One Year Later: The Lucic Contract

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Do you not see Kassian mentioned in the original comment? He's nothing. Maroon is okay I guess but even oilers fans know he's a product of McDavid. Overall if your biggest contributions to your team are Kassian and Maroon I'm not too impressed. But you are and that's fine

I’m saying calling a 27 goal scorer, who had salary retained, traded for scraps for nothing is an asinine comment and you are back peddling and rightfully so.

27 goals is 27 goals. It’s mind numbing that you think this was nothing but then praise Your gm throwing 6.25 for the same goal production but the guys 38 years old. But I don’t want to derail this into another Leafs thread.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Lucic was going to get that money and term from someone so it makes sense he went to edmonton.

1. He has a past with Chirallei
2. He provided a unique skillset at the time to the team
3. He is one of 2 players in the league who has skill and can enforce from the winger position. The other being Simmonds
4. When you have McDavid, you do need a guy like Lucic to atleast make the other team think twice about hitting him.

It's a bad contract , but i can atleast understand it .

Reactions: Mav3rick07

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I wasn't the biggest Looch fan when he was in Boston so obviously I'm not the biggest fan now. He's slow and often lazy and makes some really stupid decisions (both playmaking and doing stupid crap like spearing).

But I will say he has always been a playoff warrior. He always seems to have another level in and clearly wants to win.

I think eventually his body is going to make it hard for him to be that effective but I never doubt his compete level in the postseason.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thought it was an albatross when he signed it and think it will get worse with time. Then again, it's Peter Chiarelli so it doesn't surprise me. Trying to turn the 2017 Edmonton Oilers into the 2011 Boston Bruins.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm anticipating that Lucic will discover he's allergic to hockey equipment sometime towards the end of next season. He'll spend ions on LTIR.

Nov 24, 2006
It was always a bad contract.

If the Oilers wind up being steady and progress as a team, no one will really care.

If they regress...

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I’m saying calling a 27 goal scorer, who had salary retained, traded for scraps for nothing is an asinine comment and you are back peddling and rightfully so.

27 goals is 27 goals. It’s mind numbing that you think this was nothing but then praise Your gm throwing 6.25 for the same goal production but the guys 38 years old. But I don’t want to derail this into another Leafs thread.

You compare Maroon with Marleau and then call his comment asinine?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm making the point of how calling a player who scored 27 goals is nothing is a stupid statement while praising the signing of a 38 year old to a 6.25 million dollar contract for the same goal production is pretty hypocritical no?

Is it wrong to question a player who's production jumped from replacement level to 1st line levels after being put on McDavid's line? Do you really think that they can stick Maroon on RNH's wing and he'd keep scoring?

How do you compare him to a guy who has been a consistent producer for his whole 18 year career and has been defying the aging curve for about 6 years now?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Matt Cooke was a rat who threw dirty hits regardless of who was on the ice for the opponent.

It's not a coincidence the Oilers stopped getting pushed around when players like Lucic and Maroon were brought onto the team.
Well, the league isn't what it was 5 or 10 years ago. I doubt Matt Martin is stopping a rat from going after Matthews. I think it's more about the fact that goons and rats are becoming more and more rare now. The less of them, the less likely we see skilled guys out because of them. So no, I don't think it's a coincidence or a deterrent. I also dont believe that guys like Lucic have ever stopped an opposing player from making a dirty play.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
People say its a terrible contract, but he still put up 50 points last year and theres several ways to get out of the cap hit if his production significantly decreases (compliance buyout, long term IR).

Lots of silly things being said in this thread about a contract that is only in year two.
Honest question, how long do you think he puts up 50 for? 1 more year? 2?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm making the point of how calling a player who scored 27 goals is nothing is a stupid statement while praising the signing of a 38 year old to a 6.25 million dollar contract for the same goal production is pretty hypocritical no?

No one's praising Marleau's contract, what are you talking about? Stop deflecting.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, the league isn't what it was 5 or 10 years ago. I doubt Matt Martin is stopping a rat from going after Matthews. I think it's more about the fact that goons and rats are becoming more and more rare now. The less of them, the less likely we see skilled guys out because of them. So no, I don't think it's a coincidence or a deterrent. I also dont believe that guys like Lucic have ever stopped an opposing player from making a dirty play.

The idea that Lucic is some sort of deterrent is a joke. Look no further than the last Leafs-Oilers game last year. Kadri was all over McDavid the entire game, even shoving him in the face yet Lucic did nothing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Everyone says this until a big slow team wins again in a few years then the trend will go back to
Everyone says this until a big slow team wins again in a few years then the trend will go back to size. The latest Stanley cup winner is always the model.

Yeah, the trend has changed over the years, but I don't see a slow, lumbering team on the horizon to change the model anytime soon.

Just so that I'm clear, I don't consider the oilers to be a slow team overall.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Everyone says this until a big slow team wins again in a few years then the trend will go back to size. The latest Stanley cup winner is always the model.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: bukwas

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Agreed. Lucic made the pass to Savard when Cooke ended his career. They may fight afterwards and give an emotional victory, but they don't actually deter anything.
The moment I came to the realization that deterrents are a crock was years ago when Cam Janssen cheap shotted Kaberle. Janssen then looked around, and nobody fought him. Belak wasn't dressed, but he dressed the next time, they fought and that was the end. Like Savard, Kaberle was never the same. I know some people might say Janssen did it because Belak wasn't there but that's not true, Janssen looked around thinking he had to fight because it didn't matter to him who was on the ice, he would have cheap shotted Kaberle even if Probert or Domi were out there. Point being, nobody goes into the corner, where they have 1 second to make a decision and has time to think about whether this'll come back to bite them.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

We need some nuance here. Maroon played with a 100 point player and got 27 goals. His previous career high was 11 goals in 2013-2014. Marleau is a near future HHOF with multiple ppg and 30-goal seasons.

Someone should make a poll of who would you rather have on your team: Maroon or Marleau.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Are you under the impression Lucic was signed to be a $6M deterrent or something? He's a 50+ point power forward with a unique skill set.

The change in how the Oilers play and are treated by their opponents from 2015-16/earlier to 2016-17/currently is so apparent, I don't know what else to tell you. The Oilers used to get bullied on a nightly basis and not stick up for each other. It's the complete opposite now because of players like Lucic.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
When your 2 best players are combined for 21 million dollars a year, you cannot have this kind of mistake otherwise it will likely cost you a stanley cup.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Just stay away from UFA's if you want to build a cup winner. 2-3 years are ok I guess. Longer than that? No thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad