Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Seems I missed out on the morning drama!

Altho Marek's initial comments did not fit Juolevi, you still had many here pushing and twisting it to fit, almost hoping.

Glad it's 100% put to rest.

Now we will see who will keep on with it regardless of facts.

Please keep a close eye on it and be sure to report the traitorous scum to the great leader.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
And what is “guilty” on a discussion board? Did anyone say “it’s 100% Juolevi”? Or were they speculating, as fans of many other teams with prospects that weren’t yet in the NHL were speculating?

For my part I even said several times I didn’t think it was him but I understand that it made for something to talk about during a long, boring off season.
Well yeah, I didn’t say you are one of them.

I was just triggered a bit by your Lindstron comment, cause I remember only seen it once right after the 2016 draft

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well yeah, I didn’t say you are one of them.

I was just triggered a bit by your Lindstron comment, cause I pretty sure live only seen it once right after the 2016 draft

Well that was sorta my point eh? One person says a thing and it becomes “Oh wait I thought HFCanucks said ...”. It’s a cheap way to argue something. It’s a big board with a lot of people but one or two people =/= the board.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
And what is “guilty” on a discussion board? Did anyone say “it’s 100% Juolevi”? Or were they speculating, as fans of many other teams with prospects that weren’t yet in the NHL were speculating?

For my part I even said several times I didn’t think it was him but I understand that it made for something to talk about during a long, boring off season.
Well, since Marek said he won’t named oit the player, so there’s no way that the player can be proven guilty.

However, I’ve never seen a fan base likes to push the fire on to their own prospect this much.
Usually it’s the other way around

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Dhiren Mahiban has rightfully been called out in the comment of this tweet.

Too bad I missed out on what must of been written under the initial deleted tweet.

Never heard of this reporter before....

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh wow
I thought according to HFboard
It’s absolutely Juolevi
Gross exaggeration.

Maybe like two or three people seemed pretty convinced (Hollywood Burrows, MS, and who else?), and everybody else just discussed or denied the possibility. Some were really upset that it was even treated like a possibility and quick to call it out for having an ulterior motive (which I thought was unwarranted).

Personally, I found the evidence really stupid.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well, since Marek said he won’t named oit the player, so there’s no way that the player can be proven guilty.

However, I’ve never seen a fan base likes to push the fire on to their own prospect this much.
Usually it’s the other way around

I think people saw it as a possible explanation for Juolevi’s underwhelming D+1 in London and terrible training camp/preseason with the Canucks. But the part about not likely to make the NHL always stuck out as not fitting the profile.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think people saw it as a possible explanation for Juolevi’s underwhelming D+1 in London and terrible training camp/preseason with the Canucks. But the part about not likely to make the NHL always stuck out as not fitting the profile.
To me his D+1 season was easuy to understand
No Tkchuk and Marner, there for his stats went down.

He got too comfortable and lazy in junior, he should have never went back to Junior in the first place

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
To me his D+1 season was easuy to understand
No Tkchuk and Marner, there for his stats went down.

He got too comfortable and lazy in junior, he should have never went back to Junior in the first place

No Tkachuk, Marner is not a satisfactory explanation. The Knights scored ~30 fewer team goals which is a drop of about 9%. A player’s progression from D to D+1 should overcome that as was the case with Victor Mete.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Think there was concern over it being Juolevi because of a quote from Bouchard I believe saying that Juolevi liked playing games (though what teenager doesn't)

Don't really recall much in the way of posters saying it was 100% Juolevi unless they were being facetious

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Dhiren Mahiban has rightfully been called out in the comment of this tweet.

Too bad I missed out on what must of been written under the initial deleted tweet.

Never heard of this reporter before....

You didnt miss much. Is first tweet was that he had a source telling him the prospect in question was indeed Juolevi. He followed that up by saying something along the lines of "when he was in London, Juolevi would stay up late so he could play with his friends back in Helsinki", which of course doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Late at night in Canada would be early morning in Europe and I dont assume many play video games at 6 am or so, even if heavily addicted.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
To be fair, having a stud prospect turn out to be disappointing due to a video game addiction would be revolutionary (in that it would be a super interesting thing to follow as an outsider/fan) and a relief in some ways. We could be sympathetic towards the player, concede that no GM should/could have seen that coming pre-draft, and all be sad together in bemusement at typical Canucks luck.

Instead now we have to continue discussing how the GM made a pick that looks pretty poor (likely based on a rash decision on a seven game sample as his own quotes now suggest...), the player might have work ethic or talent issues, and there's no amusing greater force at play f***ing over the Canucks, just incompetence.

Wooo.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
To be fair, having a stud prospect turn out to be disappointing due to a video game addiction would be revolutionary (in that it would be a super interesting thing to follow as an outsider/fan) and a relief in some ways. We could be sympathetic towards the player, concede that no GM should/could have seen that coming pre-draft, and all be sad together in bemusement at typical Canucks luck.

Instead now we have to continue discussing how the GM made a pick that looks pretty poor (likely based on a rash decision on a seven game sample as his own quotes now suggest...), the player might have work ethic or talent issues, and there's no amusing greater force at play ****ing over the Canucks, just incompetence.

Wooo.

Knew it wouldn’t be long before someone spun the confirmation that Juolevi isn’t the video game addict in question into a negative. Bravo. All you can do is laugh at the pathological hatefest.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You didnt miss much. Is first tweet was that he had a source telling him the prospect in question was indeed Juolevi. He followed that up by saying something along the lines of "when he was in London, Juolevi would stay up late so he could play with his friends back in Helsinki", which of course doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Late at night in Canada would be early morning in Europe and I dont assume many play video games at 6 am or so, even if heavily addicted.
Ah...
I searched twitter for direct responses... virtually all of them condemning the 'reporter'.
@dcmahiban - Twitter Search

I also like the way Marek didn't tag the 'reporter' back with his clarification tweet.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Knew it wouldn’t be long before someone spun the confirmation that Juolevi isn’t the video game addict in question into a negative. Bravo. All you can do is laugh at the pathological hatefest.

Funny that in a “pathological hatefest” you always seem to be the angriest poster.

Reactions: Catbug

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Instead now we have to continue discussing how the GM made a pick that looks pretty poor (likely based on a rash decision on a seven game sample as his own quotes now suggest...), the player might have work ethic or talent issues, and there's no amusing greater force at play ****ing over the Canucks, just incompetence.

Wooo.
Or we don't have to continues something that has been beaten to dead alread y in the past two seasons?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Gross exaggeration.

Maybe like two or three people seemed pretty convinced (Hollywood Burrows, MS, and who else?), and everybody else just discussed or denied the possibility. Some were really upset that it was even treated like a possibility and quick to call it out for having an ulterior motive (which I thought was unwarranted).

Personally, I found the evidence really stupid.

I thought it was hilarious how upset people got over the mere suggestion thst it might be him. Like what does it even matter? Is he less of a prospect if true?

But people are just so hypersensitive over all thigs OJ. It's adorable.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought it was hilarious how upset people got over the mere suggestion thst it might be him. Like what does it even matter? Is he less of a prospect if true?

But people are just so hypersensitive over all thigs OJ. It's adorable.
I agree that it's stupid to get mad at the mere discussion/possibility (especially considering that we're just reacting to the speculation of insiders, not making it up from scratch), but I don't get where you're coming from with the second point.

If he had a videogame addiction? Yeah, I think that matters, and I think that would rightfully somewhat affect his status as a prospect.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I agree that it's stupid to get mad at the mere discussion/possibility, but I don't get where you're coming from with the second point.

If he had a videogame addiction? Yeah, I think that matters, and I think that would rightfully somewhat affect his status as a prospect.

People are absolutely oversensitive about Juolevi. It's wild. Anything that isn't a positive comment is quoted multiple times in this thread by a certain faction claiming "pathological hate" lmao.

Not saying addiction of any kind is irrelevant, but that being the causation of developmental/performance issues is not significantly different than say, ongoing mental health issues. By that, I mean this news coming out wouldn't suddenly be triggering anything new; the problem would have already been there. It's not like breaking a bone in the middle of a game, where there's a fixed duration that the issue will affect him.

If anything, having a tangible *cause* for a decline in play would provide a pathway to a solution ie. maybe extended rehabilitation helps him find his game. That's much more promising than, uh yeah, the player kinda just sucks (not Juolevi, but in general terms).

(To prove the first sentence, watch someone freak out now over that last sentence.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad