Ondrej Pavelec IV: A New Paveleconian Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How bad do the Jets, Chevy and TNSE look after the Coyotes bought out Ribeiro? Here we have a team in the Coyotes that is categorically the most cash strapped team in the NHL, constantly under the threat of being relocated. If there was any team in the entire league that could use being a "small team with little resources" as an excuse it would be the Coyotes. This is absolutely humilating for the Jets. The PHOENIX FREAKING COYOTES bought out a player and yet we can't address out goaltending situation (despite the fact that our buyout candidate plays in a much more critical position). I hope people realize how funny this is- a team that a section of Jets fans constantly look down upon for not "filling the seats" can admit a mistake a buyout a player but the Jets who charge top-dollar for tickets are apparently too poor. EFF this... seriously eff the Jets management. I have so little confidence in these fools it is not even funny. And it makes me sad to feel this way as I was one of the biggest TNSE koolaid drinkers at the end of the first season back of Jets 2.0. Boy how things have changed.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
How bad do the Jets, Chevy and TNSE look after the Coyotes bought out Ribeiro? Here we have a team in the Coyotes that is categorically the most cash strapped team in the NHL, constantly under the threat of being relocated. If there was any team in the entire league that could use being a "small team with little resources" as an excuse it would be the Coyotes. This is absolutely humilating for the Jets. The PHOENIX FREAKING COYOTES bought out a player and yet we can't address out goaltending situation (despite the fact that our buyout candidate plays in a much more critical position). I hope people realize how funny this is- a team that a section of Jets fans constantly look down upon for not "filling the seats" can admit a mistake a buyout a player but the Jets who charge top-dollar for tickets are apparently too poor. EFF this... seriously eff the Jets management. I have so little confidence in these fools it is not even funny. And it makes me sad to feel this way as I was one of the biggest TNSE koolaid drinkers at the end of the first season back of Jets 2.0. Boy how things have changed.
Of course the party line is a load of BS.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

It's different. It's a regular buyout. Every dollar they send to Ribiero's account will help them achieve the cap floor. It sounds like they had a bizzarre situation that they wanted to deal with now, not for financial reasons.

Derfel*

The head coach of the Winnipeg Jets listened to half a question about how long the leash will be on Ondrej Pavelec when the season starts this October before calmly interjecting.

"I have a firm belief he has the ability to be an outstanding No. 1 goaltender. I do. We're going to do everything we can to make that happen. But it's incumbent on every player to make that happen," Maurice said at the Wells Fargo Center. "Every single player has a responsibility to work as hard as he can to make us better. We're going to do everything we can to support Ondrej. But before we get into discussing how much opportunity we're going to give him, I have a firm belief he's capable and I have an expectation which we will demand from him and all our players."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/maurice-guarding-pavelecs-back-265015541.html

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
It does sound like he will be held to a higher standard at the very least.

Still do not like how his terrible track record isn't enough to throw him out yet. If he does as bad as usual next year how long will it take them to cut their losses and get rid of him?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
if we don't have the resources to buy him out, how can we have the resources to either 1. make him an expensive backup or 2. allow him to affect our results negatively ?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The Jets have the resources to buy him out. The franchise is making money and has one of the wealthiest ownership groups in the league. The "we're a small market" crap is just a smoke screen. For some reason, they seem to think Pavelec has it in him to turn his career completely around. I don't know why they think that. I fully expect him to crash and burn at some point this season...I only hope it happens quickly so we can still recover.

Otoh, if Pavelec somehow does manage to perform better than he really ever has in his career then great. This isn't about hating the guy. It's about wanting to win games. I think not buying him out now is a huge wasted opportunity on the part of the organization and it's a decision I don't really understand, but it is what it is. Guess all we can do is watch and see how it plays out. However, Chevy is going to be in a pretty uncomfortable place if a few months into the season Pavelec is riding the pine with a 2.8 gaa and a .904 sv%...or even worse what if he comes into training camp and looks awful right out of the gate - as in his conditioning and so forth. That would be quite a thing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
if we don't have the resources to buy him out, how can we have the resources to either 1. make him an expensive backup or 2. allow him to affect our results negatively ?

This is the very basic truth that drives me nuts.

The savings from buying him out, plus the playoff revenue lost alone makes buying him out the fiscally responsible thing to do. However, I don't think the management believes that Pavelec has had the type of negative impact on our playoff hopes than the numbers bear out. Herein lies the problem.

Our management doesn't get it, which is flabbergasting to me.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think it's more that they have a distaste for doing it (buyout) more than they don't have the resources. I heard Doug McLean describe a meeting he had with the columbus owners about a potential buyout. He said that it's not a pleasant experience. Rich people are more frugal than you would think.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chipman probably hates the idea of paying someone to do nothing. Anyways I'm getting sick of this topic so this is the last post I'll be making on it for awhile. It looks like Pavs will be back and that this is the year he puts up or is benched if Maurice's comments are any indication. I'm not happy going with him as it puts us greatly behind the 8-ball if he plays as he has to date. The saving grace is that I feel that Hutch will push him hard and that Maurice wont be afraid to give him the reins if he earns it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Every team in the league starts the season in the playoffs. They play their 82 games to see if they are a good enough team to stay in the playoffs.

The Jets though, because of who they insist we have in net, start the season out of the playoffs and we play our 82 games hoping for a miracle that we can get into them.

Yes, I'm :deadhorse but, as bad as previous iterations of management of previous iterations of Jets teams have been, at least they were smart enough to try and fix obvious player short comings that were hurting the team. It may not have worked out, but at least they tried. When it comes to goaltending, our current iteration of management and team ownership is beyond brain dead.

I'm kind of glad my 4 year renewal is coming up after this season. Another 65 starts with Pavs, another 5-10 points out of the playoffs, another year off the hockey careers of those on the team that want to succeed.... well, the Jets can keep doing the same old for the next 3 seasons with Pavs, but I'm not sure I'm going to be along for the ride.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
The question is.... Although you believe in Pavs, how much time are you going to give him next season before next season becomes a write off?

I am playing him 70 games because we need a big sample size and give him every opportunity. :nod::nod::handclap::handclap::yo::yo:

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Have a look at their draft history. Trust me, I had the same reaction you did, until I checked with HockeyBD and sadly realized that it came down to him and Carl Klingberg.

Well, Klingberg has done a lot less damage to the team.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think the takeaway here is that the next time someone asks you to explain what "damning with faint praise" means, we can point to Mr. Pavelec's accomplishment as the "greatest 2nd-4th round pick in franchise history". Assuming you think he's been better than Klingberg ;)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

The implication is that they will keep playing Pavelec to save face no matter how well Hutch playes

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Every team in the league starts the season in the playoffs. They play their 82 games to see if they are a good enough team to stay in the playoffs.

The Jets though, because of who they insist we have in net, start the season out of the playoffs and we play our 82 games hoping for a miracle that we can get into them.

Yes, I'm :deadhorse but, as bad as previous iterations of management of previous iterations of Jets teams have been, at least they were smart enough to try and fix obvious player short comings that were hurting the team. It may not have worked out, but at least they tried. When it comes to goaltending, our current iteration of management and team ownership is beyond brain dead.

I'm kind of glad my 4 year renewal is coming up after this season. Another 65 starts with Pavs, another 5-10 points out of the playoffs, another year off the hockey careers of those on the team that want to succeed.... well, the Jets can keep doing the same old for the next 3 seasons with Pavs, but I'm not sure I'm going to be along for the ride.

No! Because you guys chance us from Atlanta to Winnipeg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad