Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think this is true, and there was clearly some kind of disconnect.

I think what probably happened with Jake is that he (and/or the Canucks) saw how he was able to physically dominate in junior and thought if he bulked up he could play that same type of game at the NHL level. But he got bigger at the expense of overall fitness and was unable to keep up with the pace of the game.

Certainly some of that was on the Canucks as I doubt Virtanen put together his whole off-season program without any input from the Canucks trainers.

This is roughly how I see it, as well. Also, and I'm just going from memory here, didn't McCaan come to camp way bulked up last year as well?

Furthermore, there's clearly some grey area here since Hodgson hurt his back while working out with Dave Gagner.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
they have very differnet style of play. Love for Juloevi to improve his shot though.

Not from what I've heard,

Salo's best quality was his smarts, he rarely made any mistakes at either end of the ice, our won-lost record with him in and out of the line up is insane.

The shot was just a bonus

Reactions: AlexEdler23

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I think this is true, and there was clearly some kind of disconnect.

I think what probably happened with Jake is that he (and/or the Canucks) saw how he was able to physically dominate in junior and thought if he bulked up he could play that same type of game at the NHL level. But he got bigger at the expense of overall fitness and was unable to keep up with the pace of the game.

Certainly some of that was on the Canucks as I doubt Virtanen put together his whole off-season program without any input from the Canucks trainers.

Or that he was stupid enough to think he could show up out of shape and not have it be a problem

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Too early to judge the attitude of the guy.

Hope he'll learn from Sami. I think this year is pivotal for him.

Um....No, it isn't, his attitude thus far has been his attitude, if he cares to adjust that great if not than...

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Props to JB and/or his team for finding the loophole to allow us to send him back to Europe.

While not likely as impactful, has shades of the Bure loophole.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Props to JB and/or his team for finding the loophole to allow us to send him back to Europe.

While not likely as impactful, has shades of the Bure loophole.

Not really a loophole since its really the rules and pretty much everyone knows about it and uses it. Kinda like what MG did with Jensen before but there's always a debate if its actually an advantage for the prospect. Higher level of competition but also bigger rinks and slightly different rules (tho you could argue the call is called tigher in the CHL/anywhere vs the NHL).

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
Um....No, it isn't, his attitude thus far has been his attitude, if he cares to adjust that great if not than...

Based on what?
I totally agree with you if you talk about his development. He seems to be simply the wrong pick and another huge mistake by Benning.

But I'm talking about his attitude, I personally don't have enough elements to say that he has a bad work ethic or he's selfish and arrogant.

Absolutely open to change my mind if there's something more than an interview.

Reactions: Grantham

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Based on what?
I totally agree with you if you talk about his development. He seems to be simply the wrong pick and another huge mistake by Benning.

But I'm talking about his attitude, I personally don't have enough elements to say that he has a bad work ethic or he's selfish and arrogant.

I’m also befuddled about this apparent attitude problem. He seems like a typical 19 yo. Some people are very self-confident, or have to be to maintain there sense of self esteem. I think its a positive when he makes clear statements on all the areas he knows he needs to improve. He’s in very good hands with Salo.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Based on what?

I haven't noticed this at all. Seems quiet, but not arrogant.

I really hope playing with the grown men speeds up Juolevi's development. I like the pick where it was, I just really hope he pans out, because every top tier team in the NHL has their star defenceman, and Juolevi has the potential to be ours.

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
I haven't noticed this at all. Seems quiet, but not arrogant.

I really hope playing with the grown men speeds up Juolevi's development. I like the pick where it was, I just really hope he pans out, because every top tier team in the NHL has their star defenceman, and Juolevi has the potential to be ours.

& to err from stereotypes; however Fins are notoriously known to be the quiet types. Lived with a Finnish couple for a while, and we'd often have breakfast together where we'd just smile at each other and avoid verbal communication. Also had a Finnish lover once, they'd say that North Americans speak too much, and acknowledged their anxiety before meeting up because they didn't know if they could speak as much.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Really hope he pans out.. imagine this team with Matthew tkachuk and William Nylander right now

Tkachuck Horvat Boeser
Baertchi Nylander Granlund
Sedin Sedin Vanek

looks a lot better then

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Vanek
Burmistrov Granlund Gagner

:cry:

And is Juolevi doing ANYTHING at all positive so far this year??? What a joke of a wasted #5 pick in a draft loaded with guys like Tkachuck Keller Mcavoy etc

Last edited:

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Who would u prefer Ehlers or Nylander? who is best fit for our team?

just imagine we had EITHER of them, jesus christ. :(

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
so back on track, is Juolevi gonna play tomorrow? what time is the game our time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad