Olympic 2018 Possible Rosters (25 man) if nhl players going

If NHL players playing in Olympic RUSSIA HOCKEY team fail again or not?

• Total voters

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You think Lee can keep up with Eichel and Kane on the big ice?

I want Lee on this team 100%, just not sure he is the best player to partner with those two here. I thought Lee was a bit disappointing last year at the WC, but he is used to playing with top talent in NYI just though Gaudreau would be playing with Kane - that would be a sight to behold.

I didn't put a ton of thought into the line combinations, but in an imaginary scenario where the NHL actually participates in the Olympics, I like to dream it's on NHL ice since it's better hockey and in that world Lee's skating isn't an issue.

Lee would probably fit better with Auston's game. I don't like the idea of pairing Kane and Gaudreau though. I'm not opposed to it, but they each excel when they have the puck on their stick a lot and can drive the offense. I'm not sure there's enough puck to go around for both of them on the same line.

I'd be just as happy with this top 6 as I am with the one I originally posted:

Johnny Gaudreau - Jack Eichel - Blake Wheeler
Anders Lee - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I didn't put a ton of thought into the line combinations, but in an imaginary scenario where the NHL actually participates in the Olympics, I like to dream it's on NHL ice since it's better hockey and in that world Lee's skating isn't an issue.

Lee would probably fit better with Auston's game. I don't like the idea of pairing Kane and Gaudreau though. I'm not opposed to it, but they each excel when they have the puck on their stick a lot and can drive the offense. I'm not sure there's enough puck to go around for both of them on the same line.

I'd be just as happy with this top 6 as I am with the one I originally posted:

Johnny Gaudreau - Jack Eichel - Blake Wheeler
Anders Lee - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane

Honestly, it is just sick to think what this team could have looked like if they went. Hopefully in 2022 we can go and add a few newer names as well.

Lee can likely float around all over the place, the guy scores goals, I am sure he would find a way on whatever line.

I actually switched Eichel and Matthews on my lines, Eichel is more pass first so I thought he would work better with Kessel and Boeser over Kane and Gaudreau.

I just want to see Kane and Gaudreau on the same line together for the sight of it alone! I think we would have one hell of a power-play with those two guys out there together.

Solid team regardless.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
20170720-00073494-roupeiro-000-39-view.jpg

HawkeyIntangibles: Olympic 2018 Rosters - What could have been (hyperlink)

That USA defensive squad is filthy oh my

Great article

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That USA defensive squad is filthy oh my

Great article

Thanks! In hindsight, there are a couple guys on each team I may add/subtract.

Team USA was fun to build but every roster felt like 1-2 guys were missing off it.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Thanks! In hindsight, there are a couple guys on each team I may add/subtract.

Team USA was fun to build but every roster felt like 1-2 guys were missing off it.

I could see the Slavin - Pesce making the team but I understand why you wouldn't include them as well. USA's def core is so deep

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Honestly, it is just sick to think what this team could have looked like if they went. Hopefully in 2022 we can go and add a few newer names as well.

Lee can likely float around all over the place, the guy scores goals, I am sure he would find a way on whatever line.

I actually switched Eichel and Matthews on my lines, Eichel is more pass first so I thought he would work better with Kessel and Boeser over Kane and Gaudreau.

I just want to see Kane and Gaudreau on the same line together for the sight of it alone! I think we would have one hell of a power-play with those two guys out there together.

Solid team regardless.

Yeah. It just feels like a massive missed opportunity as we would have fielded our biggest gold medal threat in a long while. Canada would have still been the prohibitive favorite, but our team would have at least been exciting to watch regardless of the outcome.

As a USAH fan that came to age with the '96 World Cup team, my international hockey fandom started on a pretty good high, but it's been a lot of disappointment ever since: the embarrassment in Nagano, the missed golds in '02 and '10, and the World Cup duds in '04 and '16, not to mention the perpetual world championship sideshow. We're finally producing top end talent across the board, and while it may have been 2 years too early with some of the youth, it would have been fun to watch nonetheless. Thanks, Bettman and the IIHF.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah. It just feels like a massive missed opportunity as we would have fielded our biggest gold medal threat in a long while. Canada would have still been the prohibitive favorite, but our team would have at least been exciting to watch regardless of the outcome.

As a USAH fan that came to age with the '96 World Cup team, my international hockey fandom started on a pretty good high, but it's been a lot of disappointment ever since: the embarrassment in Nagano, the missed golds in '02 and '10, and the World Cup duds in '04 and '16, not to mention the perpetual world championship sideshow. We're finally producing top end talent across the board, and while it may have been 2 years too early with some of the youth, it would have been fun to watch nonetheless. Thanks, Bettman and the IIHF.

For me it was the 1991 Canada Cup. Just a kid when my dad dragged me in front of the tv to watch that entire Cup series. I just fell in love with the jerseys team USA wore, the event itself, and how passionate the fans were as the games were obviously in Canada. (though some exhibition games were in the US).

It was the start for USA Hockey on the world stage for professional players - that was the tournament where the rest of the world saw what was coming. That team had a lot of talent, but still paled in comparison to Canada. I remember having all my 1990 upper deck cards of the actual players laid out so I can have the roster in front of me for every game...I had all of team USA's lines set up, goalie and defense pairings set as well...I loved it. I even had the 91' USA Jersey that my dad got for me just in-time for the tournament to start. Wore it every damn game!

I remember right before the tournament started Darren Turcotte broke his wrist or something like that, and boy that was a massive loss for us as he was a young stud 30 goal scorer at the time. I had to remove his card from my team and I think I was pissed for like 2 days lol!

That team was also without two of the very best players in Kevin Stevens and Phil Housley who both did not play due to contracts....and the wild man Al Iafrate who was hurt at the time...man if those guys were there, I think we could have taken Canada to 3 games and won one of them at least. Stevens at that time was an absolute beast, and with Housley and Iafrate there we could have removed Wolanin, Jim Johnson or Weinrich from that roster.

I just loved that team and how Badger Bob Johnson started off coaching the team but was battling cancer and couldn't finish it. He passed shortly after, but those guys played their hearts out for him and got to the Gold.

Down the middle we had - Lafontaine, Roenick, Modano, Janney, and Otto - yep, that was awesome!!! Haven't seen a group like that in 20 years. Lafontaine was in his prime, and Roenick and Modano were coming off massive years, well Roenick definitely was.

You just saw that the Americans were starting to become a contender, and then like you said 1996 World Cup comes and that was by far the greatest hockey I have ever seen. Our best overall group of talent ever assembled even without Roenick.

What this 2018 Olympic team could have been reminds me a bit of that squad without all the snarl and muscle of Tkachuk, Guerin, Deadmarsh, etc... This team had that mix of vets and youth, top 30 scorers and All-Star players at every position. It is a damn shame what happened as we could soon be witnessing some amazing hockey and likely watching one of the most talented US teams ever.

It does sicken me with what Bettman and the IIHF did here as well...we the fans get screwed, especially the US fans as we finally have a team to contend again. Now my hopes turn to the World Championship and all of us discussing if R.J Umberger is going to decline yet again while he earns a 3rd degree in Sanskrit!!

Sorry for the rant, good to talk about the glory days of USA Hockey on here. and how far we have come.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-McDavid-Seguin
Giroux-Toews-O`reilly
Hall-Tavares-Stamkos
Getzlaf
Mackinon(scratch till healed)

Doughty-Keith
Vlasic-Burns
Pietrangelo-Subban
Parayko
Rielly(healthy scratch)

Price(Starter)
Holtby
Crawford(Scratch)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
this would be mine.

with Mackinnon out and Scheifele due back, Mark gets his spot with J.T. and Stammer. If Scheifele isn't good to go, then Getzlaf is next up.

and contrary to a certain USA Today article, I don't give the U.S. much of a chance in beating this team. a small chance. in 2022, however. things may be a little more even odds.

B MARCHAND

S CROSBY

P BERGERON

J BENN

C MCDAVID

T SEGUIN

S STAMKOS

J TAVARES

*M SCHEIFELE

J SCHWARTZ

S COUTURIER

C GIROUX
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J HUBERDEAU *R GETZLAF
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M.E. VLASIC

D DOUGHTY

M RIELLY

A PIETRANGELO

D KEITH

P.K. SUBBAN

B BURNS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

B HOLTBY

C PRICE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: JHockey123

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Stamkos - McDavid - Hall
Bergeron - Crosby - Mackinnon
Benn - Getzlaf - Tavares
Schiefele - Seguin - Marchand

Subban - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Burns
Ekblad - Theodore

Price
Holtby

Any way you want to play. Big, cool, fast- we got you, Gritty- no problem.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Stamkos - McDavid - Hall
Bergeron - Crosby - Mackinnon
Benn - Getzlaf - Tavares
Schiefele - Seguin - Marchand

Subban - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Burns
Ekblad - Theodore

Price
Holtby

Any way you want to play. Big, cool, fast- we got you, Gritty- no problem.

No way Theodore and Ekblad make it. There are much better options in Parayko, Hamilton, and Rielly when it comes to younger defensemen in terms of which one has the best chance of making it.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Bizarro Olympics: The could-have-been rosters for Canada and Team USA | The Hockey News
Hockeynews came out with what I think is one of the worst versions of Team Canada they could have thought of...

First line: Nathan MacKinnon – Sidney Crosby – Steven Stamkos
Second line: Taylor Hall – Connor McDavid – Claude Giroux
Third line: Mathew Barzal – John Tavares – Josh Bailey
Fourth line: Brayden Schenn – Sean Couturier – Jonathan Huberdeau
Extra: Jonathan Marchessault
(Notable omissions: Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand, Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, Sean Monahan, Jaden Schwartz, Logan Couture)

*They didnt even include Giroux as a notable omission lmao. How are Baily, Barzal, Huberdeau and Schenn making it over guys like Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin and Benn.
Defensemen
Mobility, offense and power play quarterbacks galore. Canada's defense corps features big shooters on the top pairing, a couple of Kings on the second tandem, and smooth-skating, all-around efficiency on the third unit.
First pair: P.K. Subban – Brent Burns
Second pair: Drew Doughty – Jake Muzzin
Third pair: Alex Pietrangelo – Morgan Rielly
Extra: Kris Letang
(Notable omissions: Duncan Keith, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Aaron Ekblad, Tyson Barrie, Dougie Hamilton)

Goalies
What, no Carey Price?! Nope, no Carey Price. Give Canada's crease to Braden Holtby, with Mike Smith as the backup and Devan Dubnyk in reserve.
Starter: Braden Holtby
Backup: Mike Smith
Extra: Devan Dubnyk
(Notable omissions: Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bizarro Olympics: The could-have-been rosters for Canada and Team USA | The Hockey News
Hockeynews came out with what I think is one of the worst versions of Team Canada they could have thought of...

First line: Nathan MacKinnon – Sidney Crosby – Steven Stamkos
Second line: Taylor Hall – Connor McDavid – Claude Giroux
Third line: Mathew Barzal – John Tavares – Josh Bailey
Fourth line: Brayden Schenn – Sean Couturier – Jonathan Huberdeau
Extra: Jonathan Marchessault
(Notable omissions: Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand, Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, Sean Monahan, Jaden Schwartz, Logan Couture)

*They didnt even include Giroux as a notable omission lmao. How are Baily, Barzal, Huberdeau and Schenn making it over guys like Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin and Benn.
Defensemen
Mobility, offense and power play quarterbacks galore. Canada's defense corps features big shooters on the top pairing, a couple of Kings on the second tandem, and smooth-skating, all-around efficiency on the third unit.
First pair: P.K. Subban – Brent Burns
Second pair: Drew Doughty – Jake Muzzin
Third pair: Alex Pietrangelo – Morgan Rielly
Extra: Kris Letang
(Notable omissions: Duncan Keith, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Aaron Ekblad, Tyson Barrie, Dougie Hamilton)

Goalies
What, no Carey Price?! Nope, no Carey Price. Give Canada's crease to Braden Holtby, with Mike Smith as the backup and Devan Dubnyk in reserve.
Starter: Braden Holtby
Backup: Mike Smith
Extra: Devan Dubnyk
(Notable omissions: Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury)

I saw that article and felt second hand embarrassment. I am sure that the average poster on these forums could easily come up with a better roster than this guy did (though Giroux is on the team). He clearly just looked at the top scorers and that was pretty much it. Players are out of position, no attempt at chemistry. Horrible.

I expect that team Canada in 2018 may have been an outlier among Canadian teams and gelled together quite quickly. At this point there has been a consistent enough core that many guys have had chances to play together. For instance, Crosby has played successfully on a line with Bergeron, Marchand and Hall before or Giroux has played successfully on a line with Stamkos, Seguin and O'Reilly. It could have been a very experienced and versatile team.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Man, Both Team Canada and USA would have had equally impressive rosters. Being Canadian, there's no shame in admitting that the U.S will be a powerhouse in the next Olympics if the NHL participates.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
what are the chances Mackinon or Schfele would have played cause of their injuries. I know Mackinon has been out a week or 2 and is already skating.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Russia roster

Vasilevsky,Bobrovsky,Sorokin

Gusev-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Ovechkin-Kuznetzov-Radulov
Panarin-Malkin-Tarasenko
Dadonov-Anisimov-Bucnevich
Kaprizov/Tkachyov

Zaytsev-Provorov
Orlov-Voinov
Sergachyov-Tryamkin
Zadorov

Last edited:

Blue prez

May 9, 2017
The Roster is better than the 2014's one. Nice depth in offense, finally some good D-men, top goalies.
I think this team would be on par with Russia-02. Of course, it lacks star defencemen, but goaltending and offensive power should compensate this.
All in all, this team could compete even with the US and Canada. But it's on paper.

Coaching is the question.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Russia roster

Vasilevsky,Bobrovsky,Sorokin

Gusev-Namestnikov-Kucherov
Ovechkin-Kuznetzov-Radulov
Panarin-Malkin-Tarasenko
Dadonov-Anisimov-Bucnevich
Kaprizov/Tkachyov

Zaytsev-Provorov
Orlov-Voinov
Sergachyov-Tryamkin
Zadorov
You mean Datsyuk, Kovalchuk would not play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad