Recalled/Assigned: On the waivers: Greg Scott, Ryan Hamilton, Mike Mottau, Keith Aucoin

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
2 way contract has absolutely NOTHING to do with waiver eligibility, only about how much they are paid in the NHL vs the AHL.

Example: Orr has a 1-way contract, so he would get paid his 1 million whether he is in the NHL or AHL.

Ryan Hamilton has a 2-way contract, in the NHL he would make 525K this year, while in the AHL his salary would be 105K.

Ok, now that makes sense to me.

If that's the case, why would you bring so many people into camp if these rules apply? You risk losing a captain and a couple role players for 2 days of skating and a bit of competition.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ok, now that makes sense to me.

If that's the case, why would you bring so many people into camp if these rules apply? You risk losing a captain and a couple role players for 2 days of skating and a bit of competition.

I think it has nothing to do with them coming to Camp. I think now that the NHL is back and games will start, all players that are not waiver exempt will have to go through waivers to play in the AHL. I don't think Scott was ever at camp, was he?

The Canes put a bunch of guys on waivers today that were in the AHL and never came to camp, but they fully intend on having play in the AHL

HOCKEYGOON

Feb 27, 2002
The Penalty Box
Visit site
I may be out in left field here but I don't think players attending their parent club's training camp should need to clear waivers in order to be sent to their AHL affiliate. Does this happen in a regular length season as well where both leagues start off around the same time?

It's only fair for those players to get a chance to play in the NHL if a team is interested in letting them do so.

If there were no waivers teams would be suppressing NHL talent from other teams to nab.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I took the liberty to cut off the names. Greg Scott isn't on the list or I'm blind

2N5PL.jpg

unassisted

Oct 7, 2007
Other than the vets, who else in camp has to pass through waivers as that could determine the starting lineups.
Rielly exempt.
Kadri and Komorov should be exempt.
Pretty sure Mottau and Fraser have to pass waivers.
I think Holzer and Scrivens are no longer exempt either.
What about Frattin and Kostka?

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
It's only fair for those players to get a chance to play in the NHL if a team is interested in letting them do so.

If there were no waivers teams would be suppressing NHL talent from other teams to nab.

I understand that, I just find it odd that you'd have to clear waivers during training camp. If a player is called up/sent down during the season I get it just doesn't make sense during camp where teams are setting up their rosters.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I took the liberty to cut off the names. Greg Scott isn't on the list or I'm blind

2N5PL.jpg

I think out of this group, Kostka and Steckle are the most likely to be cut next.

Yes, Steckle is/was a Carlyle favourite but the fact is McClement has been brought in to do the same work at a higher level.

I just dont see any scenario where Randy C runs both David Steckle and McClement in the Bottom 6.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is it still a 23 man roster or did they increase because of the short camp?

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009

This. To give players a fair shot at making it on another team if they are talented enough for the NHL.

None of these players will get claimed... 29 other teams in the NHL are sending down players with similar skill sets. The only ones who will get claimed are young players who have "busted" or older NHL experienced vets who the claiming team thinks they might be able to save.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The Islanders are just claiming everyone now! It's all good, bigger roles can now be given to guys like McKegg, Kenny Ryan and Brad Ross

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Hurts the Marlies run. Marlies loes Frattin, Kadri, Aucoin, Kostka? Fraser?, Scrivens. Marlies are screwed

Gryph

Apr 3, 2009
Winnipeg
Is anyone familiar with the waiver rules for new CBA? if Aucoin gets set down at any point this season, do the Leafs have option to pick him back up?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anybody glad Aucoin got picked up?

This gives a young player, like McKegg, more playing time.

Aucoin brought experience and points but this isn't a bad thing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad