Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Honestly I'm not a big fan of him returning to Europe to continue developing.

I would have much preferred him to stay here in NA and let Hunter develop him more in London.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
When does he make his debut.?
not in the line up for tonight's game..perhaps Sat?

He has just arrived to Turku, our sporting director Antero Niittymaki said that it's not likely he plays on Saturday because it might come too soon. Rushing him in won't do any good for him or the team, better let Olli settle down in Turku and run through couple team skates so that he gets going with the team. Our next game after Saturday would be on Tuesday, it's CHL.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
He has just arrived to Turku, our sporting director Antero Niittymaki said that it's not likely he plays on Saturday because it might come too soon. Rushing him in won't do any good for him or the team, better let Olli settle down in Turku and run through couple team skates so that he gets going with the team. Our next game after Saturday would be on Tuesday, it's CHL.

thanks for the info!

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
surprising given he made a show of coming here to train. at this stage, canucks should tell prospects to stay home and train.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the Canucks "trainers" are incompetent.

If you draft a guy in the top 10, are you not assigning him a personal trainer for the summer? That is a huge asset, I don't understand just saying, "Get bigger stronger faster and better, see you next fall"

Didn't Virtanen spend the Summer in Vancouver training with "staff" when he showed up fat and out of shape?

Didn't he pretty much disappear this past summer and do his own thing and showed up looking and playing better than anyone expected?

So Joulevi is on the Benning "Ultra-Gain" power shakes this past summer and rolls in looking like bum, getting turn styled by ham and eggers? Then gets called out by the coach?

My advice to future Canuck picks: Totally disregard everything Benning tells you to do, don't answer his calls or return his emails (Like Benning knows how to send an email...ha!) show up at training camp and if he asks why you've been ignoring him dangle a shiny object in front of him, when he's distracted and giggling throw it down the hall and say "If you get it first it's your Jimbo!"

When he's off chasing it, simply keep walking in the other direction.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well player development has been a problem for a long time across several regime changes and Roger Takahashi has been the guy in charge.

Maybe the guy just isn't good and has no respect from the players so they don't bother following his plans.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

If you draft a guy in the top 10, are you not assigning him a personal trainer for the summer? That is a huge asset, I don't understand just saying, "Get bigger stronger faster and better, see you next fall"

Didn't Virtanen spend the Summer in Vancouver training with "staff" when he showed up fat and out of shape?

Didn't he pretty much disappear this past summer and do his own thing and showed up looking and playing better than anyone expected?

So Joulevi is on the Benning "Ultra-Gain" power shakes this past summer and rolls in looking like bum, getting turn styled by ham and eggers? Then gets called out by the coach?

My advice to future Canuck picks: Totally disregard everything Benning tells you to do, don't answer his calls or return his emails (Like Benning knows how to send an email...ha!) show up at training camp and if he asks why you've been ignoring him dangle a shiny object in front of him, when he's distracted and giggling throw it down the hall and say "If you get it first it's your Jimbo!"

Hmmm I'm going to go out on a limb here but I don't think Benning is the one directing training.

Reactions: biturbo19

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Hmmm I'm going to go out on a limb here but I don't think Benning is the one directing training.

In any organization, staff hired under a manager's watch represent that manager and his philosophy/style while executing the tasks for which they were hired. That is why they are hired, so the manager can have things handled they way he wants them without having to physically be present,

You should know this already, you do not.

That's not good.

Keep on climbing that limb, just a little further now....

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Whoa. Antero Niittymaki reference. Been awhile.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. It seems to be a bit of a pattern forming here. There does seem to be something wrong with the direction these prospects are receiving from the Canucks' fitness/training/nutrition staff.

I don't think assigning them a personal trainer like a bodyguard is really necessary or anything. Most top prospects have professionals they work with during the offseason, wherever they're based out of. You'd imagine most of these are competent and know what they're doing, and typically also work with other established NHLers. But it certainly seems there may be something going awry with this. The NCAA guys that our staff haven't really had any hand in guiding are the ones who are coming in most physically prepared.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Almost a reason to check out TPS games... time to check out finnish streaming services.

Too bad DAZN only covers KHL

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Well he sure like's to comment on it in a couple of cases..McCann he said was up to 200lbs and seems to like it then trades him and Florida wants McCann to slim down and get lean because he was sluggish at that weight. This pre-season he says Juolevi is up to 200lbs and seems to like it and Juolevi looks sluggish and has a meh camp getting beat constantly on gap control. Virtanen comes in at 230 last year and Benning likes it until he craps the bed. Some guys don't do well by adding 20-30 lbs extra weight but this GM seems to want all the light weight kids he drafts to get bigger and heavier, he does have a big say in the training. It will be interesting to see if this pattern continues with Petterssen..can he play at 190-200 or will he look slow and sluggish.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Well he sure like's to comment on it in a couple of cases..McCann he said was up to 200lbs and seems to like it then trades him and Florida wants McCann to slim down and get lean because he was sluggish at that weight. This pre-season he says Juolevi is up to 200lbs and seems to like it and Juolevi looks sluggish and has a meh camp getting beat constantly on gap control. Virtanen comes in at 230 last year and Benning likes it until he craps the bed. Some guys don't do well by adding 20-30 lbs extra weight but this GM seems to want all the light weight kids he drafts to get bigger and heavier, he does have a big say in the training. It will be interesting to see if this pattern continues with Petterssen..can he play at 190-200 or will he look slow and sluggish.

Petterssen better grab a clue pronto and tell Dim Jim what he can do with Big Mac and raw butter diet. At this point, every Canuck prospect should be aware of what has been going on here and know not to work under whatever kind of "Trainers" (y'know the ones that trained Virtanen all summer when he showed up fat and out of shape) the Canucks employ. Benning has no idea what he's doing, and every prospect should be made aware of that by their agents.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Well player development has been a problem for a long time across several regime changes and Roger Takahashi has been the guy in charge.

Maybe the guy just isn't good and has no respect from the players so they don't bother following his plans.

Didn't Smyl get re-assigned to that job?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In any organization, staff hired under a manager's watch represent that manager and his philosophy/style while executing the tasks for which they were hired. That is why they are hired, so the manager can have things handled they way he wants them without having to physically be present,

You should know this already, you do not.

That's not good.

Keep on climbing that limb, just a little further now....

I hope you are consistent with this thinking... i.e. hes responsible for all his draft picks for example.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He is delusional if he thought he had a good camp. He is years away from making the league if he continues on this path (if he is lucky)

The people who think he played horrible are the delusional ones. He needs to get quicker but he did lots of things that demonstrated steps forward from last year, carried the puck away from pressure, made lots of great defensive plays besides the ones where he got beat wide. Overall he was just okay and needs to improve, but he's still an elite prospect (read: not player, yet) and he showed that. Don't blame the player if you're not astute enough at watching hockey to see it.

He's got such great underlying ability that once (if) he gets quicker people will be dropping their jaws at how dynamic he suddenly looks, but don't count me as the among the ones surprised.

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
The people who think he played horrible are the delusional ones. He needs to get quicker but he did lots of things that demonstrated steps forward from last year, carried the puck away from pressure, made lots of great defensive plays besides the ones where he got beat wide. Overall he was just okay and needs to improve, but he's still an elite prospect (read: not player, yet) and he showed that. Don't blame the player if you're not astute enough at watching hockey to see it.

He's got such great underlying ability that once (if) he gets quicker people will be dropping their jaws at how dynamic he suddenly looks, but don't count me as the among the ones surprised.

"Everybody's wrong but me..."

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Petterssen better grab a clue pronto and tell Dim Jim what he can do with Big Mac and raw butter diet. At this point, every Canuck prospect should be aware of what has been going on here and know not to work under whatever kind of "Trainers" (y'know the ones that trained Virtanen all summer when he showed up fat and out of shape) the Canucks employ. Benning has no idea what he's doing, and every prospect should be made aware of that by their agents.

This is probably a myth. Under the CBA, teams can make their facilities available, but, except for rookies attending development camps, teams are not permitted to run any mandatory or voluntary conditioning camps from the end of the regular season until training camp opens. It is not clear the extent to which the team can provide feedback or input into a players workout routine during the off-season, but the team doesn't really have much control over off-season workouts.

It was widely reported that Virtanen was working out at Rogers Place regularly during the summer of 2016, so many assumed he was working out under the direction of the team. It is far more likely that he was just using the facilities.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
This is probably a myth. Under the CBA, teams can make their facilities available, but, except for rookies attending development camps, teams are not permitted to run any mandatory or voluntary conditioning camps from the end of the regular season until training camp opens. It is not clear the extent to which the team can provide feedback or input into a players workout routine during the off-season, but the team doesn't really have much control over off-season workouts.

It was widely reported that Virtanen was working out at Rogers Place regularly during the summer of 2016, so many assumed he was working out under the direction of the team. It is far more likely that he was just using the facilities.

My understanding, which may be out of date, is that teams will generally give players like Virtanen an outline of what they want him to do over the offseason before they break for the summer. IIRC, there was mention that Virtanen was hitting his training benchmarks over the summer and his offseason training was positively reported until later when it was determined that he was super out of shape.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
My understanding, which may be out of date, is that teams will generally give players like Virtanen an outline of what they want him to do over the offseason before they break for the summer. IIRC, there was mention that Virtanen was hitting his training benchmarks over the summer and his offseason training was positively reported until later when it was determined that he was super out of shape.

I think this is true, and there was clearly some kind of disconnect.

I think what probably happened with Jake is that he (and/or the Canucks) saw how he was able to physically dominate in junior and thought if he bulked up he could play that same type of game at the NHL level. But he got bigger at the expense of overall fitness and was unable to keep up with the pace of the game.

Certainly some of that was on the Canucks as I doubt Virtanen put together his whole off-season program without any input from the Canucks trainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad