Recalled/Assigned: On the waivers: Greg Scott, Ryan Hamilton, Mike Mottau, Keith Aucoin

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date

Penalty Kill Icing*

Ha ha.. similar story to the guy in your avatar.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
None are potential Leafs.

Hamilton was awful in his Leafs debut last year, but then again it was one game. Hopefully he clears for the Marlies sake.

PasDaSquini

Apr 4, 2010
Zero get claimed. Nothing to surprising with these moves, it was expected from the beginning of camp.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Not surprised. I had a feeling Hamilton would impress and lock up the 4th line LW spot. Too bad he didn't, really like the guy.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I thought Hamilton was on a two way, I bet hes claimed.

I'll be the first one to say it, a two-way contract doesn't make you waiver exempt. It just means the player gets paid less when he's playing in the minors versus the NHL.

That being said, it would suck for the Marlies to lose their captain, but I don't think he'll be claimed.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I may be out in left field here but I don't think players attending their parent club's training camp should need to clear waivers in order to be sent to their AHL affiliate. Does this happen in a regular length season as well where both leagues start off around the same time?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I may be out in left field here but I don't think players attending their parent club's training camp should need to clear waivers in order to be sent to their AHL affiliate. Does this happen in a regular length season as well where both leagues start off around the same time?

I'm not sure what the specific rules of the new CBA, but I don't think that players actually get put on waivers unless they have a 1 year deal. The players that were mentioned here likely all have 2 way deals and wouldn't need to clear waivers.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Aucoin and Hamilton are huge parts of the Marlies so for the sake of what could be another Calder Cup contending team, hope they make it through.

Nobody should be claiming them for use in the NHL though.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
None are potential Leafs.

Hamilton was awful in his Leafs debut last year, but then again it was one game. Hopefully he clears for the Marlies sake.

What? He had a fine game. Completely decked Brandon Prust.

Hope Aucoin, Scott and Hamilton don't get claimed. Would especially suck to lose our captain. Here's hoping.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I'm not sure what the specific rules of the new CBA, but I don't think that players actually get put on waivers unless they have a 1 year deal. The players that were mentioned here likely all have 2 way deals and wouldn't need to clear waivers.

Gotcha, thanks.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

Karina pointed out that I didn't touch on how 2-way contracts affect waivers. Simply put, they don't. A 1-way or 2-way contract has no bearing on a player's waiver status, it dictates how much a player gets paid if they play in the AHL. I blame EA Sports for this misconception, because that's pretty much the only way they determine waivers in their game. (Hey EA, maybe instead of making sure that each person in the crowd has individual animations, you should focus on keeping your rosters as accurate as possible and making sure the salary cap actually works correctly.)

1/2way has no effect on waivers.

As I understand it the new CBA just removed re-entry waivers.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
What? He had a fine game. Completely decked Brandon Prust.

Hope Aucoin, Scott and Hamilton don't get claimed. Would especially suck to lose our captain. Here's hoping.
Wait, really?

He was fumbling the puck like crazy and noticeably couldn't keep up with the speed of the game.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Anyone have a list of the initial attendees and updating it as people are sent down?

The initial list:

428066_10151381693645199_1182424948_n.jpg

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
Basically the only guys who don't have to clear waivers are players on entry level contracts. This facilitates their development and allows a team to see what they have without risking losing it. As soon as a guy signs his second deal he is no longer waiver exempt. As has been noted, the only time guys can be claimed now is when they are being sent down.

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
It's weird they're reporting Scott is being sent down, because I don't think he was ever at camp...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

1/2way has no effect on waivers.

As I understand it the new CBA just removed re-entry waivers.

That doesn't make sense to me. There are 2 different contracts that a player can make. The one at the AHL level and NHL level.

So what it would mean is that each time a player gets called up or called down, they would have the potential to get claimed regardless of contract status (ELC exempt)? Maybe I'm missing something and I haven't read the full article there, so maybe it will say, but I was always of the understanding that if you have a 2 way contract, then you are able to move up and down freely. And that would mean why Ranger only had an AHL contract and couldn't even get an invite to camp.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
That doesn't make sense to me. There are 2 different contracts that a player can make. The one at the AHL level and NHL level.

So what it would mean is that each time a player gets called up or called down, they would have the potential to get claimed regardless of contract status (ELC exempt)? Maybe I'm missing something and I haven't read the full article there, so maybe it will say, but I was always of the understanding that if you have a 2 way contract, then you are able to move up and down freely. And that would mean why Ranger only had an AHL contract and couldn't even get an invite to camp.

2 way contract has absolutely NOTHING to do with waiver eligibility, only about how much they are paid in the NHL vs the AHL.

Example: Orr has a 1-way contract, so he would get paid his 1 million whether he is in the NHL or AHL.

Ryan Hamilton has a 2-way contract, in the NHL he would make 525K this year, while in the AHL his salary would be 105K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad