Injury Report: Ondrej Kase being evaluated for a concussion

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Guys, let's not act like I'm saying he's perfectly fine. I think I was literally the first one in the game thread to say he should consider not playing anymore. But if it was such an easy black and white decision, he would have quit several concussions ago. I think he should consider it, and he will consider it, with a hell of a lot more info than we have.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
anyone else wondering if we are waiting on Kase's personal decision on continuing his career before announcing the results?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
anyone else wondering if we are waiting on Kase's personal decision on continuing his career before announcing the results?
If he retires does he still get his whole season salary? Or is it better to LTIRetire where he waits until the contract is up to announce it formally?

EDIT: Ferland hasn't played in almost 2 years, still under contract for 2 more...so may depend on insurance as mentioned by @Cardiac Jerks

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
No. But given it's a potential concussion from a player with a history of concussions, and given Noesen is right there to fill in, I doubt we see Kase again before the Canes return home on 10/28 either way.

I don't see any reason to put someone with a possible concussion on two more cross-country flights. Give him time for the symptoms to subside and see if it's actually a concussion.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If he retires does he still get his whole season salary? Or is it better to LTIRetire where he waits until the contract is up to announce it formally?
In the interest of his finances he’s better off going on IR than walking away from the contract.

I assume the contract is insured so it wouldn’t matter to the team. Kinda crazy you can find someone to insure your contract when you already have 6 concussions.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
No. But given it's a potential concussion from a player with a history of concussions, and given Noesen is right there to fill in, I doubt we see Kase again before the Canes return home on 10/28 either way.

I don't see any reason to put someone with a possible concussion on two more cross-country flights. Give him time for the symptoms to subside and see if it's actually a concussion.
i figured if it was a concussion and he was in concussion protocol, it would be an easy announcement. The day of or after he went back to Raleigh. Let him hang out in Raleigh as you stated until the Canes get back.

EDIT: Ferland hasn't played in almost 2 years, still under contract for 2 more...so may depend on insurance as mentioned by @Cardiac Jerks
Retired cap hits only remain if the player signed a multi year deal at 35+.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Having enough money to support your family is important to some people. Maybe to kase its more important than his own health. Ultimately it's up to him to make that decision.

Reactions: hockeynjune

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
So as expected he's ded... but we got our man... many years later
1666886966551.jpeg

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I was going through the updated protocol this evening. Big document.

So….question is: what step is he currently at, ie still having symptoms, starting workouts, etc. Could give us a signal if he is going to come back and when.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
is he unded yet? this keep being bumped and I expect to see unded but see nothing
What stage has he progressed to would give an indicator:

VI. MANAGEMENT OF CONCUSSION

Concussion symptoms might develop immediately after a blow to the head or body, or they might evolve over time (hours or days). Consequently, Players diagnosed with a concussion should continue to be monitored and evaluated over time.

Players who are diagnosed with a concussion after the acute evaluation shall not return to play or to practice on the same day, irrespective of the resolution of all concussion symptoms.

• Specifically, Players who are diagnosed with a concussion should undergo an initial, brief period of physical and cognitive rest (e.g., 24-48 hours).
• Players can then become gradually and progressively more exposed to activities (a "graded return-to-play progression") that do not provoke cognitive and physical symptoms (i.e., increased activity level should not bring on or worsen symptoms).

An example of a graded return-to-play progression is provided below. Generally, each step should take 24 hours. However, the time frame at each step may vary with Player age, history, etc., and management must be individualized. Club Medical Personnel should monitor progression through the exertional stages as well as continue to consider concurrent morbidities (e.g., migraine, neck, mood, sleep, etc.).

StageAimActivityGoal
1Symptom-limited activityDaily activities that do not provoke symptomsGradual reintroduction of social,
family, and team-related activities
2Introduction of
aerobic exercise
Stationary cycling at slow to medium pace,
limiting head movement. Introduction of
functional movement patterns in the 3-planer
motions; no resistance training
Increase heart rate
3Progression of
intensity and
duration
Interval training (e.g., stationary bike,
treadmill, elliptical, etc.) and light resistance
training
Establish capacity for cardiorespiratory exertion
4On-ice non-contact activityBegin with skating around the rink, with gradual progression of both intensity of exercise and magnitude of movement, with low risk of head impactEstablish capacity of sport-specific movement that involve progressively greater motion
5Non-contact drillsContinue with intensity established in the previous stage, but now add additional cognitive, sensory, and visual tracking burdens; this typically includes the involvement of coaches and/or teammates (e.g., puck handling, shooting, positional play). Off-ice activity includes introduction of resistance training and plyometricsEstablish sport-specific training with additional cognitive, sensory, and visual burden, plus exertion with resistance training
6Controlled body
contact
On-ice activity shall involve controlled body contact (e.g., with coaches or teammates) and cognitively complex drills simulating game situations.Restore confidence and assess functional skills by coaching staff
Once a Player diagnosed with concussion is determined by the Club Physician to be free of concussion-related symptoms at rest and upon exertion, the Player shall be referred to the Club's Consulting Neuropsychologist (or, if on the road, a Consulting Neuropsychologist from another team) for a post-concussion evaluation. This evaluation typically occurs prior to the Player engaging in on-ice activity involving controlled body contact, but must occur prior to returning to live game play. At a minimum, the Club's Consulting Neuropsychologist's post-injury evaluation shall consist of a clinical interview, and administration of ImPACT and the NHL Paper and Pencil neuropsychological test battery.

In order to facilitate this evaluation, Club Consulting Neuropsychologists should be advised as soon as a Player is diagnosed with a concussion. Club Consulting Neuropsychologists should be provided with baseline and post-injury SCAT5 data and narratives/reports of the acute medical evaluation, as well as subsequent symptom tracking for review as part of the post-injury assessment.

A Club Physician may request a neuropsychological evaluation prior to full symptom resolution when clinical reasons exist for doing so (e.g., prolonged recovery, complex clinical presentation).

Once complete, the Club Consulting Neuropsychologist shall convey the results of the evaluation to the Club Physician or Club Athletic Trainer (preferably both).

Although neuropsychological test data are very useful in assessing the neurocognitive sequelae of concussion, they should not be used in isolation to make the diagnosis of concussion or as the sole determinant for return-to-play.

VIII. RETURN TO PLAY

A Player may return to unrestricted play when: (1) there is complete recovery of concussion-related symptoms at rest; (2) there is no emergence of concussion-related symptoms at exertion levels required for competitive play and a graded return-to-play progression has been completed and (3) the Player has been judged by the Club's Physician to have returned to his neurological baseline and neurocognitive baseline following an evaluation by the Club Consulting neuropsychologist.

The Club Physician remains solely responsible for making return-to-play decisions based on these parameters, including in circumstances where the Player is referred to a consultant for management and treatment. Prior to making the return to play decision, the Club Physician shall ensure that all aspects of the Protocol have been satisfied, including referral and completion of a neuropsychological assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad