Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Respectable point totals. Here's hoping to a good playoff - interested to see what he can do in North America next year. With the Canucks currently set to bring back every single member of their existing D corps (LOL) Juolevi will certainly have to earn any shot he gets with the big club.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Respectable point totals. Here's hoping to a good playoff - interested to see what he can do in North America next year. With the Canucks currently set to bring back every single member of their existing D corps (LOL) Juolevi will certainly have to earn any shot he gets with the big club.
I expect one of Hutton or Del Zotto to get traded this summer.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018

I think his Challenge is going to be to come in and be hungry, consistent. It seems the word on the street about him is he is very casual in his approach tom the game.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Personally I want him to play a season in the ahl just to improve his competitiveness, but you know this management group wants to sell tickets so....
Also I’m going to bet that Juolevi will have a good playoffs. He always shows up when it matters the most

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Personally I want him to play a season in the ahl just to improve his competitiveness, but you know this management group wants to sell tickets so....
Also I’m going to bet that Juolevi will have a good playoffs. He always shows up when it matters the most

Me too. Juolevi isn't the calibre of prospect that you put in the NHL right away without question. He will take time. We don't need him in the NHL. Let him hone his craft in Utica. The Canucks did it with Virtanen.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
In his defense Juolevi has preformed better in playoffs and big tournys so HOPEFULLY he has a nother good showing

Ahhh Juolevi the prospect based completely off of hope

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
In his defense Juolevi has preformed better in playoffs and big tournys so HOPEFULLY he has a nother good showing

Ahhh Juolevi the prospect based completely off of hope
You do know, if people are talking about stats and his play then it isn't based off of hope right? It literally is the opposite.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hopefully Del Zotto, but I have a feeling it's going to be Hutton if it's one or the other.
As has been said many times here, they are full of bottom pairing and 7/8 D-men - aside from Tanev and Edler. Hopefully they know after this season that the D-core has to get better. My sense is they want to see if Pouliot can make a next step in his play - I'm not making a comment on whether or not he can make the next step, just that I believe it's part of their plan. Stecher is a valuable asset who is probably a bottom pairing D-man but who can fill in on the top-4 when needed. They just extended Gudbranson and Biega.

So that leaves Hutton and Del Zotto, one of which has to go if they are going to make room for Juolevi. Like you I'm hoping it's Del Zotto but I have a feeling it will be Hutton. It will depend on what's offered. Del Zotto is a known entity around the league. He could be a good depth guy for a team already having a locked in top-4 but looking for some injury insurance. It's less clear what Hutton would return. If it was two years ago, it would have been quite a bit. I suspect his play this year and being two years older will hurt the return. Teams will wonder if he can get back on his early trajectory or is this what he is?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
As has been said many times here, they are full of bottom pairing and 7/8 D-men - aside from Tanev and Edler. Hopefully they know after this season that the D-core has to get better. My sense is they want to see if Pouliot can make a next step in his play - I'm not making a comment on whether or not he can make the next step, just that I believe it's part of their plan. Stecher is a valuable asset who is probably a bottom pairing D-man but who can fill in on the top-4 when needed. They just extended Gudbranson and Biega.

So that leaves Hutton and Del Zotto, one of which has to go if they are going to make room for Juolevi. Like you I'm hoping it's Del Zotto but I have a feeling it will be Hutton. It will depend on what's offered. Del Zotto is a known entity around the league. He could be a good depth guy for a team already having a locked in top-4 but looking for some injury insurance. It's less clear what Hutton would return. If it was two years ago, it would have been quite a bit. I suspect his play this year and being two years older will hurt the return. Teams will wonder if he can get back on his early trajectory or is this what he is?

FWIW, going into the deadline, Benning called the D a position of strength.

Reactions: pomorick

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Really is amazing to me that one of the worst bluelines in the league is looking to have 7 of the top 8 guys returning next season and the only reason the 8th would be going anywhere is to make room for Juolevi.

Let that sink in...a terrible blueline has all 8 "regulars" signed or RFA through next season (i.e. will be signed). To me there is little doubt management sees this as a viable blueline.

Anyways, I think it's pretty clear that despite what the numbers may say, the guy who will be moved is Hutton.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Really is amazing to me that one of the worst bluelines in the league is looking to have 7 of the top 8 guys returning next season and the only reason the 8th would be going anywhere is to make room for Juolevi.

Let that sink in...a terrible blueline has all 8 "regulars" signed or RFA through next season (i.e. will be signed). To me there is little doubt management sees this as a viable blueline.

Anyways, I think it's pretty clear that despite what the numbers may say, the guy who will be moved is Hutton.
Yup, which is why I suggested in the Roster thread that this blueline needs to look very different starting 20/21 if they are going to be competitive. Now, can these players get better, sure, it's not outside the realm of possibility. But to expect that the current D-core is going to develop into a competitive group is unwise at best. Setting aside Biega and Del Zotto because they are what they will become, Hutton, Pouliot, Gudbranson, and Stecher would need to get subtantially better as a group if they believe it will be competitive. You just can't have two of those guys playing top four minutes at this stage of their careers.

I actually don't think they believe Juolevi will be ready in October. It's consistent with signing Del Zotto to a 2 year deal and extending Gudbranson and Biega. If I were to speculate, I think they will start Juolevi in Utica and bring him up a few times during the year, maybe get him 20 games at the NHL level.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

For this reason alone I want Demko as far away from this roster as possible. Unless he has the confidence of Patrick Roy, it won't be good for him mentally to get lit up game after game. Even a vet like Nilsson looks like he was about to lose it last night.
If Joulevi plays in the NHL next season, I pray tbey glue him to Tanev and let him get babysat. Playing beside Gudbranson will ruin him, just look at Hutton

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Yup, which is why I suggested in the Roster thread that this blueline needs to look very different starting 20/21 if they are going to be competitive. Now, can these players get better, sure, it's not outside the realm of possibility. But to expect that the current D-core is going to develop into a competitive group is unwise at best. Setting aside Biega and Del Zotto because they are what they will become, Hutton, Pouliot, Gudbranson, and Stecher would need to get subtantially better as a group if they believe it will be competitive. You just can't have two of those guys playing top four minutes at this stage of their careers.

I actually don't think they believe Juolevi will be ready in October. It's consistent with signing Del Zotto to a 2 year deal and extending Gudbranson and Biega. If I were to speculate, I think they will start Juolevi in Utica and bring him up a few times during the year, maybe get him 20 games at the NHL level.

I agree, all the signs show me that they don't want to be embarrassed again like they were with Virtanen, and with Joulevi's oft-reported "attitude" the chances of that happening, when added to his unbelievably awful play in camp last year, are pretty good.

With Boesser and (They hope..and it's likely) Peterson plus whoever gets picked this year, they are going to want to sweep Joulevi under the rug until they are confident he won't make them look bad

Which he already has,

I VERY much doubt he plays here next year, that "Plan" is the invention of fans

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Seems to be the teams choice. Interesting that at this point the next two are Tanev and possibly Edler.
mdz gudbranson
Joulevi biega
pouliot ????

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Hopefully Del Zotto, but I have a feeling it's going to be Hutton if it's one or the other.

I'm not as sure anymore. I thought they were benching Hutton because I have no faith in anyone in the organization to recognize his potential, but it seems they're sitting him for conditioning issues. Maybe they actually have hope for him developing so they're giving some tough love.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As has been said many times here, they are full of bottom pairing and 7/8 D-men - aside from Tanev and Edler.

Who has said this? I'm pretty sure Hutton and Stecher have been talked about as potential top 4 Dmen. Certainly top 6 calibre. The problem is lack of legitimate top 4 Dmen. Legitimate bottom 2 Dmen (as in #5 and #6) isn't the problem.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
I'm not as sure anymore. I thought they were benching Hutton because I have no faith in anyone in the organization to recognize his potential, but it seems they're sitting him for conditioning issues. Maybe they actually have hope for him developing so they're giving some tough love.

It's the worse kept secret in this city. The team isn't happy with Huttons conditioning and lack of commitment to conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln