Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's almost like playing well gets praise and playing like ass doesn't. Huh.

That's totally okay. But much like Virtanen, Juolevi was a bit of a project player. It's one thing to say "he played like crap and he clearly isn't NHL ready yet, hopefully next year", but it's another to day "he played like crap and is clearly a bust."

I'm not saying he was the right pick and that people have to be happy with it, but he is our prospect now and the pick has been made. We shouldn't be writing him off after his first ever NHL camp.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That's totally okay. But much like Virtanen, Juolevi was a bit of a project player. It's one thing to say "he played like crap and he clearly isn't NHL ready yet, hopefully next year", but it's another to day "he played like crap and is clearly a bust."

I'm not saying he was the right pick and that people have to be happy with it, but he is our prospect now and the pick has been made. We shouldn't be writing him off after his first ever NHL camp.
I don’t know if Juolevi was really a project player though. He just hasn’t progressed very well thus far.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Has there been any reports as to why this process is taking so long and with such uncertainty? Was it an issue with London or the Finnish team? Or was it just indecisiveness on the part of Canucks management on where to send him. Just seems like something that should have been already planned out.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Has there been any reports as to why this process is taking so long and with such uncertainty? Was it an issue with London or the Finnish team? Or was it just indecisiveness on the part of Canucks management on where to send him. Just seems like something that should have been already planned out.

No, it had to do with international rules and the CHL. Not something that was a quick decision.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think they made the call late last week and it needed chl and nhl approval as well as finding a team to take him and london to consent.

so factoring in the intervening weekend, i think it could be normal delay.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I don’t think the London Knights had any say in the matter. It was likely CHL and IIHF lawyers confirming that the Canucks interpretation of the international transfer rules is correct and then having TPS Turku securing his playing rights.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully Finland.....if he goes to Europe his contract slides and won't count against the 50 contract slots the Canucks have available....only worry is that he'd be playing the year on the much bigger ice and not sure how that helps him adjust to the smaller NA ice where d-men get hit more and the decisions with the puck have to be a lot quicker.....But assuming that if his season in Finland were to end early, he'd be eligible to report to the Utica Comets?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t know if Juolevi was really a project player though. He just hasn’t progressed very well thus far.

Yeah, he wasn't even remotely a 'project' draft pick. He was taken top-5 overall because he supposedly had the most developed and mature game of any defender available.

If he ends up in Finland, that's the correct move and the correct place for him to be. Needs to be playing against men at this point and learning to actually compete instead of just getting by on his skill level playing against kids.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No, it had to do with international rules and the CHL. Not something that was a quick decision.
It doesn’t seem like an incredibly unique situation though, plus they’ve had the whole summer to plan on where Juolevi was going to play this year.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I'm sure the Comets were really disappointed in losing their leading goal scorer in Shinkaruk. Means jack to the Canucks if the later isn't a NHLer.

I am pretty sure Joulevi will be an NHL player one day, book it.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't doubt that either. AGAIN, whether he'll be a Bryan Allen or a Dan Hamhuis remains to be seen.

Heck, it looks like Jordan Schroeder MIGHT be an NHLer (certainly putting up a good fight to find a spot *on a playoff team*). Still don't lose any sleep over the Canucks not keeping him.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Juolevi was never a project player... it was said he’s NHL ready if he was heavier. His skating, skill and smarts was said to be NHL ready just not strong enough for the NHL.

Reactions: CanaFan

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
When it gets to the point when you are no longer certain (not pretty sure) a 5th overall pick will be an NHL player, they have officially busted. Why draft someone at 5th overall that may not even play in the NHL? Asset management anyone?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
When it gets to the point when you are no longer certain (not pretty sure) a 5th overall pick will be an NHL player, they have officially busted. Why draft someone at 5th overall that may not even play in the NHL? Asset management anyone?
I no where near think he is a bust yet, those are your words. Let's see how this goes.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I no where near think he is a bust yet, those are your words. Let's see how this goes.
I'm not saying he won't be an NHLer - but if he's a borderline NHLer, even a 4-6 dman - isn't that a bust considering the management pretty much saw him and marketed him as a top pairing guy? According to 'Draft Busts' in Wikipedia - "A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations."

Based on what Benning told you - he's a top pairing dman. So if you aren't even certain he will be an NHLer, never mind a top pairing guy - how can he not be a bust. Not saying he is a bad person, etc, just from your statement it seemed like you thought he was a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad