One Year Later: The Lucic Contract

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
yeah it's not a bad investment at all. but I don't think there is any "********" going on anywhere.

I think it probably has to do with a few things.
- he's a doosher so people are more prone to ripping on him.

- he has started out slowly both years. and this year especially not many are paying attention to the oilers so they don't realize he's picked it up.

umm, evidence?

and go read this thread alone, its full of b***h***

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Way too long. Knew this and Eriksson’s Contracts were going to end up being awful last. Lucic will probably drop off significantly in year 3 or 4.

How many of the leagues ironmen (he’s only missed 10 of the last 562 games) suddenly fall off a cliff at 30? Are you worried Cogliano is in the middle of falling apart this year?

This BS narrative needs to die. It’s almost like people think he’s 5 years older than he is. His deal is over at freaking 34. This won’t even be his last contract.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
yeah it's not a bad investment at all. but I don't think there is any "********" going on anywhere.

I think it probably has to do with a few things.
- he's a doosher so people are more prone to ripping on him.

- he has started out slowly both years. and this year especially not many are paying attention to the oilers so they don't realize he's picked it up.
Yea but he's ugly and slow!! Who cares about stats when I have my own narrative!!

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
umm, evidence?

and go read this thread alone, its full of b***h***
you want evidence of him being a less than savoury individual? umm okay that's not hard.

on ice

gets eliminated starts telling guys in lineup he'll kill them next year.

Ryan Miller hit.

hes got a few spears to his credit. a pitchfork to the nuts if I recall too. wait two of them? datsyuk and dekeyser? noone respects stickwork.

sucker punches. reaming out refs.

off ice
fights in Vancouver. now admittedly he may not have instigated them. we don't know. but yelling "do you know who I am?" repeatedly? lame.

cops have called to break up fights with his girlfriend. found him yelling at her on the ground. throwing her things at her. tells cops "do you know who I am"

even beyond the incidents, his general demeanor is that of a real jack arse.

good power winger. scum bucket.

you won't get many people to argue that he's not.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I get that people really want to hate this contract.

The Oilers are an easy target

Lucic is not the most likeable player (unless he's on your side... then you love him)

And the contract is one of the biggest in the last couple years, so there is a risk at its tail end

But there are no facts that say it's a bad contract... not yet anyway. It's not out of the norm as a UFA contract... and Lucic has played exactly to the caliber one would expect.

On the subjective side, the Oilers are a better team with him, then without... anyone who watched the players (and more to the point, saw that they were FINALLY in the playoffs) knows that to be true.

The rest is pure speculation... its tough to argue against the speculation that at some point he might not live up to the contract... but even then... he'll be 34 and he's been a remarkably healthy guy. So again... no data to support the concern/shadenfreunde

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Way too long. Knew this and Eriksson’s Contracts were going to end up being awful last. Lucic will probably drop off significantly in year 3 or 4.

I'm pretty sure it wont be worst than 3 years of Marleau, did you put him on your list too?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
LOL...yeah too bad you don't have him. He would be leading your team in scoring by 3 points LMFAO.

You know that thing where if a man claims how many women he's slept with, divide by 3, but if a woman claims how many men she has slept with, multiply by 3?

Hockey players are kind of like that in Montreal. Whatever a player is scoring not on the Habs, divide by 2 if they were on the Habs. A Hab gets traded and plays somewhere else? Multiply by 2.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How many of the leagues ironmen (he’s only missed 10 of the last 562 games) suddenly fall off a cliff at 30? Are you worried Cogliano is in the middle of falling apart this year?

This BS narrative needs to die. It’s almost like people think he’s 5 years older than he is. His deal is over at freaking 34. This won’t even be his last contract.

We’ll just about every player experiences some sort of decline once they start to get passed 30, the only thing that is unclear is how steep. Sometimes it can be rapid, sometimes it can be gradual.

Nobody can say for certain with Lucic, though his skating will be something to watch.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
As an Oiler fan, I hated that contract at the time it happened and I still do now. And I'm definitely not a fan of Chiarelli and how he's handed out contracts the way he has.

With that being said, Lucic's presence is a deterrent every time he's on the ice. Opposing players aren't as willing to take part in after-whistle antics when he's nearby and that great for a player with a target on his back like McDavid.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
My problem has always been length and not AAV.

6 Million for a player who produces 50ish points a year and enforces on the ice? Well worth 6 million

Unfortunately, Lucic was 27, not 23 when we handed him that 7 year contract.

Reactions: Devonator

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We’ll just about every player experiences some sort of decline once they start to get passed 30, the only thing that is unclear is how steep. Sometimes it can be rapid, sometimes it can be gradual.

Nobody can say for certain with Lucic, though his skating will be something to watch.

Ok but how many players experience a rapid decline at 30, and it’s not injury related? Lucic is one of the most durable players in the league, so expecting him to decline due to injury isn’t very logical. And as you said, he’s not a great skater, which just means he’s not reliant on his skating. He’s reliant on his strength and his hockey IQ. Things that won’t decline nearly as quickly. So if he isn’t going to break down at 30 because of injury, or declining skill, I ask again, why is Lucic going to decline early? It’s reasonable to expect him to decline at 35+, but 30? He hasn’t broken down yet at 29, so why is he going to immediately break down next year?

Reactions: Del Preston

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I personally still like it at this day in time. It was a UFA signing with a contract that has him getting the same 6 mill cap hit he was getting from his previous contract and it changed the dynamic of the once soft Oilers. Keep him away from the 3on3 OT and you you still get a 50 point 200 hit top 6 forward. He wasn't a problem last season nor this season, so we can revisit when he actually turns into a detriment outside of the 3v3 OT. Currently on pace for a 20-40-60 season with 240 hits with notable chemistry with Nuge Drai and McDavid.

Recently, if you've been watching him with those youngins McDavid and Puljujarvi it's pretty damn entertaining. I personally think McDavid and Lucic do not work because he's so immobile, but to my surprise he's creating a lot of space out there for those other two to work some magic. Glad he's proven me wrong. Funny enough, it's not even a bottom 5 contract of his UFA class.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Lucic has 78 pts in 126 games in an Oiler uniform (50.8 pts per 82 games). That's what he normally gets looking at his previous seasons. He still plays with the same edge which the Oilers needed for so long.

The cap hit is fine for what he brings.. sure he could be a very bad player by the age of 33 or 34 but i don't know anyone here can look into the future.

There are so many other bad contracts out there (backes, eriksson, okposo, marleau). i dont get why Lucic is always mentioned as the worst one

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lucic has 78 pts in 126 games in an Oiler uniform (50.8 pts per 82 games). That's what he normally gets looking at his previous seasons. He still plays with the same edge which the Oilers needed for so long.

The cap hit is fine for what he brings.. sure he could be a very bad player by the age of 33 or 34 but i don't know anyone here can look into the future.

There are so many other bad contracts out there (backes, eriksson, okposo, marleau). i dont get why Lucic is always mentioned as the worst one
Because it was the Oilers/Chiarelli who gave out the contract and the player is Lucic. That's really the only reason. People on here act like he's John Scott or Peter Worrell.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would put it far down on the list of bad moves that Chiarelli has made in the last 1.5 years. The contract sucks, but mostly for its term right now. He's been fine this first year and a third. He scored 50 points last year and is on pace to closer to 60 points this year. This is a deal that will be pretty painful in a couple years.

The really painful deal right now is the Kris Russell deal. How do you figure he's worth $4 million per year for 4 years? Who came up with that lousy figure? How do you figure he's even worth a 4 year term at all? HOW?! The guy almost washed out of the league a year before he gave him that contract. He didn't even sign this bum until the week of the season opener last year! Wasn't he a PTO in the 2016 training camp? He almost washed out of the league before Chiarelli rescued him. Then Chiarelli rewards his ''Good season'' with a 4 years @ $16 million dollar contract? Really? Stupid move. And he didn't have a good season either. This type of defenseman fools dinosaur GM's and media personalities into thinking he's this good ''Crease clearing'' defensive defenseman, because they believe playing good defense means to do nothing but stay glued and trapped in your own end and defend, while manning your position and blocking shots or sweeping pucks out of the crease and icing the thing if you have to.

That's the contract that SUCKS right now. Because Lucic is still a good player, Russell was never a good player.

Reactions: Slyfox

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
you want evidence of him being a less than savoury individual? umm okay that's not hard.

on ice

gets eliminated starts telling guys in lineup he'll kill them next year.

Ryan Miller hit.

hes got a few spears to his credit. a pitchfork to the nuts if I recall too. wait two of them? datsyuk and dekeyser? noone respects stickwork.

sucker punches. reaming out refs.

off ice
fights in Vancouver. now admittedly he may not have instigated them. we don't know. but yelling "do you know who I am?" repeatedly? lame.

cops have called to break up fights with his girlfriend. found him yelling at her on the ground. throwing her things at her. tells cops "do you know who I am"
You should supply an element of proof making accusations such as this. It's only fair.

even beyond the incidents, his general demeanor is that of a real jack arse.

good power winger. scum bucket.

you won't get many people to argue that he's not.

You should supply an element of proof. It's only fair.

EDIT: re-read... your post contains ZERO proof

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
2 pts today and 21 pts in his last 25 games.
There were also numerous occasions where Lucic used his size to create scoring chances, including the GWG by Puljujarvi.

Once again, I cannot understand how the OP focused negatively on Lucic's contract while ignoring those of other 2016 UFAs like Brouwer, Backes, Okposo, Ladd, and Eriksson.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Bang on. I've said this before - I find it extremely ironic that the same people that bash Lucic endlessly and say his contract is a boat anchor would pee their pants with joy if their team signed Wayne Simmonds to 7x7 as a free agent. Lucic was just ok as an Oiler last year, but he's more than pulled his weight this season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There were also numerous occasions where Lucic used his size to create scoring chances, including the GWG by Puljujarvi.

Once again, I cannot understand how the OP focused negatively on Lucic's contract while ignoring those of other 2016 UFAs like Brouwer, Backes, Okposo, Ladd, and Eriksson.

Anyone bashing Lucic needs to watch the replay of him absolutely bulling through Matt Dumba to set up Puljujarvi's goal. He's not slowing down at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad