Olympic 2018 Possible Rosters (25 man) if nhl players going

If NHL players playing in Olympic RUSSIA HOCKEY team fail again or not?

• Total voters

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I did say the rosters were the most controversial part ;)

I had a lot of fun with the US team. They would be co-favourites with Canada for me. Lobbying for a Kessel entry on the roster is fair. I had him on my original roster but when I trimmed down he didn't make the cut.

I debated long and hard about doing a Finland entry as well in the post as well but it already seemed to long and I was unsure how they would stack up. Traditionally they punch above their weight but didn't do so well at the World Cup recently.

I had lots of fun making the US team, even as a Canadian. The US hasn't been loaded with this much talent since the 90s when they had Modano, Roenick, Leetch and all of them. They're loaded on offense and have a sturdy blue line that would certainly excel under Laviolette and have good goaltending too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I had lots of fun making the US team, even as a Canadian. The US hasn't been loaded with this much talent since the 90s when they had Modano, Roenick, Leetch and all of them. They're loaded on offense and have a sturdy blue line that would certainly excel under Laviolette and have good goaltending too.

Yeah there was a lot of defenseman that I was surprised I didn't even have on the team. Russia was also interesting. Great forward group (centre depth a little suspect after 1-3), great goaltending but very shaky defense.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Homer vote for Leddy to get some love for USA. Glad Lee was noticed though. Overall I think the rosters look good.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As Hockey Canada is announcing its Olympic roster today, here is my lineup for a best on best Olympics, if such a thing was happening:

Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Tavares Stamkos
Giroux O’Reilly MacKinnon
Toews, Stone

Vlasic Doughty
Rielly Pietrangelo
Giordano Subban
Burns, Hamilton

Price
Crawford
Holtby

Keep in mind that this is what I would want, not what I think that Hockey Canada would do. I think that Hockey Canada would include Getzlaf and Keith, at the very least, since Hockey Canada tends to be conservative. Regarding injury, I am considering Scheifele, Weber, Carter and Schwartz injured. I would seriously consider each of them if healthy, with Scheifele as a lock. I seriously considered Couture, Couturier and Keith for the team.

Regarding the forwards, I would use them the same way that Babcock did in 2014, with even strength minutes pretty evenly distributed. The first line would actually be used in more defensive situations as Marchand Crosby Bergeron has all the necessary pieces to succeed and dominate possession against any line. If an elite line already works, just use it. The second line has two players who have played a lot together in the NHL plus McDavid. McDavid is a bit of a disappointment this year, but a fair amount of that has to do with how putrid the Oilers are. I still suspect that he generates offence more than any other player. Benn gives him a better version of Draisaitl and Seguin is a speedy scorer to complement him. I would use this line against easier competition if possible. The third line is another pure offence line. Tavares has probably been the best Canadian player in the NHL this year. Hall makes the team as a strong play driver on this line and with a bit of a more refined two way game. Stamkos I am not overly high on, as I think he has been overrated this year due to playing with Kucherov and getting some easy points that way, but he is still good enough to make the team in a supporting role. It would be ideal if he could go back into sniper mode. The fourth line is a bit of a surprise. Giroux has been surprisingly strong at LW this year, while MacKinnon has really had a breakout this year and is a lock for the team. It's a nice luxury to have two guys tied for second in NHL scoring on the fourth line. O'Reilly is a bit of a surprise but I think that he is the best fit here. O'Reilly is a very good defensive player who can be used against top end forwards on other teams. O'Reilly is also a proven commodity internationally and has had quite a few impressive performances for Canada. He has also successfully played with Giroux on a dominant line for Canada at the 2015 IIHF WC and at times with macKinnon in Colorado. Another important factor is that O'Reilly can slide over to LW. I would have O'Reilly deployed as centre and he would take on the centre's defensive responsibilities, but in the offensive zone I would have Giroux take on more of the centre role and paly with more freedom with O'Reilly taking on more of the LW role. Both players are smart enough to pull this off. Toews makes it as thirteenth forward. He's just been okay this year, but he always plays well internationally and is a safe option if a centre isn't working out. Stone makes it as the forward in the press box because he is having a strong year and brings a different RW element than any of the forwards on the roster. I like the versatility of this forward group, with each line having RH and LH centre options, and each line either has a natural winger or at least a player with years of experience playing wing in the NHL. I am also a bit surprised at how strong Canada is at LW. Canada is always the strongest country at centre, but right now no country is better at LW. The team would rely on Bergeron and Marchand, O'Reilly and Giroux, Toews and Benn as PKers. PP could sort itself out.

Vlasic and Doughty is an obvious pairing. Vlasic isn't having a great year this year but still plays a defensive game very suited to international hockey. Doughty is having a very good year and can handle top minutes. Pirtrangelo and Subban are also having good years and can carry their pairings. I don't like Canada's LHD this year, as it looks like the only hole in the roster in terms of skaters. Rielly makes the team as he is having a good year and is a strong skater. It helps that Babcock is the likely candidate to coach the team and Rielly is at least familiar with him. Ideally I would want a bit better but I don't see who there is. Giordano is consistently good, but I have some questions about him internationally. Beggars can't be choosers though. As Subban will be required to carry the puck on this pair, Giordano serves as a babysitter if needed. Burns makes the team purely as an offensive weapon. I wouldn't want him playing regular minutes in most situations. If Canada was down a goal in the third however I would want Burns taking shifts. Hamilton makes the team in the press box because someone has to and he is at least good and young.

Goaltending is a bit weak for this team. I am assuming that Crawford will be healthy for a few weeks before the tournament, if not he is removed. Any of the goaltenders can be picked to play. I have little preference, though I might lean Crawford if he was guaranteed to be healthy.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
As Hockey Canada is announcing its Olympic roster today, here is my lineup for a best on best Olympics, if such a thing was happening:

Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Tavares Stamkos
Toews, Stone

Vlasic Doughty
Rielly Pietrangelo
Giordano Subban
Burns, Hamilton

Price
Crawford
Holtby

Keep in mind that this is what I would want, not what I think that Hockey Canada would do. I think that Hockey Canada would include Getzlaf and Keith, at the very least, since Hockey Canada tends to be conservative. Regarding injury, I am considering Scheifele, Weber, Carter and Schwartz injured. I would seriously consider each of them if healthy, with Scheifele as a lock. I seriously considered Couture, Couturier and Keith for the team.

Regarding the forwards, I would use them the same way that Babcock did in 2014, with even strength minutes pretty evenly distributed. The first line would actually be used in more defensive situations as Marchand Crosby Bergeron has all the necessary pieces to succeed and dominate possession against any line. If an elite line already works, just use it. The second line has two players who have played a lot together in the NHL plus McDavid. McDavid is a bit of a disappointment this year, but a fair amount of that has to do with how putrid the Oilers are. I still suspect that he generates offence more than any other player. Benn gives him a better version of Draisaitl and Seguin is a speedy scorer to complement him. I would use this line against easier competition if possible. The third line is another pure offence line. Tavares has probably been the best Canadian player in the NHL this year. Hall makes the team as a strong play driver on this line and with a bit of a more refined two way game. Stamkos I am not overly high on, as I think he has been overrated this year due to playing with Kucherov and getting some easy points that way, but he is still good enough to make the team in a supporting role. It would be ideal if he could go back into sniper mode. The fourth line is a bit of a surprise. Giroux has been surprisingly strong at LW this year, while MacKinnon has really had a breakout this year and is a lock for the team. It's a nice luxury to have two guys tied for second in NHL scoring on the fourth line. O'Reilly is a bit of a surprise but I think that he is the best fit here. O'Reilly is a very good defensive player who can be used against top end forwards on other teams. O'Reilly is also a proven commodity internationally and has had quite a few impressive performances for Canada. He has also successfully played with Giroux on a dominant line for Canada at the 2015 IIHF WC and at times with macKinnon in Colorado. Another important factor is that O'Reilly can slide over to LW. I would have O'Reilly deployed as centre and he would take on the centre's defensive responsibilities, but in the offensive zone I would have Giroux take on more of the centre role and paly with more freedom with O'Reilly taking on more of the LW role. Both players are smart enough to pull this off. Toews makes it as thirteenth forward. He's just been okay this year, but he always plays well internationally and is a safe option if a centre isn't working out. Stone makes it as the forward in the press box because he is having a strong year and brings a different RW element than any of the forwards on the roster. I like the versatility of this forward group, with each line having RH and LH centre options, and each line either has a natural winger or at least a player with years of experience playing wing in the NHL. I am also a bit surprised at how strong Canada is at LW. Canada is always the strongest country at centre, but right now no country is better at LW. The team would rely on Bergeron and Marchand, O'Reilly and Giroux, Toews and Benn as PKers. PP could sort itself out.

Vlasic and Doughty is an obvious pairing. Vlasic isn't having a great year this year but still plays a defensive game very suited to international hockey. Doughty is having a very good year and can handle top minutes. Pirtrangelo and Subban are also having good years and can carry their pairings. I don't like Canada's LHD this year, as it looks like the only hole in the roster in terms of skaters. Rielly makes the team as he is having a good year and is a strong skater. It helps that Babcock is the likely candidate to coach the team and Rielly is at least familiar with him. Ideally I would want a bit better but I don't see who there is. Giordano is consistently good, but I have some questions about him internationally. Beggars can't be choosers though. As Subban will be required to carry the puck on this pair, Giordano serves as a babysitter if needed. Burns makes the team purely as an offensive weapon. I wouldn't want him playing regular minutes in most situations. If Canada was down a goal in the third however I would want Burns taking shifts. Hamilton makes the team in the press box because someone has to and he is at least good and young.

I would replace Hall with Getzlaf and put Giroux on that 3rd line LW slot and put O'Reilly on the 4th line slot with Getzlaf and MacKinnon. Possibly even replace O'Reilly with Couture but O'Reilly has proven himself with Team Canada at the past 3 World Championships. I'd replace MacKinnon with Scheifele or Carter but both are injured and MacKinnon has been carrying that Colorado team so no judgement there.

No way Giordano or Rielly replaces Duncan Keith. Rielly and Hamilton aren't ready to take a spot on Canada's back end, at least for now. At most I'd keep Rielly as the 8th. If Weber is injured I'd replace him with Ryan Ellis. I know Ellis just came back from injury but if he can return to his form from last year he would be a perfect fit for this Canadian team.

Goaltending is more than adequate.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would replace Hall with Getzlaf and put Giroux on that 3rd line LW slot and put O'Reilly on the 4th line slot with Getzlaf and MacKinnon. Possibly even replace O'Reilly with Couture but O'Reilly has proven himself with Team Canada at the past 3 World Championships. I'd replace MacKinnon with Scheifele or Carter but both are injured and MacKinnon has been carrying that Colorado team so no judgement there.

No way Giordano or Rielly replaces Duncan Keith. Rielly and Hamilton aren't ready to take a spot on Canada's back end, at least for now. At most I'd keep Rielly as the 8th. If Weber is injured I'd replace him with Ryan Ellis. I know Ellis just came back from injury but if he can return to his form from last year he would be a perfect fit for this Canadian team.

Goaltending is more than adequate.

Getzlaf is playing good hockey this year, but I am wary of sticking with him too long. Hall has been good internationally the last few years and has been playing responsible hockey in New Jersey this year. I don't see many players on this team who would fit well with Getzlaf. Marchand and Bergeron would but they are occupied. Benn would but I prefer him giving some size to McDavid's line. O'Reilly would be a good fit, but I don't know who the RW would be. As noted I do absolutely think that Hockey Canada would be taking Getzlaf. I also think that Hockey Canada would take Keith, but I probably wouldn't. He's been mediocre to bad in the Chicago games I've seen this year. You can gamble that he finds his form or steps up on a bigger stage but I just want some solid, consistent play on the left side.

Ellis is a good player, and a very good player internationally, but Canada doesn't need anything more on the right side. He could replace Hamilton as the eighth defenceman, sure. I wouldn't mind that. Parayko might also be good in that role no that I think of it. It's a very minor role though.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Getzlaf is playing good hockey this year, but I am wary of sticking with him too long. Hall has been good internationally the last few years and has been playing responsible hockey in New Jersey this year. I don't see many players on this team who would fit well with Getzlaf. Marchand and Bergeron would but they are occupied. Benn would but I prefer him giving some size to McDavid's line. O'Reilly would be a good fit, but I don't know who the RW would be. As noted I do absolutely think that Hockey Canada would be taking Getzlaf. I also think that Hockey Canada would take Keith, but I probably wouldn't. He's been mediocre to bad in the Chicago games I've seen this year. You can gamble that he finds his form or steps up on a bigger stage but I just want some solid, consistent play on the left side.

Just looking at the forwards, most of these guys are having really good years and its unfortunate that we won't be sending NHLers to South Korea. To you question, I've always thought that Carter and Getzlaf would look good together (they were very productive linemates at the World Juniors for two years), as would Schiefele. Alas, we'll probably never know. Injuries aside, Carter and Scheifele would certainly make my team, and Getzlaf would too.

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Tavares - Getzlaf - Carter
Hall - Schiefele - Stamkos
Toews, MacKinnon

Schwartz, Giroux and O'Reilly would be the most difficult omissions.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Giroux - Tavares - Stamkos
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Hall - Toews - Mackinnon

Vlasic - Doughty
Burns - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Subban
Parayko

Price
Crawford
Holtby

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Marchand- Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - McDavid - Stamkos
Giroux - Tavares - Hall
MacKinnon - Scheifele- Seguin
fringe: Toews, Monahan, Stone, Getzlaf

Keith - Doughty
Giordano - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Subban
Giordano - Weber
fringe: , Parayko, Muzzin, Letang

Price
Holtby
Crawford

I see a lot of Stone on these rosters. Tbh I don't think he has the pedigree to take spots from the 12 guys I have up there. He's certainly close though.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Fantasy hockey is fun, so I'll give it a try. Please don't laugh at me, I'm not an expert for each country, and I can't follow 31 NHL teams closely, let alone European teams.

Canada
Tavares - McDavid - Stamkos
Benn - Toews - Seguin
Giroux - Couturier - Stone
MacKinnon
(Extra: Hall or ROR. Depending what they want. Remember that at the WCH, ROR was a replacement, yet always played)

Muzzin - Doughty
Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Pietrangelo
Subban
(Extra: Rielly or Giordano)

Price
Holtby
Dubnyk

(Excluded because of injury: Carter, Scheifele, Weber, Crawford)

USA
Gaudreau - Matthews - Kane
Lee - Eichel - Wheeler
JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Saad - Kesler - Oshie
Trocheck
(Extra: Pac (used to be on my 2nd line, but not after this season))

Suter - Carlson
McDonagh - Buff
Werenski - Jones
Ghost
(Extra: Shattenkirk)

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

Sweden
Landeskog - Backstrom - Nylander
W.Karlsson - Zibanejad - Rakell
Silfverberg - Backlund - Jarnkrok
Steen - Zetterberg - Hornqvist
Arvidsson
(Extra: E.Lindholm)

Ekholm - Karlsson
H.Lindholm - Klingberg
OEL - Stralman
Klefbom
(Extra: A.Larsson)

Lundqvist
Lehner
Markstrom

Injured: F.Forsberg, Hedman

Finland
Rantanen - Barkov - Laine
Haula - Koivu - Mi.Granlund
Teravainen - Filppula - Donskoi
Komarov - J.Jokinen - Armia
Puljujarvi

Maatta - Risto
Lindell - Vatanen
Nutivaara - Hietanen (or no idea. Just a RHD, but not Honka)

The Three Rs: Rinne, Rask, Raanta

Injured: Aho

Russia
Ovechkin - Kuz - Kucherov
Panarin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Kovalchuk - Shipachyov - Radulov
Namestnikov - Anisimov - Dadonov
Gusev
(Extra: Telegin)

Provorov - Zaitsev
Sergachev - Voynov
Orlov - Emelin
Markov
(Extra: Belov)

Bob
Vasi
Sorokin

Czechs
Palat - Hertl - Voracek
Sobotka - Krejci - Pastrnak
Faksa - Hanzal - Frolik* (*not sure if he'd recover though)
Sedlak - Plekanec - O.Kase
Vrana
(Extra: Zadina**)
**Yes, why not such a wildcard? Remember Laine Worlds MVP in his pre-draft year? Guys like Vrbata, Kovar or Cervenka always disappoint, and Jaskin, Frk or Nosek are not even better.

Kempny - Rutta
Jerabek - Gudas
Jordan - Polak
Mozik
(Extra: Kolar)

Neuvirth
Francouz
Furch

Switzerland
Fiala - N.Hischier - Niederreiter
S.Baertschi - Suter - Andrighetto
Hollenstein - Haas - Praplan/Bodenmann
Scherwey - Schäppi/Richard - Ambühl
Fazzini
(Extra: Hofmann)

Josi - Y.Weber
Kukan - Diaz
Blum - Untersander
Geering
(Extra: Genazzi)

Genoni
Berra
Hiller

Injured: Sbisa, Moser

b0rn2beWild

Dec 8, 2011
It would be great to see Mackinnon and McDavid on the same line.

CAN forwards:

Bergeron-Crosby-Marchand
Mackinnon-McDavid-Stamkos
Benn-Tavares-Seguin
Giroux-Toews-Hall
13.O'Reilly/Getzlaf

FIN forwards:

Aho-Barkov-Laine
Rantanen-Koivu-Mi.Granlund
Teräväinen-Filppula-Donskoi
Komarov-Haula-Armia

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'll be rooting for Team USA regardless, but if the NHL were participating in the Olympics, what's your team?

Forwards

Anders Lee - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane
Johnny Gaudreau - Auston Matthews - Blake Wheeler
TJ Oshie - Vincent Trocheck - Phil Kessel
Jason Zucker - Dylan Larkin - Tyler Johnson
Brock Boeser

Defense

Ryan Suter - John Carlson
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Ryan McDonagh - Charlie McAvoy
Erik Johnson

Goalies

Jonathan Quick
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson

Extras: Clayton Keller, Cam Fowler

Notes:
  • Damn. What could have been.
  • I'm sure USAH would have added more unnecessary veterans up front, but it would have been time to turn the page on the prior guard. Even though guys like Brown, Statsny, and Pavelski are having good years, their representation should be over.
  • LW is the only place where the depth isn't good right now, hurt by the fact that Pacioretty and Saad are both having awful years.
  • Seeing that center group would have been something else as a USAH fan. It's been a long time since the center group would have been a strength.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'll be rooting for Team USA regardless, but if the NHL were participating in the Olympics, what's your team?

Forwards

Brock Boeser

Defense

Erik Johnson

Goalies

Jonathan Quick
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson

Notes:
  • I'm sure USAH would have added more unnecessary veterans up front, but it would have been time to turn the page on the prior guard. Even though guys like Brown, Statsny, and Pavelski are having good years, their representation should be over.
  • LW is the only place where the depth isn't good right now, hurt by the fact that Pacioretty and Saad are both having awful years.
  • Seeing that center group would have been something else as a USAH fan. It's been a long time since the center group would have been a strength.

nice looking team...

could we please get Hockey Canada and USAH onboard for a best of 7 summit border clash series...hell, make it 8 games. the more the merrier. It's unacceptable that we may have to wait until China '22 to see best v best. NHL Olympics are cool, but I'd prefer a 2 team showdown in N. America. prime time in NHL rinks.

I don't understand why the networks, especially the Canadian ones, are not clamoring for this and offering $$$$.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
We could have had...

Forsberg - Bäckström - Nylander
Arvidsson - Zibanejad - Rakell
Landeskog - Karlsson - Lindholm
Backlund - Zetterberg - Silfverberg

Ekholm - Klingberg
Lindholm - Karlsson
Hedman - OEL

Lundqvist
Lehner
Markström

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
My team if I was picking when the roster was announced.

Crawford
Holtby
Price

Burns
Doughty
Keith
Pietrangelo
Riley
Subban
Vlassic
Webber

Benn
Bergeron
Crosby
Getzlaf
Giroux
Hall
Mackinon
Marchand
McDavid
Schifele
Seguin
Stamkos
Tavares
Toews

Sucks that this team can`t go. It would be 6 players drafted first overall on this team.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Benn McDavid Seguin
Hall Tavares Stamkos
Toews, Stone

With MacKinnon injured I would slide Stone into his spot. Stone should be ready to go by the time the Olympics start. MacKinnon is having a great year though and his speed would be missed. To replace Stone as 14th forward I would go a bit off the board and pick Barzal. Couture would probably be a more useful on ice player, but I am expecting that the 14th forward won't be needed (even when Duchene played in 2014 it could have been avoided) and Barzal looks like a guy who could play for Canada in the future. The experience could be valuable for him.

This is my Canadian B team:

Huberdeau Getzlaf Bailey
Neal Couture Point
Kadri Couturier Schenn
E. Staal Monahan Eberle
Marchessault, Skinner

Keith Letang
Brodie Parayko
Muzzin Ellis
Tanev, Barrie

Fleury/Smith/Bernier

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Roster revisited - this roster will exclude players that are injured and only include players that are healthy and currently playing

Team Canada

Forwards:
Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Giroux - Tavares - Stamkos
Hall - Getzlaf - O'Reilly
Toews
Couture

Defensemen:
Vlasic - Doughty
Keith - Pietro
Giordano - Burns
Subban
Muzzin

Goaltenders:
Price
Smith
Holtby

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Forwards

Brock Boeser

Defense

Erik Johnson

Goalies

Jonathan Quick
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson

Notes:

You think Lee can keep up with Eichel and Kane on the big ice?

I want Lee on this team 100%, just not sure he is the best player to partner with those two here. I thought Lee was a bit disappointing last year at the WC, but he is used to playing with top talent in NYI just though Gaudreau would be playing with Kane - that would be a sight to behold.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess my team would be pretty similar to Bonney's-

I love the depth on offense and defense, though the LW is a bit weak with a number of our top guys having down years (Patches, Saad, JVR, etc)..

The other issue I have with this group is short-handed...we simply do not have the guys that can really shut you down on defense like we did in 2010, so hopefully this squad stays out of the box.

Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Brock Boeser - Jack Eichel - Phil Kessel
Anders Lee - Vincent Trocheck - Blake Wheeler - A
Max Pacioretty - Dylan Larkin - Joe Pavelski - A
Jason Zucker

Ryan Suter - C - John Carlson
Jaccob Slavin - Ryan McDonagh
Charlie McAvoy

Jon Quick
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson

Extras - Tyler Johnson , Shayne Gostisbehere, Kyle Palmieri

Some thoughts:

EDIT- CHANGED EICHEL/MATTHEWS - Eichel is more pass first, figured he might be better off with Boeser and Kessel

I went with two veterans on the forward group that I felt this team needs - Pacioretty and Pavelski. Both can play two way roles and form a heck of a 4th line.

All of Montreal has had a down year, so I will cut the 5 time 30 goal scorer Patches some slack, he has turned it on of late and could some how hit 30 again if he keeps the pace up from his past 10 games.

I just can't leave Pavelski off this team with the amount of youth we have. We need some veterans, especially in crunch time and on the pk like we had in 2010 with Langenbrunner. Joe Pa for me makes this squad and likely wears a letter as well.

I have Boeser on his off wing which likely isn't ideal, but he needs to be a top 6 player on this team to be as effective as he has been this year, and he slots there on the second line for me with Matthews. One hell of a duo.

Down the middle this team has shades of our glory era (Lafontaine, Roenick, Modano, Weight, Janney, and Otto). The best grouping of centers we have had in 20 years. They have such speed and skill, had to put Larkin here on the big ice as well. He belongs here over Kesler who I think he replaces.

Kesler, Parise, and Brown will always be heroes to me for what they have done in their battles over the years - just more skill and youth rising to the top that USA Hockey would be idiotic to ignore or keep buried at this point.

Defensively this group is near elite. I really do not see many flaws, and the amount of names left off this team (Buff, Fowler, Leddy, Shattenkirk, Hanifin, Faulk, Trouba, E Johnson, etc..) is astounding.

Slavin is the best shut down defender we have, he has to be here regardless of the year many Hurricane blueliners are having this year. Slavin should have been the All-Star that went and not Hanifin.

Werenski and McAvoy are the power play talents this squad needs, and they would be relied heavily to generate offense from the point.

Goaltending is rock solid. All 3 great options, and any one of them I have zero problems taking the ball and running with it.

Plenty of others like Schneider, Bishop, Anderson, etc that could be called on if needed as well..

This team should be playing for a Gold on paper, but that is what happens a lot with USA Hockey, the on-ice group rarely lives up to the talent on-paper,.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad