Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
there they are!

i dunno what happened there but somehow i edited my own post so it lives on only in canafan's quote.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You're guilty of trying to 'overfit' fit your data. Juolevi doesn't need to be exactly the same as other players in the top 10 to be comparable. What's relevant is that his total skill set was deemed to be both polished and high end at the time of the draft. Watching him now it looks to be neither polished nor high end. That is why he's not even close to making the NHL. Other players like his London teammate Victor Mete - who is even smaller than Juolevi - is close to making Montreal because he has progressed his skills while Juolevi has not.

You're trying to hard to make excuses for him rather than looking at him objectively. And you're using way too many words to do it.

i am trying to look at this player and understand his progress. i'm not particularly high on the player right now.

i used a lot of words to explain why your theory that he will bust because jared cowen didn't play d+2 and busted is weaksauce.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
i am trying to look at this player and understand his progress. i'm not particularly high on the player right now.

i used a lot of words to explain why your theory that he will bust because jared cowen didn't play d+2 and busted is weaksauce.

My "theory" has nothing to do with Jared Cowan and everything to do with Juolevi's lack of progress in his skills and game over the past year. It'd be one thing if he'd had a great OHL season and then tripped up in camp. That happens. But he had a so-so D+1 season and followed it up with a so-so camp. That has nothing to do with "defensemen take longer" and everything to do without Juolevi's lack of progress. Trying to discount that with a mostly inaccurate truism is really arguing with "broad strokes" rather than speaking directly about the player in question.

Not every player progresses in their D+1 but most future top end NHL Dmen do. Even the ones that "take longer" usually take big steps forward after they are drafted.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
And to be clear, I don't really care that Juolevi didn't make the team after his D+1 season, I care that he didn't even look close. That's the real issue.

Reactions: huntison

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
And to be clear, I don't really care that Juolevi didn't make the team after his D+1 season, I care that he didn't even look close. That's the real issue.

You know who does look pretty close?

Jake Bean

#BeanSquad #Beanernoinbetweener

Jokes aside, I think we can calmly say that McAvoy, Chychrun, Sergachev all look better then Juolevi has. Which is really discouraging to see prospects that were taken later then Juolevi develop faster/better then Juolevi has. Last year was a really bad development year for Juolevi.

Reactions: CanaFan

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Jake Bean

Jokes aside, I think we can calmly say that McAvoy, Chychrun, Sergachev all look better then Juolevi has. Which is really discouraging to see prospects that were taken later then Juolevi develop faster/better then Juolevi has. Last year was a really bad development year for Juolevi.

Hehe, I expect lots of Bean updates if he makes the NHL. I remember you liked him a lot in his draft year.

Reactions: WTG

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
hopefully he goes to Finland and plays against men. I'd hate to see Juolevi go back to London, have Mete get returned, and then be used in a secondary role against other junior players, especially offensively.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Jake Bean

Haven't followed, but if you're right then there's another defenseman who has passed Juolevi. Add teammate Victor Mete to that list who may make Montreal and it's really looking like a bad pick.

Just hope we don't get this "hindight is 20/20" BS because there are many of us who despised this pick the day it was made. Juolevi doesn't need to bust for this to be a bad pick. It already is a bad pick by virtue of how many players we passed up who were better prospects on draft day, and who are much better prospects/established NHLers today.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Haven't followed, but if you're right then there's another defenseman who has passed Juolevi. Add teammate Victor Mete to that list who may make Montreal and it's really looking like a bad pick.

Just hope we don't get this "hindight is 20/20" BS because there are many of us who despised this pick the day it was made. Juolevi doesn't need to bust for this to be a bad pick. It already is a bad pick by virtue of how many players we passed up who were better prospects on draft day, and who are much better prospects/established NHLers today.

just to stoke your fire a bit more. If we didn't trade that 4th in the Gudbranson trade, we could have had Mete. :popcorn: that's just some hindsight though and we could do it all day with every pick.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Watched last year, Mette outplayed Juolevi most nights.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's disappointing is that Juolevi was drafted as a cerebral d-man who could think the game at a high level, and spring his forwards with pinpoint passes....but displayed little of those skills at either the Prospects Tournament or the pre-season games...and also showed an alarming tendency of getting 'walked' by forwards coming at him with speed....this was something that was a big red-flag in London last year as well....I'd be feeling a lot better about the Canuck blueline prospect pool if Tryamkin hadn't bolted to Russia....but maybe Chatfield and Brisebois can come out of nowhere.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Kids a 5th overall pick. There should be no way he’s this bad. To boot, he has a cocky arrogant attitude. I thought he was kidding in his draft interview when he said “I thought I should have gone 1st overall..... “ he wasn’t.

What's disappointing is that Juolevi was drafted as a cerebral d-man who could think the game at a high level, and spring his forwards with pinpoint passes....but displayed little of those skills at either the Prospects Tournament or the pre-season games...and also showed an alarming tendency of getting 'walked' by forwards coming at him with speed....this was something that was a big red-flag in London last year as well....I'd be feeling a lot better about the Canuck blueline prospect pool if Tryamkin hadn't bolted to Russia....but maybe Chatfield and Brisebois can come out of nowhere.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kids a 5th overall pick. There should be no way he’s this bad. To boot, he has a cocky arrogant attitude. I thought he was kidding in his draft interview when he said “I thought I should have gone 1st overall..... “ he wasn’t.

Still not sold on any aspect of his play or attitude.

I'm not sold on Juolevi's offensive game and defensive game either.
Now that Virtanens made a bit of progress..good to see peeps pile on Juolevi...Par for the course really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad