Ontario Reign 2017/2018

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
LaKingsInsider.com posted;

Practice Notes: Luff Downloads Development Days and Reign Prepare for San Jose

Joey Zakrzewski November 15, 2017
Ontario Reign
The Ontario Reign wrapped up their two-day series of development time with the LA Kings staff at Ontario Center Ice Arena today and continued preparations for this weekend’s contests against the San Jose Barracuda at SAP Center on Saturday (1:15) and Sunday (3:00) afternoon.
LA’s Sean O’Donnell and Nelson Emerson worked extensively with the defensemen while Mike Donnelly, Glen Murray and Jarret Stoll ran drills and instruction with the forwards.
After the skate, Head Coach Mike Stothers took the ice for a quick 20-30 minute X’s & O’s session and special teams review.
How They Dressed:
Green – Devane, Iverson, Watson
Purple – Mersch, Hensick, Brodzinski
Grey – Auger, Maillet, Imama
White – Sutter, Luff, Herr
Red – Wagner
White (G) – Zatkoff, Petersen, Campbell
Black – Falkovsky, LaDue, Leslie, Gravel, Lintuniemi, Roy, Walker
Quick skating/flow drills led to extensive power play and penalty kill review with participating units moving into yellow practice jerseys. Following a quick conditioning skate, defenseman Sean Walker led the Reign in the post-practice stretch.
After practice, we caught up with rookie forward Matt Luff on the impact of instructional days and balancing development with in-season preparation.
ORI: You’ve been in camps and practices with the Kings’ Development crew for quite some time, but now you’re juggling in-season professional prep and experiences and development. How valuable are these days to reset and refresh?
Forward Matt Luff: Pretty valuable. They are guys that watch your games and watch your shifts. They break it all down for you and bring stuff you can use for a game and practice. You take it all in and take them for every second you got and ask as many questions as possible.
ORI: As a kid, your parents tell you to not touch the oven burner when it’s hot, but you don’t understand so you touch and learn from experience. What has been a detail the development crew taught you in your junior hockey experiences that you may not have fully understood until you experienced it at the professional level?
Luff: They are big on the “rubber man” and separating from the wall and the defender with the puck. In juniors, you can get away with getting pushed up and squeaking to the sides, but being strong on the wall and popping out opens lanes. That’s a big one, especially playing against older and stronger guys. That’s something I took notice of this year so far.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Stuts has done a great job getting these guys to mesh and play better. Points in 5 straight games now, albeit against not great teams. Except for the Reign goaltending which is very solid, this team is likely not a playoff team. It's funny how San Diego and San Jose, along with the Reign have been depleted by doing their job, developing players to play in the NHL. They are at the bottom of the barrel this year after being at the top of the barrel last year.

I am predicting we will make the playoffs this season...... I am also wearing homer glasses (lol)...
We are playing better, like you pointed out points in 5 games straight. At the Rookie mixer last night the Reign spotlighted their 10 first year pros (which included Austin Wagner). We have some really good talent and their chemistry is only getting better.
Apparently my glass is half full.....:nod:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I am predicting we will make the playoffs this season...... I am also wearing homer glasses (lol)...

It's certainly not out of the question, and a lot will depend on who sticks with the Kings (if anyone) and who comes back down. Amadio will be a key to the Reign season since they have no one remotely close to replace him for center depth in the top two with Hensick. Whether or not Wagner goes back to juniors when he is healthy is another issue. Texas, San Antonio and Tuscon seem to be greatly improved this year. A lot will have to go right for the Reign to make it, and their best asset is goaltending, which can go a long way.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
LA Kings Insider wrote;

November 16 notes: Brodzinski up, Amadio down,

Jon Rosen November 16, 2017

-Meanwhile, Los Angeles made a roster move this morning, recalling right wing Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario and assigning center Michael Amadio to the AHL club. This is a move based on personnel structure and the need for a winger at this juncture, as opposed to a center. Amadio had skated in recent games as a fourth line wing, which isn’t really how he projects. He’ll return to the Reign and continue to be relied upon heavily down the middle of the ice.
“We really liked what he had done in training camp,” Stevens said of Brodzinski. “Thought it was good that he got down and playing, and playing lots again. Michael was here for a period of time. We really liked some of the things he did, but I think his natural position is center, and I think he’s going to be more of a top-nine forward-type of center. I think we had asked him maybe to fulfill a role here just because we liked what he was bringing to our team. Nothing more than just getting Michael back playing lots, getting Jonny up here, who’s more of a natural right winger. Jonny had played well down there. Usually guys go down, they really get some confidence in their game. He’s got a good reference point having been here before, and every time they come back, they’re better players, so we would expect the same from Jonny.”
Brodzinski had four goals and nine points in Ontario after being assigned earlier this season. A 2012 fifth round pick, he has two assists and a plus-two rating in nine career NHL games. Amadio registered one goal in eight games with the club and will rejoin a Reign squad with a 4-6-0-1 record but has points in five straight games.
-Andrew Crescenzi realized a lifelong dream when he took a call from Rob Blake after Ontario’s practice on Monday. After 251 AHL games – and 23 ECHL games with the now defunct San Francisco Bulls – he’d make his NHL debut as a 25-year-old centering Brooks Laich and Michael Amadio.
“It’s unbelievable getting that call,” he said. “A lot of emotions, obviously. But it was nice to get that first one out of the way, and nice that I got my parents out there so I could share that with them.”
The team is high on Crescenzi’s detail-oriented play. He’s not a burner, and he’s not a high-skill guy, but his hockey intelligence, checking and ability to kill penalties and take important defensive zone draws continued to make the coaching staffs in Los Angeles and Ontario take notice.
“I’ve had a coach the last couple years in Mike Stothers down there that’s really put me into an opportunity and told me to play to my strengths, so I’ve really worked on that part of the game,” he said. “It translates well up here, and if that’s what they need, that’s what I’m going to do.”
He didn’t register a shot in 7:06 of ice time and was in the penalty box when Vancouver scored the game-winning goal on the power play, but he won five of eight faceoffs, including three of four in the defensive zone. With a player like Adrian Kempe who has grasped an important two-way role alongside Tanner Pearson and Tyler Toffoli but is not a natural center and is working to improve his faceoff rate, there will be the potential that Crescenzi gets in carves out a faceoff niche with the team.
“Fourth line center is energy, faceoffs, killing penalties, forechecking,” he said. “Obviously, if you can chip in offensively, that’s great, but just focus on the little things like that.”

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Was at the Reign game up here in San Jose and the Reign won 4-1. I'd say the Reign were the better team overall throughout the game, but it seemed like they would commit one too many players forward in the offensive zone and the Barracuda would counter attack with a 3 on 2 rush the other way once they cleared the puck out of the zone.

Talking about players in particular I don't have much to say about those who matter. Mersch did what he does best and got a deflection in right in front of the net. From where my seat was I could tell that Groesnick had no chance on the initial shot. Luff got another deflection in front to get his second of the year and later got his 3rd of the year on a 2 on 1 rush and beat Groesnick short side. The 4th goal was an empty net goal by Crescenzi who joined back with the team in San Jose.

And the defensive side both Gravel and Ladue looked pretty good. Ladue got caught leaving the zone too soon after clearing the puck, forwards turn the puck over along the boards and a 2 on 1 against Gravel went the other way. Cal Pertersen started today after Campbell started last night. Petersen had a strong game and made some nice reactionary saves. If I have to critique him, he was struggling with his rebound control on multiple opportunities which created second chance efforts. But for the most part he was very good.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Was at the Reign game up here in San Jose and the Reign won 4-1. I'd say the Reign were the better team overall throughout the game, but it seemed like they would commit one too many players forward in the offensive zone and the Barracuda would counter attack with a 3 on 2 rush the other way once they cleared the puck out of the zone.

Talking about players in particular I don't have much to say about those who matter. Mersch did what he does best and got a deflection in right in front of the net. From where my seat was I could tell that Groesnick had no chance on the initial shot. Luff got another deflection in front to get his second of the year and later got his 3rd of the year on a 2 on 1 rush and beat Groesnick short side. The 4th goal was an empty net goal by Crescenzi who joined back with the team in San Jose.

And the defensive side both Gravel and Ladue looked pretty good. Ladue got caught leaving the zone too soon after clearing the puck, forwards turn the puck over along the boards and a 2 on 1 against Gravel went the other way. Cal Pertersen started today after Campbell started last night. Petersen had a strong game and made some nice reactionary saves. If I have to critique him, he was struggling with his rebound control on multiple opportunities which created second chance efforts. But for the most part he was very good.

Thanks for the report. I watched the game on-line. Judging from the video it looks like you pretty much could have sat anywhere you wanted. What were there, 500 people? I think the push forward was a result of not scoring this season. They are dead last (by a wide margin) in scoring, and were shut out the day before. They have to try something and rely on goaltending and reads to bail them out. There is just not enough forward talent, and AHLers Hensick and Sutter are really having down years so far which does not help.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Thanks for the report. I watched the game on-line. Judging from the video it looks like you pretty much could have sat anywhere you wanted. What were there, 500 people? I think the push forward was a result of not scoring this season. They are dead last (by a wide margin) in scoring, and were shut out the day before. They have to try something and rely on goaltending and reads to bail them out. There is just not enough forward talent, and AHLers Hensick and Sutter are really having down years so far which does not help.

Well in theory I could've because I get free tickets to Barracuda games, but yeah there were hardly any people there. I've been to about 8 or 9 reign vs Barracuda games before and this was probably the least attended out of all of them I've been to. And that makes about trying to create more offense because they were very aggressive right from the opening faceoff and it looks to have finally paid off.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I noticed that Peterson's GAA is 1.62, while Campbell's is 2.60 ..... Is Peterson really that much better than Campbell, or is it far too early to tell? Thanks!!!

Stats - Player Statistics :: Ontario Reign

The numbers are a bit misleading in some respects, since Campbell was playing more early on when the team was a complete train wreck (0-6). It would be fair to say Petersen has been better, but not by as much as the numbers suggest. Both have let in a few they would like back, the Petersen has been quieter in his net, and that's a good thing. Both goalies are strong down low, Campbell tends to move a bit more (Quick like) which can cause him some grief. It's early, but Petersen looks like he could be the real deal.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Spencer's problem is he has done nothing well, below average is just about everything. This isn't JR's anymore Spencer didn't get the memo it seems.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post game Report (ONT Reign style). After starting the season with 10 rookies and going 0-6, completely opposite of their parent club, the Ontario Reign have gone 7-1-1 in their last nine games to reach the .500 mark for first time this season, climbing from 8th to 5th in the Pacific Division. Blue chip prospect Cal Petersen led the way this evening posting his 2nd shutout of the season and his 4th consecutive victory. With the shutout, Petersen leads the AHL with a 1.37 GAA and .947 SV%.

Stephen Falkovsky scored his first AHL goal to open the scoring in the 3rd period, with goals by veteran Brett Sutter and Justin Auger (his first of the season) sealing the 3-0 victory. Mike Futa and Sean O'Donnell were in attendance, likely watching the progress of Paul LaDue, Kevin Gravel and possibly Michael Mersch, who has regained some swagger after an off season that was riddled with injury last year. Boko Imama did not dress. Spencer Watson was demoted to the ECHL, and hard hitting defensemen Jonathan Racine was recalled from Manchester. Racine's recall was made necessary since Matt Roy has been scratched for several games due to injury. He was seen today in the elevator sporting a brace on his wrist. Racine was with the Reign in the preseason.

If Laich reports (I suspect he will, he has been assigned to the Reign), this could mean a demotion for another forward. Imama was scratched last night, and Ward (after his call up) has looked really good, so I wouldn't be shocked if Imama was sent down to work on his fundamentals, which are a work in progress.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Practice Notes: Reign Focus on Details; Look to Continue Winning Ways This Weekend
Joey Zakrzewski November 29, 2017

Ontario Reign Insider wrote;

With points in nine of their last 10 contests and currently riding a four-game winning streak, the Ontario Reign returned to practice this week to focus on the smaller details of their game.

One major focus has been the special teams. The power play currently sits 29th in the AHL at 12.1 percent (7-for-58) and currently has only one man-advantage marker on home ice (4.5 percent, 1-for-22). Today’s skate featured transition drills that shifted into extensive power play and penalty gill work. PK units turned sticks upside down (stick handles on the ice) while PP groupings were forced to generate offensive under a strict time limit.

How the Reign Dressed:
Black: LaDue, Gravel, Walker, Falkovsky, Leslie, Lintuniemi, Walker, Racine
Purple: Auger, Amadio, Mersch
Green: Crescenzi, Herr, Devane
Grey: Imama, Maillet, Iverson
White: Sutter, Hensick, Luff
Yellow: Wagner, Ward
Grey: Campbell, Petersen, Zatkoff

Roy Missing:
Defenseman Matt Roy is still battling an injury and per Head Coach Mike Stothers, will not be making the upcoming trip to Tucson and Texas starting Saturday.

Wagner is Ready:
Forward Austin Wagner is out of his no-contact red jersey and fully participating in Reign practice. Now he looks to be medically cleared to play and receive instruction from LA Kings brass on his future. He could remain with the Reign and officially be added to the roster (jersey no. 26) and begin his pro career or head back to juniors. Will have clips from Stothers and Wagner tomorrow.

The Reign host the San Diego Gulls on Friday at 7 PM at Citizens Business and depart on a 13-day, five-game road trip on Saturday starting vs. Tucson on Sunday and also going trough Cedar Park, TX and San Antonio, TX.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Curious what LA will do with Wagner. Looking at the other forwards on Ontario's roster, there's not a ton of speed. You'd think that he'd bring more to the table than Imama or Devane, who seem one dimensional.
Agree on the speed issue. We seriously lack that. It's about asset management and development though. We'll see if Futa changes his mind. Prior, it was pretty clear via Futa's own words they were going to send him back, but since he is ready to go after only a month and a half, maybe they are rethinking that since he can still get in more than 2/3 of a season. Personally, I hope he stays.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Jon Rosen‏@lakingsinsider wrote;

Re: 20 y/o Austin Wagner (AHL-bound or @WHLPats bound?), who has recovered from off-season shoulder surgery, I'm told the team will know more after a Friday doctors appointment. Appears the decision isn't set in stone at this point.

One factor they may go in the Reign's favor is there are almost the exact number of games remaining in the Pats and the Reign's schedule, so that may be a consideration. The deciding factor will be asset management and if they feel he is ready (which all indications are he can skate with the big boys).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad