Olympic 2018 Possible Rosters (25 man) if nhl players going

If NHL players playing in Olympic RUSSIA HOCKEY team fail again or not?

• Total voters

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I suspect that Russia would be more dangerous than in 2014. Still part of that group with USA and Sweden. I lean toward in fourth on paper due to defence, and as noted coaching isn't a strength. Russia would probably at least make the semi finals though, and from that point who knows what happens. I expect that if there is NHL participation in 2022 Russia will be a significantly bigger threat with some top level defencemen.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I suspect that Russia would be more dangerous than in 2014. Still part of that group with USA and Sweden. I lean toward in fourth on paper due to defence, and as noted coaching isn't a strength. Russia would probably at least make the semi finals though, and from that point who knows what happens. I expect that if there is NHL participation in 2022 Russia will be a significantly bigger threat with some top level defencemen.
You 100% right. Big russian problem lousy coaching. Russian Defs have not bad level skills for top tournamets.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They're in the mix like in every best-on-best tournament.

They rely more on their goaltender than most of the elite teams because of the current state of their defence, but if any of their goalies was really solid for the tournament, there's nothing preventing them from winning.

In 2022, their young defence would be more mature and solid but some of their forwards would be getting a bit old.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
They're in the mix like in every best-on-best tournament.

They rely more on their goaltender than most of the elite teams because of the current state of their defence, but if any of their goalies was really solid for the tournament, there's nothing preventing them from winning.

In 2022, their young defence would be more mature and solid but some of their forwards would be getting a bit old.
What do you think about team canada in 2022?)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What do you think about team canada in 2022?)

Canada is tough to call - it's pretty far away.

It's even harder to tell because we didn't see this year's team, so we don't know how the transition from the 2010-2014 team is happening.

A lot of the guys who won Gold in 2014 won't be on the team for sure:
-Luongo
-Smith
-Getzlaf
-Perry
-St. Louis
-Carter
-Duchene
-Sharp
-Marleau
-Weber
-Nash
-Keith
-Hamhuis
-Bouwmeester
-Vlasic

I'm sure there are plenty of rosters out there that HFers put together for 2018 and 2022.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Duchene could be there, I think its obviously important to factor in age which would basically rule out anyone older than Crosby with maybe 1 or two exceptions. I think you would be looking at Doughty and Pietrangelo and being the older D men on the team as well.

As for the original question, I think if NHLers went russia would get destroyed. They always have a world class offense but the Blue Line would be pretty far behind the US, Sweden, and Canada.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As for the original question, I think if NHLers went russia would get destroyed. They always have a world class offense but the Blue Line would be pretty far behind the US, Sweden, and Canada.

By 2022, a lot of those defencemen are going to be in their prime, but some of their forwards are going to be older.

I think 2022 still might be their best shot in a best-on-best situation.

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Love to see what other people think it would've been - I'm thinking something like this would've been fun to watch:

Kane-Matthews-Wheeler
Gaudreau-Eichel-Kessel
Pacioretty-Trocheck-Boeser
Tkachuk-T. Johnson-Oshie

McDonagh-Jones
Suter-Carlson
Werenski-Byfuglien

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

Obviously a lot of different ways you can go with this. I'm probably forgetting at least one important player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd use pretty much your forwards, maybe move Boeser up.

For D, gotta have McAvoy in there IMO. I'd put him over Carlson pretty easily.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just a guess, but I suspect that USA would still (stupidly) have gone with a roster older than that in the OP. I will say though that if the world's best are at the 2022 Olympics the American team projects to be a very big threat.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Gaudreau - Matthews - Boeser
Kane - Eichel - Kessel
Larkin - Trocheck - Wheeler
Tkachuk - Kesler - Pavelski

McDonagh - Jones
Gostisbehere- Carlson
Werenski - Byfuglien

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

This team would be on par with Canada IMO. Would be a total coin flip between the 2 for who wins the gold medal

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
we did this right before the Olympics as well..

if everything went the way it should have and competent team GM was in place to pick and speedy and younger team, mine would look like :

Auston Matthews
Jack Eichel
Patrick Kane
Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau
Blake Wheeler
Joe Pavelski
Max Paciorrety
Brock Boeser
Jason Zucker
Phil "The Thrill" Kessel
Vincent Trocheck
Dylan Larkin
Anders Lee

Ryan Suter
Ryan McDonagh
John Carlson
Seth Jones
Zach Werenski
Charlie McAvoy
Jaccob Slavin

Jon Quick
John Gibson
Connor Hellebuyck

Extras - Tyler Johnson, Shayne Gostisbehere, T.J Oshie

Lines

Gaudreau - Matthews - Kane
Lee - Eichel - Kessel
Boeser - Trocheck - Wheeler
Pacioretty - Larkin - Pavelski
Zucker

Suter - McDonagh
Jones - Werenski
Carlson - McAvoy
Slavin

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As usual they'd leave out some important offensive players for some grinding scrubs. At least USA is producing skilled centers finally. They would have been one of 5 or so teams with a chance at gold, but Canada is the favourite until proven otherwise. Too bad we didn't get it this year, could have been an epic tourney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad