Olympic qualification - Vojens 7-10 february

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah we would need +10.000 players instead of 4.000 players to change that around.
The top hockey nations just have so much more skillfull players.

And 10k players is nothing unrealistics,all it takes is the right economic situation in Europe,as hockey is very expensive sport and ofc good exposure to the sport itself (games on tv,olympics,hosting the wc,etc)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
And 10k players is nothing unrealistics,all it takes is the right economic situation in Europe,as hockey is very expensive sport and ofc good exposure to the sport itself (games on tv,olympics,hosting the wc,etc)

Danish hockey just lost 6.2 million danish kroner (1.1 mil dollars) from Team Denmark which they would have got with qualification to Sochi.
No result and the money could be cut...very bad for long term hockey development.
No OG could stall our development seriously. I hope someone give them a longer leash, but with 2 flops in a row :help:
If Denmark/Latvia doesn't get 2017 WC, then it looks more and more bleak. A WC at home could be the excuse to renovate or build some more rinks.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Danish hockey just lost 6.2 million danish kroner (1.1 mil dollars) from Team Denmark which they would have got with qualification to Sochi.
No result and the money could be cut...very bad for long term hockey development.
No OG could stall our development seriously. I hope someone give them a longer leash, but with 2 flops in a row :help:
If Denmark/Latvia doesn't get 2017 WC, then it looks more and more bleak. A WC at home could be the excuse to renovate or build some more rinks.

Yeah well we got in,but i havent heard of latvian gov. Giving money to our youth hockey,damnit Latvia :shakehead:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Maybe Denmark and Latvia should form a National Team consisting of both our countries.
Then Republic og Denvia! Or Latmark :D

Then we could have 4 solid lines :P

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Maybe Denmark and Latvia should form a National Team consisting of both our countries.
Then Republic og Denvia! Or Latmark :D

Then we could have 4 solid lines :P

Totally :D i wonder how would the lineup look? :D only problem is mentality we both are different kind of northerners :D

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Totally :D i wonder how would the lineup look? :D only problem is mentality we both are different kind of northerners :D

The lineup would be sick :D Allot of shuffable players on both teams :D

Actually, I find Latvians to be very pleasant, at my university, DTU there are tonnes of students from the baltics, and I get along really well with the Latvians. We play allot of fusball together with the Latvians.

One of the guys in my workgroup is Latvian:) I think we think much alike.
Ofcourse most of the guys on my campus, are Latvian, Latvians and not from the Russian "minority" so I don't know if we would be compatible with the "Russians" :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
The lineup would be sick :D Allot of shuffable players on both teams :D

Actually, I find Latvians to be very pleasant, at my university, DTU there are tonnes of students from the baltics, and I get along really well with the Latvians. We play allot of fusball together with the Latvians.

One of the guys in my workgroup is Latvian:) I think we think much alike.
Ofcourse most of the guys on my campus, are Latvian, Latvians and not from the Russian "minority" so I don't know if we would be compatible with the "Russians" :D

Well i may get the wrong impression,but i always viewed Danes these chilll "no need to hurry" kind of people,i would say we are more hot headed and tempered :laugh:
Also Latmark would be sick,because our prospect pool would be huge -Ehlers,Bukarts,Lipsbers,Bjokstrand,Girgensons , Blugers,Nicklas Jensen(is he still prospect?)

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Also VikingNuck if you want to suprise your Latvian buddies,greet them in latvian with common phrases which are not hard to pronaunce for foreigners like "sveiki" or "labdien"(which means hi,hello) or ka iet? (how your doing?) :D

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well i may get the wrong impression,but i always viewed Danes these chilll "no need to hurry" kind of people,i would say we are more hot headed and tempered :laugh:

I think that is true for most of us, but I find most Latvians to be true to themselves and very honest, and that is something that wins the hearts of us danes :) Plus I might be a bit less chill than other danes being half Canadian, and having lived half my life in Canada. My Danish friends always say im the one with the biggest temper :sarcasm:

Also VikingNuck if you want to suprise your Latvian buddies,greet them in latvian with common phrases which are not hard to pronaunce for foreigners like "sveiki" or "labdien"(which means hi,hello) or ka iet? (how your doing?) :D

Haha ill have to remember that one then.. If I can pronounce it properly:D

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Also Latmark would be sick,because our prospect pool would be huge -Ehlers,Bukarts,Lipsbers,Bjokstrand,Girgensons , Blugers,Nicklas Jensen(is he still prospect?)

WOOOW im getting hot flashes just thinking of this!

If just Denmark and Latvia could get some agreement in place, and we could develop prospects together and have ONE HELL of a Danish Latvian KHL team :D

Yeah Jensen is still a prospect :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I think that is true for most of us, but I find most Latvians to be true to themselves and very honest, and that is something that wins the hearts of us danes :) Plus I might be a bit less chill than other danes being half Canadian, and having lived half my life in Canada. My Danish friends always say im the one with the biggest temper :sarcasm:

Haha ill have to remember that one then.. If I can pronounce it properly:D

You really cant pronounce "Sveiki" wrong it sounds just like it spells :)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
WOOOW im getting hot flashes just thinking of this!

If just Denmark and Latvia could get some agreement in place, and we could develop prospects together and have ONE HELL of a Danish Latvian KHL team :D

Yeah Jensen is still a prospect :D

Taking in the account that of all "small" hockey nations we are the best at producing quality prospects in recent years (just looking at that u-18 tournament) that pool would be awesome.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You really cant pronounce "Sveiki" wrong it sounds just like it spells :)

I'll have to give it a go then :D

Taking in the account that of all "small" hockey nations we are the best at producing quality prospects in recent years (just looking at that u-18 tournament) that pool would be awesome.

Definitely... No doubt about it... The u18 pool is very deep and good.

ill be cheering for you in the U18 WJC and ill be rooting for Denmark Ditto in the div 1 WJC, were they have to be the favourites. They have also beaten Slovakia and SUI this U18 team.. so they are not just on a FLuke.. And the Latvians are IMO a legitimate top8 team at U18.. Really strong year you guys have

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I'll have to give it a go then :D

Definitely... No doubt about it... The u18 pool is very deep and good.

ill be cheering for you in the U18 WJC and ill be rooting for Denmark Ditto in the div 1 WJC, were they have to be the favourites. They have also beaten Slovakia and SUI this U18 team.. so they are not just on a FLuke.. And the Latvians are IMO a legitimate top8 team at U18.. Really strong year you guys have

And the best part at that now infamous U-18 tourney we lacked 5 good players,which could be the potential leaders. Also i`ll be cheering for you guys too,after this OG dissapoitnment you deserve some good news and getting back to u-18 elite is always good news :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
And the best part at that now infamous U-18 tourney we lacked 5 good players,which could be the potential leaders. Also i`ll be cheering for you guys too,after this OG dissapoitnment you deserve some good news and getting back to u-18 elite is always good news :)

Im really hoping you guys make a few upsets :D

Yeah, it would be nice with some good hockeynews.. it's been a while.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Any Danes playing in NHL tonight?:laugh: maybe that could be some source of good news from time to time.

Yeah, Tonight Frans Nielsen and Mikkel Boedker are playing :D Im really hoping we see Boedkers true potential soon :)

Frans has been getting allot of minus games this season, something that used to be his biggest streanght (great +-) is now pretty lackluster...

Hopefully we see something great tonight, but i wouldn't bet on it :help:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah, Tonight Frans Nielsen and Mikkel Boedker are playing :D Im really hoping we see Boedkers true potential soon :)

Frans has been getting allot of minus games this season, something that used to be his biggest streanght (great +-) is now pretty lackluster...

Hopefully we see something great tonight, but i wouldn't bet on it :help:

I really like Boedker,loved how he played last year for phoenix.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Maybe its the fear of beeing selfish?as Justinov has informed me, Danish players get shunned for "not playing the teammates" :D

Justinov is right, the Danish mentality gives us some brain blockers, some are good and some are bad. But danish players across all sports are often pass first players.

Boedker, Nielsen, Eller, Regin. Hansen shoots allot soo he is a bit unorthodox, but he is also married to a Canadian, and has adapted well to NA.

In Soccer we have Eriksen, a very big talent with a great shot, but he seldomly shoots.

And as we saw in this years Handball WC final, the same is the case there. They would rather pass, than take the responsibility of shooting and maybe not scoring.

Danes are always taught to think of the team and not the individual, so I guess it is very deeply imprinted in the Danes that grew up in Denmark.

And to let down your team, is like letting down your family.

Guys like Jensen and Björkstrand, shoot allot, but they have NA dads.

In soccer we have Bendtner that shoots allot but never scores, he is a case of too much confidence, very rare for a dane :D

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Justinov is right, the Danish mentality gives us some brain blockers, some are good and some are bad. But danish players across all sports are often pass first players.

Boedker, Nielsen, Eller, Regin. Hansen shoots allot soo he is a bit unorthodox, but he is also married to a Canadian, and has adapted well to NA.

In Soccer we have Eriksen, a very big talent with a great shot, but he seldomly shoots.

And as we saw in this years Handball WC final, the same is the case there. They would rather pass, than take the responsibility of shooting and maybe not scoring.

Danes are always taught to think of the team and not the individual, so I guess it is very deeply imprinted in the Danes that grew up in Denmark.

And to let down your team, is like letting down your family.

Guys like Jensen and Björkstrand, shoot allot, but they have NA dads.

In soccer we have Bendtner that shoots allot but never scores, he is a case of too much confidence, very rare for a dane :D

Yep totally correct. When I was playing team sport as a kid (handball & field hockey mostly) I was always playing to win and score as many goals as possible. It often ended with critic from the coaches/parents that I didn't include the other players enough.

Apparently many on my team played for "fun". I could never understand that as a kid -> Sport was "life and death". So I slowly begun to include other players and pass to them (being totally frustrated inside when they missed), but since I was taking out to the bench if I complained to loudly of their missed opportunities I "learned" to shut up and play "the team game" - meaning including everyone.

[Not that I was an anti-team player, I would always pass to a player I knew was good and could score - but wouldn't it be against the team to pass to a player that might lose the ball if it was a tight match??].

Off course over time you lose the finishing edge when you dont train it all the time and I ended up more and more as a passing player. As a kid I always played either goalie or attack (where win or loss is decided)...as adult I had ended up as a midfielder :laugh:

But you adapt to your own culture....that's why danish players have good team spirit, are defensively responsible but have finishing problems.
Especially as you say vikingnuck in the end of important games. No one dares to finish and letting the team down.
Why don't they all think: "It's decided now and I can be the national hero if I score - give me the ball".
Instead they all think "If I dont score I have let the team down and they will blame me". It's the fear of losing that overcomes the joy of winning.
Those who are half-danish have a "parent-shielding" in some way where they can be backed up at home to continue playing their own style.

Anyone else have experienced the same??

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yep totally correct. When I was playing team sport as a kid (handball & field hockey mostly) I was always playing to win and score as many goals as possible. It often ended with critic from the coaches/parents that I didn't include the other players enough.

Apparently many on my team played for "fun". I could never understand that as a kid -> Sport was "life and death". So I slowly begun to include other players and pass to them (being totally frustrated inside when they missed), but since I was taking out to the bench if I complained to loudly of their missed opportunities I "learned" to shut up and play "the team game" - meaning including everyone.

[Not that I was an anti-team player, I would always pass to a player I knew was good and could score - but wouldn't it be against the team to pass to a player that might lose the ball if it was a tight match??].

Off course over time you lose the finishing edge when you dont train it all the time and I ended up more and more as a passing player. As a kid I always played either goalie or attack (where win or loss is decided)...as adult I had ended up as a midfielder :laugh:

But you adapt to your own culture....that's why danish players have good team spirit, are defensively responsible but have finishing problems.
Especially as you say vikingnuck in the end of important games. No one dares to finish and letting the team down.
Why don't they all think: "It's decided now and I can be the national hero if I score - give me the ball".
Instead they all think "If I dont score I have let the team down and they will blame me". It's the fear of losing that overcomes the joy of winning.
Those who are half-danish have a "parent-shielding" in some way where they can be backed up at home to continue playing their own style.

Anyone else have experienced the same??

Totally unrelated question,is this the reason Justinov you got into hockey? Have you ever played ice hockey yourself?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00