Recalled/Assigned: Ondrej Pavelec recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm not excited to see what Pavelec can do, I've seen enough of him over the years that I think we know pretty much what to expect.

HOWEVER, I do agree with posters who say this is the right move. I don't see the point in trading away assets for a veteran goalie at this juncture, but I do see merit in giving the crease to someone else. The young goalies' confidence is shattered. Pavs can at the very least take some of the heat off of them. Maybe he'll have some fire in his belly to prove he's an NHL 'tender and go on a bit of a run. If the rest of the team starts playing with confidence again as a result we could see the good Jets from earlier in the season.

It may be too late for the playoffs, but it will make for much less painful viewing and may give something to build on for next year. Cold comfort, but better than the gong show that the team has turned into of late.

DanBert

Apr 7, 2012
Great:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

I'm not sure what TSN 1290 guy thinks (Brandon Rewucki) ....he's actually saying they're re calling Pavelec because of Hutch's performance this year.

REALLY?

I'm pretty sure it's because our so called no.1 , Helleybuyck is struggling to the point where you're forced to start your back up who is ALSO struggling...

If Hellebuyck was having the year, management was hoping he would have....This wouldn't be happening.

Jets need to GET a goalie....They better not ride the Hellebuyck train for years as they did with Pavelec..and then decide...oopps..I guess he wasn't our guy after all.
As a Sesaon ticket Holder I'm getting more than annoyed.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
:biglaugh:

Well I guess I get to watch the fish out of water flop around in the blue paint again...

"It's Deja Vu all over again..."

And for PoMo' "It ain't over til' it's over"...

giphy.gif

:amazed::popcorn:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well I understand the need to shake things up seeing how the team has lost confidence in the goaltending. Perrault threw them under a bus last week so you gotta figure things are bad in the dressing room.

Having said that Pavs certainly isn't the answer, he's had 6 seasons and done nothing but disappoint, thinking he's going to do anything to alleviate the problems in net are optimistic to say the least.

I definitely get that the expansion draft has greatly hindered the team's ability to trade for a proven vet so this really is our only realistic option.

I'm just quite frankly disappointed that it's come to this. Very disappointed that not one of our young goalies could step up and claim the spot or even just give us passable net minding.
I have a question , can you only protect 1 goaltender ? I haven't really followed the expansion draft process too closely yet .

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I have nothing against Pavelec and i hope he stands on his head and we win all the remaining games and we make the play-offs , but going on his history it's not going to happen .

I'll say it's not likely to happen, but it could happen based on history (two years ago). He is capable going on a run.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have a question , can you only protect 1 goaltender ? I haven't really followed the expansion draft process too closely yet .

The mere thought of Jets worrying about which goaltender to protect sends me down to hysterical laughter, and then sobbing, and then again to hysterical laughter through the tears.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I actually like this move. Jets goalie situation need a shakeup big time.

And you know he is going to win VS the Yotes on Wednesday. Management probably did this on purpose... call him up right before they play the terrible Yotes and if Pavelec gets a win, his confidence will be sky high. IMO there wasn't a better time to call him up

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The mere thought of Jets worrying about which goaltender to protect sends me down to hysterical laughter, and then sobbing, and then again to hysterical laughter through the tears.

My understanding is that Hellebuyck is expansion draft exempt and therefore doesn't need protecting? Or am I wrong on that?

Either way, I agree, there's no way Las Vegas selects any of our goalies. I wish we could use our goalie slot to protect an additional forward.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

You have to expose one, and can only protect one - I guess you could not protect any, based on this:

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Doesn't say you HAVE to protect one in the rules.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Lmao, lets we should call up the Moose goalie coach and defensive coach as well. That way we might have a hope in hell.

[mod]

Bringing up Pavs simply reeks of desperation. PoMo is in trouble (rightfully so) Chevy is trying to deflect blame (again). This is us circling the drain boys.

Last edited by a moderator:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
We spoke to him following the game on Sunday for Moose. He didn't sound like someone who expected to be recalled by Jets again. "....if I think I'm going to be called up or I'm going to play for the Jets, I don't think so, that's only my opinion".

To listen to full clip click here.

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
If anyone knows Jim Slater's phone number please pass it to Chevy... he is looking for him... looked very desperate last night ...

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Off topic but I had forgotten that Perrault had "thrown the goalies under a bus". Couple that with his public preseason derision of Trouba's holdout (and Perrault's less than stellar play this year) and I've got to wonder if Perrault is one of a few issues in the dressing room.

IMO, given the Jets' current goaltending woes, calling up Pavelec was the thing to do.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Well I understand the need to shake things up seeing how the team has lost confidence in the goaltending. Perrault threw them under a bus last week so you gotta figure things are bad in the dressing room.

Having said that Pavs certainly isn't the answer, he's had 6 seasons and done nothing but disappoint, thinking he's going to do anything to alleviate the problems in net are optimistic to say the least.

I definitely get that the expansion draft has greatly hindered the team's ability to trade for a proven vet so this really is our only realistic option.

I'm just quite frankly disappointed that it's come to this. Very disappointed that not one of our young goalies could step up and claim the spot or even just give us passable net minding.

Maybe you don't understand. Goalies aren't just available, we don't have NHL caliber goal tending right now, Pav, say what you want, is an NHL caliber and experienced goalie. The good news is the team recognizes there is something wrong. Pav is the only quick answer right now, save for replacing Huddy and Flaherty.

It's smart, the team responds, Pav plays okay, maybe we get in the playoffs (small chance). Worst case, same as now, bottom of the league.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
When you have two goalies stinking the joint, which demoralizes the team, you have to do something. Pavelec has the capability to go on a run, which is what we need. Even if he doesn't go on a run, our young goalies need a break.

Trading for a veteran goalie right now (because you guys are so anti-Pavelec) is a ridiculous waste of organizational assets, especially when that goalie would have to be exposed in the expansion draft. It is especially wasteful in a season where snagging a wild card and a first round exit is our best outcome. It's just not worth it.

I am excited to see what Pavelec can do.

Next off-season...yeah, Jets need to solve the goalie situation and spend some money.

This exactly. Show Huddy the door too, that doesn't cost us much right now.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well goaltending has been a problem, I can't believe this is the solution but here we are. Chevy probably got the idea after watching Budaj on Saturday night. He might get hot and help them win a few games, a usual, but there is nothing to indicate this is going to help them over a longer stretch. Desperation move, fits the definition of insanity.

So what do they do if Pav gets lit up like the rest of them?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yep. Should be entertaining.
It can't get much worse on the goaltending front. This is the right move. Costs the org nothing.

I agree. Hes just down the hall doing nothing. Is it an admission of mistakes? Yes, but life is a whole lot easier when you make those admissions sooner than later.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
so if Pavelec wins a couple in a row, what happens?

Helle minors?
Hutch waivers?

I don't want to see Helle back in the AHL, but that may be what happens. Id be nervous that sending him down though would kill his confidence even more

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Easiest move to make

I wouldn't doubt that the room has no faith in their goaltending right now. Curious to see how this plays out with this group of players

People put way too much importance on coaching at this level. Coaches prep teams on who they are playing and how they should play them but it is up to the players to actually produce and play especially at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad