Injury Report: Ondrej Kase being evaluated for a concussion

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't even recall him taking a big hit the other night. At a certain point, he just needs to consider retiring. If he couldn't make it through a game like the other night, there's no way he's going to be able to make it through the stretch run, let alone the playoffs.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Glad they're taking this seriously. Hate it for Kase but it's not worth game 2 of an 82 game season to cause more damage to yourself. Sometimes you just gotta stop for your own sake. Get well and next man up!

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't even recall him taking a big hit the other night. At a certain point, he just needs to consider retiring. If he couldn't make it through a game like the other night, there's no way he's going to be able to make it through the stretch run, let alone the playoffs.

I remember him taking a pretty good hit. Wasn't to the head, but I immediately thought that with his history, I worry about any hits.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs fan coming in peace. Love the way Kase plays, but he’s had recurring injury and concussion issues. I hope he recovers fully, but honestly it might be time to retire. It sucks because he plays with such energy.

Reactions: Tryamw

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Just read this would be his 7th concussion and he’s only 26. For some reason I thought he was 30 already.

Seriously dude, hang ‘em up while you can still enjoy the rest of your life.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Just read this would be his 7th concussion and he’s only 26. For some reason I thought he was 30 already.

Seriously dude, hang ‘em up while you can still enjoy the rest of your life.
It's such a tough thing, though. One or two more seasons of NHL income could make a huge difference for his investment account and thus living standards for the rest of his life. For the big stars, one or two more seasons makes zero practical difference. For the scrubs and guys just off their ELC, one or two more seasons can be the difference between selling cars (or running crypto scams on twitter) or living on a modest but comfortable annuity and volunteering with the local youth hockey program for fun.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It's such a tough thing, though. One or two more seasons of NHL income could make a huge difference for his investment account and thus living standards for the rest of his life. For the big stars, one or two more seasons makes zero practical difference. For the scrubs and guys just off their ELC, one or two more seasons can be the difference between selling cars (or running crypto scams on twitter) or living on a modest but comfortable annuity and volunteering with the local youth hockey program for fun.

Kase has about 10.4 mil in estimated career earnings before taxes and fees and whatnot so if he’s been wise with his money he should be fine. Take some time to recuperate, travel, think about what he wants to do next etc. He can go back to school and have a normal life.

The risk doesn’t seem worth the reward.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
What immediately struck me when watching Kase live is how he skates with his torso leaned over the top of his skates moreso than other players. I said to myself, no wonder he gets so many concussions...his head goes into battle before the rest of his body.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
I don't mean to be crass here if you think a concussion requires a hard hit you really need to look into them more.....

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I get that people have their heart in the right place to say he should retire. I think it's worth considering for sure. But it's not as black and white as folks are making it. And we don't have nearly enough info to make that decision for him.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I get that people have their heart in the right place to say he should retire. I think it's worth considering for sure. But it's not as black and white as folks are making it. And we don't have nearly enough info to make that decision for him.

Curious what would be some of the arguments for continuing his career if this is his 7th concussion by age 26?

Reactions: chaz4hockey

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Curious what would be some of the arguments for continuing his career if this is his 7th concussion by age 26?
His arguments might range from continued financial security, as mentioned, playing the game he loves, and possibly the advice people that actually look in depth at his medical history give him (i.e., after x amount of time or given y severity of concussion, you might still be able to play).

Again, there are plenty of arguments to potentially quit as well. If he was given some amount of blessing to play after, say, concussion 4, 5, 6, I don't know that 7 is suddenly a magic breaking point for him or the medical professionals.

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
His arguments might range from continued financial security, as mentioned, playing the game he loves, and possibly the advice people that actually look in depth at his medical history give him (i.e., after x amount of time or given y severity of concussion, you might still be able to play).

Again, there are plenty of arguments to potentially quit as well. If he was given some amount of blessing to play after, say, concussion 4, 5, 6, I don't know that 7 is suddenly a magic breaking point for him or the medical professionals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad