Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
lol at the hanging of one game.

Didn't he just score a goal play 27min was +2 and put up 5 shots while not being scored on in game 1?

Does Biech even watch these games because his analysis of these players is more... i heard... than i saw, from when i listened to his interviews.

Anyways i'm not watching so feel free to correct me if you are.

Finished -1.
On for 1 for and 2 against.
3 shots
average ice is still 23:54 after the BRUUUUTTTTTAAAALLL 2nd period.
Goalie got pulled after 5.

Any context Biech?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
A 19 years old D who doesn’t know how to maintain his own body condition and apparently struggles at defense?

And how should we feel about that?

Like I get the desire to disassociate his performance from his draft status but I see that as fundamentally impossible. His draft status sets our hopes and expectations for this player. If he was a 7th round pick I’d view the mere fact that he is even playing top 4 minutes in Liiga as a massive positive. If he was a 1st overall pick I’d consider him not being a top 4 D in the NHL today as a massive negative .

I just don’t think you can untangle the performance from the expectations. At least I can’t.

Reactions: racerjoe

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
And how should we feel about that?

Like I get the desire to disassociate his performance from his draft status but I see that as fundamentally impossible. His draft status sets our hopes and expectations for this player. If he was a 7th round pick I’d view the mere fact that he is even playing top 4 minutes in Liiga as a massive positive. If he was a 1st overall pick I’d consider him not being a top 4 D in the NHL today as a massive negative .

I just don’t think you can untangle the performance from the expectations. At least I can’t.
Well, for me personally
It’s easy to untangle the expectation from his current situation. Call me realistist I guess?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well, for me personally
It’s easy to untangle the expectation from his current situation. Call me realistist I guess?

I don’t think it makes you any more or realistic than me, you just seem to be compartmentalizing things more than me. Like if you completely ignore he draft position and what that implies about his ceiling, then what do you make of Juolevi right now? He struggles with fitness and defense but he is playing in a pro league. Is that good? Is it bad? How do you think it bodes for his NHL future?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
When you talked with the london Knight regulars, he has a confidence issue is what they said.

He can't brush aside one bad play, and he just turtles into this this super conservative player that is afraid to do anything.

Sounds like he suffers from Felixium Potvinitis.

Sucks having two top 10 picks that we're just praying can become anything at the NHL level.

A fourth line grinder and a 3rd pairing D man?.... sure, I'll take it at this point.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don’t think it makes you any more or realistic than me, you just seem to be compartmentalizing things more than me. Like if you completely ignore he draft position and what that implies about his ceiling, then what do you make of Juolevi right now? He struggles with fitness and defense but he is playing in a pro league. Is that good? Is it bad? How do you think it bodes for his NHL future?

Like I stated it before

His development is mix with good and bad
In my view, he probably needs another 1~2 years of development (either of AHL or NHL) to become a real nhl player, and unfortunately not a top pairing caliber one.

It is what it is now, better accept the reality now than complain how much of a disappointment he is as a 5 overall pick. We’ve done that enough for the past two seasons.

But hey, that’s just me

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Like I stated it before

His development is mix with good and bad
In my view, he probably needs another 1~2 years of development (either of AHL or NHL) to become a real nhl player, and unfortunately not a top pairing caliber one.

It is what it is now, better accept the reality now than complain how much of a disappointment he is as a 5 overall pick. We’ve done that enough for the past two seasons.

But hey, that’s just me

I appreciate that it’s your POV but I just fundamentally disagree that you need to ignore draft position when evaluating a prospect prior to them making the NHL. But there’s no point in belabouring a difference in POV so it’s all good.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I appreciate that it’s your POV but I just fundamentally disagree that you need to ignore draft position when evaluating a prospect prior to them making the NHL. But there’s no point in belabouring a difference in POV so it’s all good.
Well, what I said was that it’s time to ignore the draft position.
Because we’ve spent the past two seasons complaining about how he’s such a disappointment for 5OA, to a point where everyone and their moms know that he’s the wrong pick at 5OA.

What’s the point to continue doing that?

That’s like bumping the Virtanen thread every time Nylander/Ehler scores a point or a goal

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
That and his coach says he actually needs to train hard this summer if he's to have even the slightest chance of making the NHL next year.
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he will be ready. All we can do now is wait for camp to get a better look.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
A teenage defenceman having a bad period in his second playoff game in a men’s league? And based on a tweet on a game no one here is apparently watching?

Hmm, maybe cut the boy some slack

Reactions: sting101

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If Juolevi needs another 1-2 years of development, don’t count on him being anything special in the long run.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well, what I said was that it’s time to ignore the draft position.
Because we’ve spent the past two seasons complaining about how he’s such a disappointment for 5OA, to a point where everyone and their moms know that he’s the wrong pick at 5OA.

What’s the point to continue doing that?

That’s like bumping the Virtanen thread every time Nylander/Ehler scores a point or a goal

Since we have never seen him against actual professional NA competition, we don't really know if he is any better than Wiercioch, Holm, or Brisebois at the AHL level, let alone the 7 guys still under contract to the Canucks next season that so many seem to believe are disposable (Tanev and Hutton) precisely because #5 OA Olli will be coming in and Brisebois is in the background. Benning has been grooming the fan base to think GB is going to be good for the past few months.

Thus, this kid better be at a play now NHL level or the Canucks better hold on to what they've got or find equal status in free agents just in case. Filling the cookie jar before knowing what they've got (free agents) doesn't seem like any more of a good idea than standing status quo (not trading Tanev or Hutton).

That's why I think bringing up the fact Olli was a #5 OA is an issue. If he truly was a #5 you wouldn't be worried. Already accepting he isn't, throws a monkey wrench into future plans. Right now he doesn't appear to be any different than a lower draft pick (2nd or 3rd round) and should be treated accordingly. Penciling him onto the NHL roster sight unseen isn't a wise decision. You have agreed with that by stating AHL as a real possibility. I don't think Benning shares that philosophy. IMO management has him penciled into the lineup next October. Patience is the last quality JB possesses.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Since we have never seen him against actual professional NA competition, we don't really know if he is any better than Wiercioch, Holm, or Brisebois at the AHL level, let alone the 7 guys still under contract to the Canucks next season that so many seem to believe are disposable (Tanev and Hutton) precisely because #5 OA Olli will be coming in and Brisebois is in the background. Benning has been grooming the fan base to think GB is going to be good for the past few months.

Thus, this kid better be at a play now NHL level or the Canucks better hold on to what they've got or find equal status in free agents just in case. Filling the cookie jar before knowing what they've got (free agents) doesn't seem like any more of a good idea than standing status quo (not trading Tanev or Hutton).

That's why I think bringing up the fact Olli was a #5 OA is an issue. If he truly was a #5 you wouldn't be worried. Already accepting he isn't, throws a monkey wrench into future plans. Right now he doesn't appear to be any different than a lower draft pick (2nd or 3rd round) and should be treated accordingly. Penciling him onto the NHL roster sight unseen isn't a wise decision. You have agreed with that by stating AHL as a real possibility. I don't think Benning shares that philosophy. IMO management has him penciled into the lineup next October. Patience is the last quality JB possesses.
Well yeah
The best for Oli is ahl next season and wait and see
But we know he’s the big club next season for marketing

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
People saying Liiga is a bush league don't know much about european hockey. The european club championship was just won by Liiga team JYP and they won two czech teams on the way to the final where they won the swedish club Växjö on Växjös own ice. And Växjö is leading SHL by a large margin.

Don't take it personally, people are all about their own general narrative here, and sometimes that doesn't line up with facts.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Don't take it personally, people are all about their own general narrative here, and sometimes that doesn't line up with facts.

It's 100% fact that european leagues are bush league compared to the NHL.

A 39 year old Henrik Tallinder is the #1 defencemen on one of the best teams in the Liiga.
A swedish league MVP can't even crack an NHL roster (on one of the worst teams in the league) the next year.
Plugs like Vey and Nigel Dawes are among the leading scorers in the KHL.

Those are the facts. And yes some people conveniently choose to ignore those facts and delude themselves into believing juolevi being a second pairing guy in the bush league Liiga in his d+2 is still somehow having a good season.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

A 39 year old Henrik Tallinder is the #1 defencemen on one of the best teams in the Liiga.
A swedish league MVP can't even crack an NHL roster (on one of the worst teams in the league) the next year.

Those are the facts. And yes some people conveniently choose to ignore those facts and delude themselves into believing juolevi being a second pairing guy in the bush league Liiga in his d+2 is still somehow having a good season.

100% fact eh?

So I guess what Elias Pettersson did in that European bush league is worth diddly squat then too

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I watched just the first period earlier, he was solid, was skating well on the first pair with Tallinder. Tallinder did not have the best period, he usually plays better. Olli played on the 2nd PP, the first PP was quarterbacked by Heikkinen who has a big shot. Didn't watch after that.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Why don´t you include Jesper Bratt in that list?

He scores more points in the NHL per game than he did in Sweden.

We all know the NHL is tougher, but let´s not pretend that the difference is bigger than it is.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Wow....For real?
Juolevi has been playing with Tallinder on the top pair by the way averaging 24min a game.

Remember when Matt Barzal wasn't good enough to make the Islanders and was sent back to Seattle at 19?

Doubt the player but the process and league is completely fine. It was another year in London stagnating or go to a pro league under the guidance of Salo in which some tough love and tougher competition could advance his game.

If Liiga is bush what is Junior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad