Player Discussion Joel Edmundson

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
He had a good series and looked really good in game 7. Just 30 years old too. Surely bring him back if he signs at a discount.

More than anything about the game I feel pissed off we ruined his 5-0 game 7 record. This team will take any record that is good and break it and any records they set are bad like # of consecutive game 7 losses and any new precedent they set is always bad.

Don't know if he comes back or not but as fans we appreciate you doing your role this series. Can't ask for much more from a defensive dman.

Reactions: Eric bungay

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I would bring him back for sure.

McCabe - Benoit
Edmundson - Lilly

At the very least we know this is an ok bottom 4 on D. All should be affordable. Means maybe we can add one big money dman up front

Reactions: ruaware41

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i would like to resign him personally.

i kinda want zadorev too, who i feel could actually thrive in rielly's spot on PP1

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.17.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.17.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.17.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.18.10 PM.png

I'd like them to move on... brings nothing offensively either.

I am glad people want to double down on not scoring in the playoffs though.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I bet he didn't get anywhere near the same # of ozone starts as the rest so this doesn't mean anything. I'd much rather you post videos of goals against that were because of breakdown in position from him

I'm not going through videos of a #7 D, that is pointless.. if they re-sign him, I hope it is cheap and he is sitting in the pressbox by game 1 because we have upgraded, he is good depth, but hopefully not playing.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.36.52 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.37.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 12.37.41 PM.png

Not sheltered but not given the hard assignments, that went to Benoit/McCabe.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I'm not going through videos of a #7 D, that is pointless.. if they re-sign him, I hope it is cheap and he is sitting in the pressbox by game 1 because we have upgraded, he is good depth, but hopefully not playing.

View attachment 865413View attachment 865414View attachment 865415

Not sheltered but not given the hard assignments, that went to Benoit/McCabe.
How do a player's percentage here not add to 100 assuming it's looking at data based on starting after a whistle.

And maybe that's the problem with the Dubas fan club dekes. You guys would rather look at numbers on a screen than at goals and identify who caused the break downs. The Dubas approach hasn't worked.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's a big, physical, smart defenceman who never gets caught out of position.

That being said, he's slow and the puck is a grenade on his stick. There's going to be a time...very soon, he'll be too slow for the NHL.

I'd throw him a one year deal for low money and see if stays. But I'm not pressing it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How do a player's percentage here not add to 100 assuming it's looking at data based on starting after a whistle.

And maybe that's the problem with the Dubas fan club dekes. You guys would rather look at numbers on a screen than at goals and identify who caused the break downs. The Dubas approach hasn't worked.

Shockingly, you are correct, the rest are started on the fly, where a coach has less control over deployment.

No clue what your second paragraph is alluding to, you brought up zone starts, and I gave you numbers.

From the eye test as well, he was not good.

If you want to find videos of him being a rockstar and helping score or keep pucks out, go for it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would try to sign him and Lyubushkin to reasonable contract extensions.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Two year term max, would love to retain. Need more of this profile on the back end.

I’ve seen some bruins fans clamouring to sign this guy to stick next to Peeke.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If he is cheap depth, sure, but the guy is perpetually an injury waiting to happen.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
As long as the fancy stats crowd dislike him, I'd absolutely bring him back. They have zero ability on actually judging a player correctly. Told me Benoit isn't an NHL dman.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I already told you that I am not breaking down his plays, it is a waste of time on a #7 D. If you don't like that the results on the ice were negative when he was on, that's your issue.
You don't have to watch excessive tape on him. All you have to do is identify goals in this series where he was on the ice where it was because of his poor coverage. It's not like there were that many goals and it's all available on YouTube. I think we just view the game differently and won't change each other's view. I'm happy with treliving so far and the direction he seems to be taking this team and happy Dubas was canned.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You don't have to watch excessive tape on him. All you have to do is identify goals in this series where he was on the ice where it was because of his poor coverage. It's not like there were that many goals and it's all available on YouTube. I think we just view the game differently and won't change each other's view. I'm happy with treliving so far and the direction he seems to be taking this team and happy Dubas was canned.

Find me every goal he is on the ice for and I will.

We regressed this year, but glad you are happy.

As long as the fancy stats crowd dislike him, I'd absolutely bring him back. They have zero ability on actually judging a player correctly. Told me Benoit isn't an NHL dman.

You're going to be really upset when you learn Benoit had decent fancy stats and assuming most people liked him.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I remember when Matthews was better than the entire league because of 5v5 goals per 60 in games starting at 8:30pm on rainy Saturday nights.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Thinking I'd prefer to re-sign Lyubushkin (should be cheaper) while also bringing in someone else who can play somewhere in the top four.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Yep. Basically do the opposite of what Dekes, Notbias, and co want and we'd probably have a solid playoff team.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
If you can get him for cheap to play down the lineup, he's fine. I don't think he was amazing, but he also wasn't near bad. I just don't think he's the guy you overpay for. On the right deal for the bottom pairing role? Yes.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

You're going to be really upset when you learn Benoit had decent fancy stats and assuming most people liked him.
If you watched the games and distinctly remember thinking about when a goal was Edmundsons fault it should be very easy to say I remember in game x he didn't play xyz right on one of the goals. The fact you don't just says your approach is more about the spreadsheets and I'm glad the team got away from the Dubas mentality. I don't think we regressed much. We had injuries and horrible goal tending from Samsonov this series which should be fixable.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Doesn't matter if he had good fancy stats. When we signed him he had shit fancy stats. Apparently wasn't an NHL defenceman.

He's a good player. People who understand hockey knows he's a good player.

Fancy stats told us he's a shit player. Now they're telling us he's a good player.

Fancy stats don't tell us anything.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you watched the games and distinctly remember thinking about when a goal was Edmundsons fault it should be very easy to say I remember in game x he didn't play xyz right on one of the goals. The fact you don't just says your approach is more about the spreadsheets and I'm glad the team got away from the Dubas mentality. I don't think we regressed much. We had injuries and horrible goal tending from Samsonov this series which should be fixable.

Should be an easy offseason for Tre then. Bring everyone back minus Sammy.

Doesn't matter if he had good fancy stats. When we signed him he had shit fancy stats. Apparently wasn't an NHL defenceman.

He's a good player. People who understand hockey knows he's a good player.

Fancy stats told us he's a shit player. Now they're telling us he's a good player.

Fancy stats don't tell us anything.

"trust me bro"... always

You should tell all the cup winning teams to stop using fancy stats.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Thinking I'd prefer to re-sign Lyubushkin (should be cheaper) while also bringing in someone else who can play somewhere in the top four.
I agree.. He's not signing anywhere to be a 7th d. He's going to get as much money and term as he can.

He was decent, watching him jump in the rush in game 4 only to have the puck not leave the zone and JVR score... that hurt,

He did have some great corner battles, some PK work. So it's not like he sucked - all depend on money, term and role.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad