depth take on the guy. Our team under him was first hindered by a lack of talent and then by goalie catastrophes. I think he just lost the team in 2019-20.

The Adams? Sullivan was an early favorite for a nomination but the age of the roster plus the goalie issues caught up with the Pens and he faded too.

Rod Brind’Amour might get a nom but he just one it last year. Sutter, Brunette, Gallant and Bednar have been mentioned. Gallant won it in 2017-18.

Brian Sutter won it 1990-91 but that’s the only Sutter who has so I’m guessing Darryl wins it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino