GDT: one hockey team vs another -630pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
And 3-3-3 in their last 9. And 2 points away from being out of the playoffs. And making all the same mental errors as last year.

2 points away from being out with 2 games in hand of Calgary and Winnipeg who are behind them.

The roster is flawed. We aren't going to dominate the way we have in previous seasons with an aging core and no depth up front. We are still a playoff team at this point. The way posters are reacting it's as if we are the 2014 Sabres.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I think we're basically exactly where a majority would have anticipated us to be at this point before the season. We're just not as cool with that as we also might have anticipated. It's a weird season. It's not really going objectively worse than the average projection, but there's definitely a shortage of excitement/optimism, which itself is relatively understandable, as well. Not that plenty of excitement in early December means much in the grand scheme, either. It just feels a tad directionless compared to years passed.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Perry, Getzlaf and who ever is with them are way below average 5 v 5. They're getting over 20 minutes a game and not producing. They're not a very hard match up for any team right now. If Kesler, Silf, Cogs and Cam had not picked up the slack, this team would be out of the playoffs. With the salaries tied up in the veterans and the new deals for Hamphus, Sami and Rakell, there is very little hope for a cup.

Last edited:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The Ducks are a middle of the pack not very exciting team this year. It is hard to get enthusiastic for this edition of the team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think we're basically exactly where a majority would have anticipated us to be at this point before the season. We're just not as cool with that as we also might have anticipated. It's a weird season. It's not really going objectively worse than the average projection, but there's definitely a shortage of excitement/optimism, which itself is relatively understandable, as well. Not that plenty of excitement in early December means much in the grand scheme, either. It just feels a tad directionless compared to years passed.

It's true that some of us didn't have high hopes for the season to begin with. But others really believed that BB was the devil and that replacing him made us a strong cup contender. And Bob was leading that parade by making it sound like we just needed a coach who could win in the playoffs by making players accountable. That was never the only problem but it was the easiest one to blame/fix.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I just can't figure out what the hell is up with Perry. Could it be an injury?

I actually think Getzlaf's been fine, to be honest. The forward depth is shot to all hell, which was to be expected, but what's unexpected is the two of our normally dynamic defencemen that we literally just extended (sacrificing the aforementioned depth) have been underperforming.

Compare what a completely healthy forward roster entering the playoffs last year:

Perron - Getzlaf - Stewart
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
McGinn - Rakell - Perry
Thompson - Horcoff - Garbutt

And this year's (we literally can't even afford to reactivate Thompson):

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Ritchie - Vermette - Kase
Garbutt - Shaw - Wagner/Boll

I can tell you that at least 2 of that bottom 6 shouldn't be playing in the NHL on a regular basis.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I'm pretty sure the only injury Perry has is in his head.

That being said, but him and Getz are still producing points (just not goals from either)... so it would seem this could only get better.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I'm pretty sure the only injury Perry has is in his head.

That being said, but him and Getz are still producing points (just not goals from either)... so it would seem this could only get better.

Perry and Getz total of 49 Games combined.

19 assits 5 v 5 combined

5 Goals 5 v 5 combined

1 POWER PLAY GOAL COMBINED

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I liked Carlyle's quote after the game:

“We took a penalty along the wall and they scored on the power play,†Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said. “It seemed like the roof caved in from that point.â€

before this, I thought we were the far better team. Bernier let in a softy, but I thought we were dominating them.

Then we fell apart. It was 35+ minutes of terrible hockey... it happens.

I don't know what everyone's expectations were this season. The minute Rakell and Lindholm held out, and Perron walked, and Carlyle was hired, I was expecting something like this. An average hockey team that is still trying to figure it out.

Rakell/Lindholm missed training camp. We replaced Perron, McGinn, Stewart with a lot of hot garbage. Neither Bieksa or Stoner were moved. We lost Andersen for futures.

This is reality.

The only thing I'm upset about is how damn terrible/timid Perry has been. Carlyle should split Perry and Getzlaf because he is an anchor on any line he is playing.

I'm waiting of us to make a move to boost the offense. I like what Kase and Ritchie are doing (in fact they greatly exceed my expectations) but my god we need to something else upfront.

With the way Fowler is playing this is why I think we should move Vatanen for a legitimate offensive force.

To be honest though, i think we'll see some big changes in the offseason. Vatanen, possibly Perry will get moved.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This team has a decent record despite the top line doing nothing. Everyone knows they will not only get hot but dominate again at some point and there will be a nice winning streak. I wonder where all the anti Carlyle corsi prospect lovers will be during that time?

You must be reading a different board than everyone else.

Or you're trying really hard to find something between the lines of what everyone is saying.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Perry is never getting moved. No way he doesn't exercise his nmc. If he wanted to win so bad he would be playing like it.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Perry and Getz total of 49 Games combined.

19 assits 5 v 5 combined

5 Goals 5 v 5 combined

1 POWER PLAY GOAL COMBINED

fuzzy math (for me at least)

let's do this right.

Getz: 23 games- 22pts . (17th in the league) -1
Perry: 26 games- 19 pts . (39th in the league) -3

Neither are great numbers, especially considering who we're talking about. But, it's not like there's nothing at all coming from them. That being said, Perry is pretty lost right now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
2 points away from being out with 2 games in hand of Calgary and Winnipeg who are behind them.

The roster is flawed. We aren't going to dominate the way we have in previous seasons with an aging core and no depth up front. We are still a playoff team at this point. The way posters are reacting it's as if we are the 2014 Sabres.

Nah, people are reacting as if they've been sold a bill of goods. RC was supposed to be the answer to the team not being ready to start games, to be a master of matchups, and the dominant force to bring back accountability. The preseason games ran ads of Wild Wing basically finding Jesus when he saw RC was back, and a declaration of "Ducks Hockey is Back!"

We have a team who isn't ready for games, who is arguably worse and is certainly no better at matchups, who isn't hitting or being as aggressive as the last 2 BB teams (which is what they appeared to be selling as the return of "Ducks Hockey"), and is boring as hell to watch.

Yes, there was a talent drain. BB managed to change his coaching style effectively when he was repeatedly given the wrong pieces. RC appears to still be trying to hammer every peg into the holes he determines the shape of. I had minimal expectations for this season, and the team appears to be meeting them.

And 2 points out isn't "comfortable", regardless of who's chasing them. Teams can still make trades and improve, and if we take an injury to the 2nd line...

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
So much whining about a single game. This team is 3-1-1 their past 5 and is still comfortably in a playoff spot despite their highest paid player doing absolutely nothing all year.

You must be a very comfortable person. I'm still nervous about this team.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Perry is never getting moved. No way he doesn't exercise his nmc. If he wanted to win so bad he would be playing like it.

He might if really hates playing for Carlyle. And I'm sure Carlyle is the kind of coach that is capable of getting someone to request a trade.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

let's do this right.

Neither are great numbers, especially considering who we're talking about. But, it's not like there's nothing at all coming from them. That being said, Perry is pretty lost right now.

There's nothing wrong with Getzlaf's play. But Perry needs at minimum a demotion, and I'd argue a trip to the press box. If he's injured, he needs to sit and get healthy, because he's the one routinely ending offensive shifts. If he's not injured, he needs some "accountability", because it's a joke how he's playing. He can't handle the puck, he can't keep the puck on his stick, he floats defensively, he never actually finishes a check any more, he's accumulating points by making a routine pass for a 2nd assist, or by having a puck randomly bounce off of him to someone who doesn't screw it up. (yes, it was a nice drop pass in the last game)

Oct 18, 2011
this roster "as is" is not good enough. we are a lot like the canucks, who did not capitalize on their window, and they kept chasing even though everyone could see they were no longer cup contenders, and it was to the detriment of the franchise. if Bob can't address this teams issues I hope he does not do anything stupid to hurt the long term future.

the ducks can't win when they give up more than 2 goals and that's just not going to work when you get into the playoffs and face higher quality competition.

On the other side, the west is down this year, so if the ducks could make a significant addition up front it would put them right back in the thick of things but until then, 2nd tier contender at best.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
this roster "as is" is not good enough. we are a lot like the canucks, who did not capitalize on their window, and they kept chasing even though everyone could see they were no longer cup contenders, and it was to the detriment of the franchise. if Bob can't address this teams issues I hope he does not do anything stupid to hurt the long term future.

the ducks can't win when they give up more than 2 goals and that's just not going to work when you get into the playoffs and face higher quality competition.

On the other side, the west is down this year, so if the ducks could make a significant addition up front it would put them right back in the thick of things but until then, 2nd tier contender at best.

I don't think there is anything Murray can realistically do to address the team's current (biggest) problem: Lindholm, Vatanen, and Perry.

Let's be honest with ourselves here. There is just no realistic move that Murray can make that will have the kind of impact any one of those three players should have. Not individually(well, maybe Vatanen), and certainly not all together. That's the team's best goal scorer, their best young defenseman, and a top 4 offensive defenseman. When three key players are performing below expectations, and two of those players have just straight up been bad(Perry and Vatanen), you're going to have issues.

A significant addition up front would require spending significant assets. Who do you move? And how does it fix anything if those three players continue to under perform?

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Our bottom 6 is not horrific... with the exception of Boll. Kase has been pleasant surprise in limited time and Shaw may work out. Garbutt could produce more if he had more minutes, maybe move him to the 3rd line. Cramarossa seems to bring grit that is missing on this team. Hopefully Ritchie will pick it up and Vermette has been lights out in face-offs.

2nd line has exceeded expectations. So has Rackell.

But the team is out of sync more than not and most goals are from picking up the garbage, not really from any set play.

John

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I kind of have the same feeling with Kase that I did with Bonino. Different players, but Kase just keeps getting chances, and he continually finds himself right in the middle of the play. There is a lot to like about the kid, and if he works hard I get the feeling that those chances will start to turn into goals for Anaheim. He's the kind of player I would have liked to see Anaheim add in the off-season, albeit a more experienced and prove version. Skilled, dynamic, and hard-working.

He's at the opposite end of the spectrum of someone like Sekac, who managed to look like he was effective, but only so long as he was on the perimeter where he wasn't dangerous at all. With Kase, I don't think he needs to do a whole lot differently to start putting up some points. Kase is actually dangerous with the puck. Sekac wasn't.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011

let's do this right.

It's not the point totals that are bad. It's the even strength play of this line vs anybody. Yes I'd expect them to have big point totals because they play the first 1:30 of every single PP and all the minutes in 5 on 3.

It's 5 on 5 hockey they should be dominant or at least plus. They are not.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's not the point totals that are bad. It's the even strength play of this line vs anybody. Yes I'd expect them to have big point totals because they play the first 1:30 of every single PP and all the minutes in 5 on 3.

It's 5 on 5 hockey they should be dominant or at least plus. They are not.

Getzlaf is 38th among all forwards in ES points (that would rank him as an above average first liner in terms of ES production - tied with the likes of Benn and Wheeler in less games). Rakell has 10 ES points in only 16 games which is very good 5 on 5 production. Perry is 78th in ESP among all forwards which is below average for a first liner. He is the only issue with the first line, the other two are pulling their weight and have not been a problem.

Also we've only scored a single 5 on 3 goal this season in just over 2 minutes of 5 on 3 PP-TOI so that is hardly padding anyone's stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad